WM8650 Review

svguy

Mar 22, 2011
I recently imported 3 of the 7" VIA WM8650 from China to US. I thought this would be a nice item to sell here in the states and maybe make a little money. I was going to order 25 of them, but decided to just go with 3 to test performance first. Glad I did. Believe me, I HATE to give any product a poor review. But I have spent no less than 25 hours trying to make this thing work at an acceptable level. No, I don't expect Samsung galaxy quality out of this, but... this thing is awful.

7" VIA WM8650
Android Version 2.2
Kernel 2.6.32.9-default
Build Number generic-eng 2.2 froyo v1.1.1-20110308.162514
Resistive screen

1. The device is slow and buggy. For example, flash DOES work, but it's very choppy and can't keep up when watching a tiny cnn . com Video. Also, the device has locked up 3 three times.

2. It cannot access the GOOGLE android market. This is because the application it comes with, LOOKS like it's the android market, it not. It's a Chinese market where most everything is in chinese. So you can't get facebook, angry birds, or the popular apps. I did get the amazon market on it. There is NO WAY to put the google android market on it. The manufacturer MUST put this on.

3. No windows driver... Can't connect to PC. Can't charge it from USB cable.

4. With the power cord plugged in, you can't plug in both USB cables into the adapter (because the power cord is in the way), which falls out easily.

5. Does not have a regular USB port. You have to use a male to male cable, which is hard to find, and $25 (walmart) when you do find it. Doesn't matter anyway because you can't connect it to your windows PC.

6. Screen capture, says, "Save failed". I have tried it with or without my SD card in. Then later it started working again, then stopped again.

7. I put a movie on my SD card and the device will play the movie (yay), but there is distortion (black pixels) in the light areas of the movie (like sky). The same movie plays fine on my other android devices.

8. I downloaded about 6 different basic games from the app market. Only 1 of them played acceptably. The rest were too choppy and too slow to play. Nope, angry birds is too slow to play.

9. WiFi is weak. The signal is marginal when I'm about 25 ft from my wireless router. My computers and android phone have excellent signal strength from there.

10. Touch screen is flaky. When I tap icons, I usually have to tap them a couple times to get the device to respond. When I scroll up and down, through a list of apps, when I lift up my finger, if it was on an icon, the device runs that icon. I have to swipe a couple times, just on the opening unlock screen. Extremely frustrating, because when you tap an icon, you don't know if you're WAITING for it to open because it's slow, or if it didn't register your tap.

I do not believe this is running at 800Mhz at stated by the vendor. The vendor tells me there is no updated ROM for it.

If anyone reads this and says, "WHAT???? my WM8650 is awesome!" I welcome your comments as to how you got it working.

On the plus side, it makes a great digital photo frame, if you prop it up somehow, and a good MP3 player (that won't fit in your pocket).

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks a lot for the review.

Do you have pictures of the devices?

WM8650 is poised to succeed the WM8505. Considering how flaky the WM8505 was, I did not have high hopes for WM8650 either. But your experiences seem to reflect early batch bugs that are correctable.

For Angry Birds, how is the performance if you turn the backgrounds off within the game, and wifi off to kill the ads?

DBAlex

Mar 27, 2011
I recently imported 3 of the 7" VIA WM8650 from China to US. I thought this would be a nice item to sell here in the states and maybe make a little money. I was going to order 25 of them, but decided to just go with 3 to test performance first. Glad I did. Believe me, I HATE to give any product a poor review. But I have spent no less than 25 hours trying to make this thing work at an acceptable level. No, I don't expect Samsung galaxy quality out of this, but... this thing is awful.

7" VIA WM8650
Android Version 2.2
Kernel 2.6.32.9-default
Resistive screen

1. The device is slow and buggy. For example, flash DOES work, but it's very choppy and can't keep up when watching a tiny cnn . com Video. Also, the device has locked up 3 three times.

2. It cannot access the GOOGLE android market. This is because the application it comes with, LOOKS like it's the android market, it not. It's a Chinese market where most everything is in chinese. So you can't get facebook, angry birds, or the popular apps. I did get the amazon market on it. There is NO WAY to put the google android market on it. The manufacturer MUST put this on.

4. With the power cord plugged in, you can't plug in both USB cables into the adapter (because the power cord is in the way), which falls out easily.

5. Does not have a regular USB port. You have to use a male to male cable, which is hard to find, and $25 (walmart) when you do find it. Doesn't matter anyway because you can't connect it to your windows PC.

6. Screen capture, says, "Save failed". I have tried it with or without my SD card in. Then later it started working again, then stopped again.

7. I put a movie on my SD card and the device will play the movie (yay), but there is distortion (black pixels) in the light areas of the movie (like sky). The same movie plays fine on my other android devices.

8. I downloaded about 6 different basic games from the app market. Only 1 of them played acceptably. The rest were too choppy and too slow to play. Nope, angry birds is too slow to play.

9. WiFi is weak. The signal is marginal when I'm about 25 ft from my wireless router. My computers and android phone have excellent signal strength from there.

10. Touch screen is flaky. When I tap icons, I usually have to tap them a couple times to get the device to respond. When I scroll up and down, through a list of apps, when I lift up my finger, if it was on an icon, the device runs that icon. I have to swipe a couple times, just on the opening unlock screen. Extremely frustrating, because when you tap an icon, you don't know if you're WAITING for it to open because it's slow, or if it didn't register your tap.

I do not believe this is running at 800Mhz at stated by the vendor. The vendor tells me there is no updated ROM for it.

If anyone reads this and says, "WHAT???? my WM8650 is awesome!" I welcome your comments as to how you got it working.

On the plus side, it makes a great digital photo frame, if you prop it up somehow, and a good MP3 player (that won't fit in your pocket).

OK, most of those things don't really bother me, except the WiFi issues.

Also, you may want to try some of the following to fix your problems:

Try downloading and running Advanced Task Killer (APK) from below, kill all tasks **and disable WiFi** before running Angry Birds:
http://rechild.mobi/

Try this link to enable the Android market:
Download New Android Market (.apk) For Android 2.2, 2.1 and Prev Versions - Others - Download Center - Pandawill Forum Powered by our member! - Powered by Discuz!

Also, can you try installing & running Angry Birds Lite:
http://aphotix.com/files/apk/com.rovio.angrybirds_lite.apk

If this doesn't work also try installing & running Angry Birds Seasons:
http://mist.breg.si/Android/2.11.10/com.rovio.angrybirdsseasons.v1.1.0.apk

Also, please can you try installing & running Adobe Reader and tell me what the performance is like? (This will also tell me if the OS is really 2.2!)

Adobe Reader APK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/...be/reader/android/10.x/10.0.1/AdobeReader.apk

Hopefully some of this helps, Alex. :D

Last edited:

zhou

Mar 25, 2011

7" VIA WM8650
Android Version 2.2
Kernel 2.6.32.9-default
Resistive screen

the bogomips of wm8650 is only 350M, it is based on 5 years old armv5 technology, most smart phones run on armv6 and ipad is running on armv7. So, wm8650 is a 2 generations behind current technology. avoid buying wm8650.

RomanticEvil

Oct 26, 2010
I've tested and ROM modded this device. It runs like a WM8505, is also slow with e.g. Angry Birds. It's like the WM8505 for Android 2.2. I'm almost done modding a ROM for this device, I don't like it much!

boogyman

Apr 4, 2011
I've tested and ROM modded this device. It runs like a WM8505, is also slow with e.g. Angry Birds. It's like the WM8505 for Android 2.2. I'm almost done modding a ROM for this device, I don't like it much!

I am a little bit sad to see the bad comments on this device. I just ordered on last week. Anyways, for 74$ we cant expect perfomance like ipad or galaxy tab.

In this videos the flash capability looking fine and smooth:

YouTube - VIA 8650 Play YouTube Flash Video

YouTube - VIA 8650 Play CNN Flash Video

I found a solution to play flash videos here: Table 7" wm8650 VIA 926 REVIEW - Android Forum - AndroidPIT I did not tried yet, my tablet have not yet arrived.

Dear RomanticEvil, could you release your modded ROM if you think its worth to try? Did you rooted the tablet? Did you tried to oveclock the device?

Last edited:

boogyman

Apr 4, 2011
@Boogeyman Ok, I rooted the ROM, did a nice custom firmware of it. The device is barely better than the WM8505.

It's up for download!

Thank you very much RomanticEvil. I will check it right after my tablet arrived.

I dont think the CPU has a huge overclock potential. I saw somewhere its default freq is 600MHz. This mean every single CPU is overclocked already. But maybe worth to try to make an OC kernel to see the max speed.

Last edited:

RomanticEvil

Oct 26, 2010
Thank you very much RomanticEvil. I will check it right after my tablet arrived.

I dont think the CPU has a huge overclock potential. I saw somewhere its default freq is 600MHz. This mean every single CPU is overclocked already. But maybe worth to try to make an OC kernel to see the max speed.
It's not a real bad tablet :) but it's not the best, 74$ is a nice price! Here it's 99EUR, about 110/120$ I believe. The ROM is up on my site, another version will arrive soon!

Hi Tipstir, what is your opinion of the WM8650 ?

Mishu69

May 6, 2011
Thanks a lot for the review.

Do you have pictures of the devices?

WM8650 is poised to succeed the WM8505. Considering how flaky the WM8505 was, I did not have high hopes for WM8650 either. But your experiences seem to reflect early batch bugs that are correctable.

For Angry Birds, how is the performance if you turn the backgrounds off within the game, and wifi off to kill the ads?

You can find more real pictures HERE .
So , procesor is WM8650 , ROM is Samsung and Ram is Nanya.
Firmware upgrade 1.2.0 HERE , and some service videos HERE and HERE and HERE etc.

I have a problem to my device : some programs can not connect to the Internet: 1st market, YMessenger, and more... I can not understand why? Opera , Youtube , default browser , work all.
Any idea ?
Thank you !
Updated July 7, 2011 :
With this Uberoid ROM I can acces Android Market, 1st market and YMessenger works.

Last edited:

pauline.riley

Jul 21, 2011
Hi there i bought this wm8650 off ebay and i had to send it back as the market was chinese, i got it back with another market on it which has uk app's but for some reason will only let me download off the origional one which is no help to me at all, as like said somewhere above you cant download facebook etc etc. i heard there was a way to change programe on it but was too complicated for me so i just use it now and then!