WM8850 Error Enabling WiFi

akzz1

Oct 31, 2012
Hi there, I just recently received one of these little wm8850-mid tablets and I have an issue enabling wifi that I just can't find another occurrence of in Google.
Basically I go into settings and slide the wifi from the off position to the on position, it will say "turning on wifi.." but doesn't get beyond that point. The slider will then switch back to the off position yet it will still say "turning on wifi.." Even if I restart the device it will reboot and continue to say "turning on wifi.."

Now the wifi isn't completely broken as I have had it connect about 3 times before and it works perfectly. I had it enabled, turned it off and back on without any problems. The next time I turned it off after that though it hasn't turned back on since.

I've tried contacting the company I purchased it off to get a replacement yet they are slow to respond so I don't mind seeing if I can tinker around with it and find the problem. As it's connected a few times I can only assume it's an internal wire that's at fault, I've done numerous factory data resets and that doesn't help at all.

Does anybody have any idea what I could try? Aside from this one thing there's nothing wrong with the tablet at all and is quite reasonable for the price.

hashmanz

Oct 31, 2012
I have been experiencing the same problem. It particularly happens if I have had it connected to a wi-fi network and then let it go into standby mode.
The only way I have been able to re-gain wifi capability is a reboot.
I've also found that the wifi receiver is not very powerful (compared to say a laptop receiver), it regularly cuts out a wifi connection I move it more than 8-10m from the wireless access point. This could be par for the course for tablets though. I am not familiar enough with mobile devices to know whether this is an anomaly or a common occurrence among tablet devices.

akzz1

Oct 31, 2012
Yes these cheap Chinese things seem to be a bit of a hassle.

In your situation you may want to check if your tablet has a Wifi Sleep Policy option, it could just be that it's enabled and shutting off the wifi during standby. I don't have this option on my tablet (no idea why, mine didn't come with a Windows 8 theme either) but on a phone it's located under Settings > Wireless and Networks > Wi-Fi Settings > (menu) Advanced > Wi-Fi Sleep Policy, you may want to have a look for that.

As in my case, I've almost worked out how to well.. not screw up the wifi. I've been using a app/widget (WiFi Overview 360) to turn it on and off, if I go into System Settings and under wifi it gives me the state on the right hand side. If it's blank or says Turning Wi-Fi on/off, then I'm screwed and need to wait it out. If it says "To see available networks, turn Wi-Fi on" then I'm good to go and the widget will enable me and connect.

If the suppliers don't get back to me soon I'll fiddle around with some Roms or something if I can find them, I have a feeling it's a firmware problem.

Oh well, if you buy cheap this is what happens I guess :p