Won't boot after firmware upgrade

supraseth94

Aug 22, 2011
So I bought a ZT 180 on ebay and it arrived password protected. I thought that putting new firmware on the device would get rid of that so I downloaded a "Firmware Chanante Special v2 ZT180 v2". Tried to install it thought the sd card but it kept returning errors through the process (black screen with lines of text scrolling). The last one I saw was "page lost due to i/o error" or something like that.

Now, when the device boots the screen is weird/fuzzy and doesnt boot all the way. I have tried to load another firmware but it just says "found zt-image update" but then tries to boot instead of going back to the black screen with the scrolling text.

Anyone have an idea what the problem is? Does anyone here have a know working firmware they can send? When I try to reload the say problematic firmware it does get to the black command prompt screen and returns the same errors.

info that may help.
model-zt180102asrta0613s6
sn-yr110726n6000009050

Last edited:

Herkfrog

May 16, 2011
it sounds like you tried to put a version 1 firmware on a version 2 tablet maybe Ok first thing to do is to find out if you really have a V2 and if you do if it is a 512ram 2gb memory or 4gb memory read this post Link (PLEASE READ Before asking questions about Firmware Upgrades (Flashing roms) - SlateDroid.com ) then you can download the right firmware from here Link ( Technical support_ZenithinK ) make sure your sd card is formatted to fat 32 and is set to primary (i use this prg to do that on my windows xp system Link ( Best Free Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition. ) we have also found that not all sd cards will work for installing firmware some do not read right in the zt-180 so you may need to try another card ( 1 or 2 gb cards will work fine)

supraseth94

Aug 22, 2011
Thanks for the response. Looks like I had a series of bad firmwares. I finally got one to load and the system starts up but runs like crap (slow, crashing, keyboard disappearing when typing, screen turning weird colors with wavy lines). I have been trying to load only v2s cause I had read a little tutorial about how to identify your machine. The version that actually got the system running is named "ZT-181_512_4GB_0503" But do you have any suggestions for a good firmware for me? Could there be a problem with the hardware itself? Here is more info to help find the problem.

Model: zt180102asrta0613s6
Serial number: yr110726n6000009050
Ram: 377MB (according to Android System Info)
Flash memory (Internal storage) size: 2.74MB
Screen size: 10.2"
HDMI output port: YES,
Built-in camera: YES
Android version: android_2.2
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@android #4011
Build number: zt180-eng AOSP OPENMASTER eng.root.20110503.120935 test-keys
Mother board color and version number: unknown, have not opened the device (prefer not to open)
Previous flashed/attempted firmware: Many different one. ztupdate file size is now 8.51 MB)

Herkfrog

May 16, 2011
Try reading this post Link ( [Guide]Flashing to 0603 with 0618 Kernel - SlateDroid.com ) i think it will help you a lot and get you the very latest rom ( firmware) if you have a zt-180 V2 512 ram 4gb memory and it looks like you do you will get the files for a G0 and make sure you get the inand files. This is a little more work than just downloading 1 zip file but i think it is worth the trouble and you will like how everything works better....also please note these were beta files that went into the official rom's from the page you downloaded 0503 from. You will find about 4 files that when you click on them to download they just take you to a blank screen these files will need to be right click and saved. Make sure you use the spl file and make sure you have a full battery charge and are hooked up to the ac power supply. hope this helps

rrrr

Sep 3, 2011
So I bought a ZT 180 on ebay and it arrived password protected. I thought that putting new firmware on the device would get rid of that so I downloaded a "Firmware Chanante Special v2 ZT180 v2". Tried to install it thought the sd card but it kept returning errors through the process (black screen with lines of text scrolling). The last one I saw was "page lost due to i/o error" or something like that.

Now, when the device boots the screen is weird/fuzzy and doesnt boot all the way. I have tried to load another firmware but it just says "found zt-image update" but then tries to boot instead of going back to the black screen with the scrolling text.

Anyone have an idea what the problem is? Does anyone here have a know working firmware they can send? When I try to reload the say problematic firmware it does get to the black command prompt screen and returns the same errors.

info that may help.
model-zt180102asrta0613s6
sn-yr110726n6000009050[/QUOTE

you need to download the new virsion from /zenithink.com / to sd card and update your tablet.