Word App Sign-In

Javelin74

Apr 16, 2017
I was able to use Word fine. But now for some reason it requests a sign-in before I can continue.
How do I disable the sign-in for Word. I downloaded a Word file but cannot edit it as it is Read-Only. I tried to save it then open it... but it is still in Read-Only state.
I cannot even just open the file I was working on yesterday!

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@Javelin74: From the description of Microsoft Word on the Play Store.
To create or edit documents, sign in with a free Microsoft account on devices with a screen size of 10.1 inches or smaller.
Unlock the full Microsoft Office experience with a qualifying Office 365 subscription (see http://aka.ms/Office365subscriptions) for your phone, tablet, PC and Mac.

The last update to Word was on 3/23/2017. However, I believe the Microsoft account requirement existed prior to that. The Microsoft account is mandatory to be able to use Word as more than a .docx reader. Therefore, the solution to your dilemma is to create a Microsoft account. As to why it stopped working now when it was working before, taking a WAG the apps have a trial mode, where you can use the features for free for X number of days before they revert to their reduced functionality modes.