[YouTube Video] Viewsonic gTablet with Beasty 2.2.1 Rom & Clemsyn Kernel

mydave

Mar 21, 2011

Beasty 2.2.1 Rom & Clemsyn Kernel on a Viewsonic gTablet. The rom is a full featured custom rom that is based on 1.2 bootloader and Froyo. The developer of the rom is Just4droid. The Kernel was built by Clemsyn. Some of the apps that were captured in this short video are Movie Stream.apk, RockPlayer.apk, TV Shows Stream, Youtube HQ, Angry Birds, PlantzVsZombies, Newspapers, UPnPlay, Market, Dropbox, etc . .

The actual display on the tablet is crisp, but the 640 x 480 frames video is terrible, and the camera angle is a bit off. However, I hope that this would give viewers some ideas how good the combination works.

I've seen some youtube video's that were made for Viewsonic custom rom's. The video quality was commonly less than desirable. I now see similar on my very first one. Disappointed.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Superb job, really nice! And the stationary camera was especially appreciated. :) I cannot believe how fast your tablet is!

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
TV Shows Stream https://market.android.com/details?id=tvshows.kiio.es enables watching FULL TV Shows directly on Android device, full episodes using fullscreen video player, most of them in HD. On the same line of Droid Streamer Pro, Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, CNN, CBS, ESPN, TV.com, PlayOn Mobile, xfinity and others reaches TV Shows Stream; The aplication searchs over internet for hundreds of tv-shows episode links capable to be played directly on Android device, with full screen support using megavideo and other hosting services.

Not sure if it is still available on the market though. And it may not work well on Gingerbread or HC Alpha.

Thanks for watching. If anyone knows how to make a better video, teach me.

Dave,

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks for the info. I'll look for it.

About the video:

Do you have a stand? That will solve the angle issue. Just position your camera where you would normally be looking down at it.
Look into some backlighting. A lamp on in the distant background. Something where you can see the tablet itself and not just the screen surrounded by blackness.
Other than that looked pretty good.

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Perhaps it is the camera too. I have this Canon SD700 IS which did outstanding photo's. This is the first time that I used it for video. The video output is avi. This short video took over 1 Gb which is ridiculous. Uploading to youtube took 8 hours. God forbid. I also tried backlighting, but ran into problem with the reflectivity of the screen.

And Matt, thanks for the comment. I thought that you did try this rom as mentioned in some other post.

Dave,

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Nope, haven't tried Beasty yet. :( I took a break from "experimenting" as the updates on BoS were coming fast and furious. And now we have Flashback (you know I'm partial to HC ROMs) too! I think my priorities are:

(1) "Real" tablet interface (e.g., tab-friendly UI enhancements in gmail)
(2) Plays "large" video files well (not necessarily HD)
(3) Stable system (e.g., wifi, apps, etc.)
(4) Fast, responsive

The rest for me (cameras, flash, GPS, ports, accessories) are pretty secondary to build quality and price.

Anyway, I digress! The point is that TNTLite hit many of those priorities for me (except the first), and with the excitement of a HC ROM, I have been happy to spend more time with BoS (alpha 6.0 has been very responsive, but the latest build lacks adhoc wifi mode). But wow when I watched your video Dave and saw how darn fast Beasty is, I have to admit that I gave priority (1) some additional thought!

-Matt

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Hello Matt,

I am with you on items 2 - 4, therefore once I found this rom, I said to myself, that's it. I tested many popular games, video formats, flash, news, magazines, productivity apps, etc . . . and all worked well. So after I collected a few more kid games, it would be ready for a birthday gift to our grandson.

The few things that I did not try were netflix, hulu, gps; although I heard that those would work well. As for item 1, I am not sure that I understand the difference between this rom and a HC. When I tested BOS, the brightness was dark, and the density was too small. I used lcd density changer for adjustment and it was fair. Then I tried Flashback. It is a step up over the BOS and I really wish the developer would continue and would success. Therefore, I have two nandroid back-ups. One for this Rom and another for Flashback. The latter one is to randomly playing around when there is a new release. If you haven't tried, give it a shot. Actually give both a shot.

Taking about tab-friendly UI, not an android rom would come close to the iPad. Apple products were never our favorite, due to proprietary and price. But after using the iPad, I do think that it deserves the first place.

Dave,

Edit: As for Ad Hoc Wifi, there may be a way to get it done. Check this out http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/189...tabletzpad-t2/page__view__findpost__p__201894

Last edited: