This is a guide to shell root your ZiiO and install Android Market. I can't guarantee if it works or not, so please stop reading if you don't want to take any risks. You might brick your device. However reflashing the original firmware should work if something goes wrong.
ZiiO Market Guide v1.0
1) Download and install Java SDK Java SE Development Kit 6u26
2) Download and install Android SDK Android SDK | Android Developers If Android SDK doesn't find Java SDK installation, press "Back" and then go to next step again. The install program seems to have a bug...
3) Run Android SDK Manager in Administarator Mode. You don't need to set up a virtual device in Android SDK, just install the Android USB Driver.
4) Locate the driver, you might find it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\temp\
5) This is the tricky part. Open android_winusb.inf in Notepad. Locate the section where it reads [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64]. You have added the following lines at the end of the section.
; Creative Ziio 7"
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install,
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install,
(Note: If you want, ZiiO10 users can try to replace 7" with 10" and see if it works.)
6) Save the file.
7) Go to C:\Users\[your login name]\.android\
8) If you can find a file called adb_usb.ini, open Notepad to add the following line
9) If there is no adb_usb.ini, just copy this to a blank file and save it as adb_usb.ini
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
10) Take your ZiiO and switch USB Debugging on (Settings - Applications - Development)
11) Connect ZiiO to your PC. Don't let Windows install the driver automatically. Go to Control Panel and Devices. Locate Ziio (Unknown Device) and install the driver manually (Have Disk - go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\Temp). Ignore the warnings and choose the Android device or whatever it was called.
12) Download and unzip SuperOneClick 1.7 from the end of this post: [APP]SuperOneClick v2.0 (MORE ROOTING!) - xda-developers Only 1.7 seems to work.
13) With your ZiiO connected to PC, use Shell Root with psneuter to get temporary root access to your ZiiO.
14) Download Set Up Google Apps (RAR) from here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QSM6ATPB
15) Unrar all the files to a specific folder. I copied the files to the same folder as SuperOneClick as I'm too lazy to type. Please note: It seems the file 'SetupWizard.apk' is causing problems, so don't install it.
16) Use Command Prompt, go to SuperOneClick folder. Use the command ADB PUSH [yourfilename] [destination directory in ZiiO] to transfer files. For example:
adb push Vending.apk /system/app
17) After pushing the file to ZiiO, use type ADB SHELL in command prompt and type CHMOD 755 [directory/filename] to set permissions back to normal. For example:
# chmod 755 /system/app/Vending.apk
18) Do this for all the files, it takes some time. I honestly don't know if the permission, lib and framework files are needed but I did it anyway. *sigh*
19) When you're done, reboot your ZiiO and try if it the market works.
1) Turn off wi-fi
2) Connect your ZiiO to your PC, use SuperOneClick 1.7 to shell root your tablet
3) Open command line, navigate to your SuperOneClick folder.
4) Use "adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant" to download a backup of your original file
5) Rename the file in your PC as "wpa_supplicant.backup" or whatever you want
6) Download the patch (wpa_supplicant v0.5.11) from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=380322&d=1281834626
7) Unzip the file "wpa_supplicant", and copy it to SuperOneClick folder
8) Use "adb push wpa_supplicant /system/bin" to copy the patch to your ZiiO.
7) To change permissions back to normal, type:
# chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
8) Reboot your ZiiO, switch wifi on.
Source: Android Ad-hoc support hack/wpa_supplicant - xda-developers
Update 17 Nov 2011: New working market version
After the Creative update I decided to try a new version of the Market app, and it seems to work. Download from here: http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/332572/Market-3-3-11-zip.html Just unzip, rename to Vending.apk and push + chmod to ZiiO.
The most difficult thing was to find the right files to a working market, but the key thing is, that Android Market really works, there are no crashes and I can install software with no problems. Wifi also works on ad-hoc mode and I can use JoikuSpot on my cell phone to connect on internet on the move.
Sorry Creative, no more ZiiStore for me.
Im having problems with step 11. I keep getting "error in android composite ADB Interface The parameter is incorrect"
Could you please Make a youtube video explaing step by step how to do this. Im sure many others would also appreciate it. If not you, then anyone, please help by providing a video!