Archos 70b Internet Tablet Question

techerlink

May 1, 2012
Just joined the forum to ask this question:

I wanted to purchase the archos 70b internet tablet from the archos store, but I noticed that it has Google's Honeycomb, while the other models have Ice Cream Sandwich. Why is this the case? Would I be able to upgrade this to the sandwich?

Sorry if this is a newb question; first time buyer of a tablet, wanted to make sure that I get all questions out of the way :p

The Archos 70b is an odd animal. It is not quite a gen9 it is not quite a Gen8. It was introduced as a Gen8.5 and there are 70b units which can be Honeycomb and units which can only be Froyo. I both like and hate Archos for this very reason. My personal opinion is the Archos 70b is an upscale version of their Arnova series. More features, but not really a full Gen9 unit. Thus, I am not putting any bets on it getting ICS 4.x. It is possible, but I am not saying they will.

Hi gurgle,
I just joined the site recently. Ordered the Archos 70b just tnite. I'm newbie to Android Tablets. Can U please explain what you mean by
Gen8, Gen 9, and Gen 8.5 pertaining to the Archos product line.?
Thanks.

Archos systems have been around for a Loooong time for PMP (Personal Media Players) and have progressed to tablets. Archos gives each new product line a Generation code. That is why there is the G9 for newer 101 and 80 tablets series. The kernel of the OS has always been a Linux until Generation 7/7.5. The Archos 5 Android and Archos 7 Android are Generation 7. The Archos 101/70/43/32/28 and 35 are all Gen 8. The 70b is a Gen 8 and Gen 8.5. The .5 means it is an in between model. It does not fully fit into either the prior or current generation.

Hi gurgle,
I just joined the site recently. Ordered the Archos 70b just tnite. I'm newbie to Android Tablets. Can U please explain what you mean by
Gen8, Gen 9, and Gen 8.5 pertaining to the Archos product line.?
Thanks.

Back