[HowTo] A2109 Fastboot

@vampirefo.

root@site:~# fastboot -i 0x17ef oem unlock
< waiting for device >

If this doesn't work, I can forget the rest.

Maybe there is something wrong with the adb and fastboot installation. Where did you download it and how did you do the installation, with a script or manually?

@anika200
No I am not new to linux, I am using it over 10 years and I am familiar with the command line and bash scripting. I have read so many instructions and got so many help, which didn't work, so I ask you very kindly to tell me the link, which I should read again carefully. I promise I do, if I know, what I should read.

In the meantime I fear my fastboot installation is not working correctly. Any ideas how to check this?

adb seems to work, because I get an info, that the device is attached, while I never got anything that looks like, that fastboot works.

# lsusb | grep Lenovo

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 17ef:74e6 Lenovo

/etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e12", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", ATTR{idProduct}=="0fff", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e22", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e20", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="22b8", ATTR{idProduct}=="70a9", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="708c", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="18d1", ATTR{idProduct}=="4e30", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d101", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d022", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", ATTR{idProduct}=="d010", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0451", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"

This is new in /root and the home-dir
.android/adb_usb.ini

# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x17ef

I think I have to test with a simple fastboot-command first, like:

fastboot -i 0x17ef reboot

< waiting for device >

The problem is, that fastboot doesn't recognize the device, while adb does.

Last edited:
Ok I don't like anything you have mind getting rid of all of it and starting over, just using what i post?

@vampirefo.

If this doesn't work, I can forget the rest.

Maybe there is something wrong with the adb and fastboot installation. Where did you download it and how did you do the installation, with a script or manually?

@anika200
No I am not new to linux, I am using it over 10 years and I am familiar with the command line and bash scripting. I have read so many instructions and got so many help, which didn't work, so I ask you very kindly to tell me the link, which I should read again carefully. I promise I do, if I know, what I should read.

In the meantime I fear my fastboot installation is not working correctly. Any ideas how to check this?

adb seems to work, because I get an info, that the device is attached, while I never got anything that looks like, that fastboot works.

I've said this before, but I don't know if you've tried it: When I boot into fastboot mode by vol down + power, fastboot doesn't work. If I am in adb mode and enter 'adb reboot bootloader', when fastboot mode loads, it works (after a couple seconds to detect the device). The syntax in linux may be different, but your tablet may only work with fastboot in that fashion, as mine does.

adb_usb.ini

gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

#LENOV0 Ideapad A2109A
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="74e6", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="74e8", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"

copy my fastboot and adb /usr/bin set permissions

reboot computer here.

download quickboot from market

select bootloader

as root

Last edited:
@vampirefo
My fastboot binary came with my adb binary via android-sdk-linux.
android-sdk_r21.0.1-linux.tgz Android SDK | Android Developers
I copied them both to /usr/bin/

I downloaded adt-bundle-linux-x86_64.zip (392.4MB)

Your adb _fastboot.zip is 167.3kb.

What I can say at first sight, that your binaries have different md5sums than mine.

from http://adb-fastboot-install.googlecode.com/files/Androidv4.zip (recommended by anika200)
0d1f042160f47bb5eb3db5d039670f74 /usr/bin/fastboot

from http://dl.google.com/android/adt/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64.zip
99c3e4fb4e88d837878a56083d9681d2 Downloads/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot

from adb _fastboot.zip (vampirefo)
9893e1618501d0a5515e01a734e6e1be Downloads/adb _fastboot/fastboot

Did you copy anything other than adb and fastboot from the platform-tools somewhere?

I tried all 3 fastboot with fastboot -i 0x17ef reboot and everytime I get < waiting for device >

@FloRider:
I tried 'adb reboot bootloader' very often and I do it again:

Immediately I got a blank screen on the display of the A2109A, see the "USB-connected-logo" in the middle and on the top 2 lines with

Entering Fastboot based on booting mode configuration
Starting Fastboot USB download protocol

But how I go on?

Do I have to enter a command in my linux shell on the pc?

Hey, this time something worked:

# adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot -i 0x17ef reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.001s

I go on with testing and give a feedback, when something important happens.

hey you are at least making progress, as for myself I dumped the system, recovery and boot.img, modified the boot.img to always be root.
is your Linux 64bit or 32bit, i always use 32bit.

and no i did copy anything else to usr/bin/

adb_usb.ini

gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules

#LENOV0 Ideapad A2109A
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="74e6", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="17ef", ATTR{idProduct}=="74e8", MODE="0600", OWNER="<~/>"

copy my fastboot and adb /usr/bin set permissions

reboot computer here.

download quickboot from market

select bootloader

as root

Sorry I didn't see this, since I was trying
FloRider's way and I am little step further, but now it hangs:

root@client2:/home/xy/Downloads/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools# /home/xy/Downloads/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools/fastboot -i 0x17ef oem unlock...
(bootloader) Use device key for selection.
OKAY [ 0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.001s

root@client2:/home/xy/Downloads/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64/sdk/platform-tools# fastboot -i 0x17ef boot '/install_nfs/androidins/ideapad/ics/A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img'
downloading 'boot.img'...

On the A2109A display I see:

Showing unlock menu
Press <Volume Up> to select, <Volume Down> for selection move

Don't unlock it
Unlock it

So I rhink I should have pressed the buttons on the tablet to unlock it first, before I entered the 2nd command
fastboot -i 0x17ef boot '/install_nfs/androidins/ideapad/ics/A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img'

Ok, I see "Bootloader is unlocked now", after executing "fastboot -i 0x17ef oem unlock". I had to press first Volume down and then up.

fastboot -i 0x17ef boot '/install_nfs/androidins/ideapad/ics/A2109_CWMrecovery-6.0.1.9c.img' is fine now too:

downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 1.039s]
booting...
OKAY [ 0.248s]
finished. total time: 1.288s

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks a lot better now. IMHO the only difference is, that I used another fastboot now.

So please be kind and help me how to go on, I am nearly done. I don't want to search in all the threads what I have to do now.

I see CWM Based Recovery v6.1.0.9. In the middle is a logo with a head.

AFAIR I need to install Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip (install zip from sdcard)

Do I have to wipe something too, if so before or after installing Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip?

There are no private data stored on the tablet.

There is:

wipe data / factory reset
wipe cache partition

There is a rumour, that wipe is necessary to get no battery drain.

My tablet was reset to stock once I unlocked the bootloader, just install the Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip and reboot.

Well, I thought it shouldn't be a problem, if I wipe with both options and after the reboot everything seems to be fine. SDMaid asked for superuser permissions, so it is rooted now. Crazy that I used a fastboot which didn't work correctly. It took me days. I will see your other hints re udev-permissions in the next time, but it looks my setup works too. To repeat it, adb and fastboot from http://dl.google.com/android/adt/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64.zip in sdk/platform-tools worked for me. I didn't try the versions of vampirefo, since it worked, but I assume, it works, since it worked at his pc. I am using Xubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.2.0-35-generic and 64bit CPU. With XP I tried the 32bit version with a 64bit CPU. I am happy that I got it work with linux.

Thanks to all who helped me! I hope I pressed enough thank.buttons ;-)

Wow, good job everybody. I was beginning to wonder if we would pull it off :rolleyes:
@a2109a next challenge for you...nandroid backup.

Back