Jelly Bean Upgrade Failed, "Unfortunately, Google Account Manager has stopped" error

ericw33

Dec 30, 2011
On my Acer A700 I upgraded to Jelly Bean last night. Everything went fine, however, now whenever I start up the tablet I get a, "Unfortunately, Google Account Manager has stopped", error.

This occurs during "boot-up" (about 10 times in a row, very annoying), when I assume it's trying to sync, it also occurs in the Control Panel -> Accounts -> Google, and the Google Play store does not work at all (no doubt as it can't access Google account).

Model - A700
Android - 4.1.1
Kernel 3.1.10+
Image Version - Acer_AV051_A700_RV10RC02_PA_CA
Build Version - Acer_AV051_A700_1.038.00_PA_CA
Image P/N - FM.S1MAO.03H

Aside from the "Google Account Manager" error the tablet works much better - faster, smoother, cooler and better response. gReader Pro an my K-9 mail sync fine.

Any thoughts?, should I delete my Google account and recreate?

EW

btw - Got a response from Acer - basically to put it back to factory defaults. lol, the email didn't even mention doing - oh simple things like - backups first - crazy! If someone with no/little computer experience got that email and followed it they would loose everything - there are NO warning at all about loss of data and so on.

I'm doing a backup now to one of my drives, will backup the microSD card next and will re-install the OS if I can't find a dimple solution - got 2 backup tablets anyways. There's likely a simpler way to fix this - I'll try flushing a cache first, however, sometimes it's nice to refresh the OS anyways.

EW

...Just completed my re-install. Same comments as most on Jelly Bean - very fast, very smooth, corner sensitivity issue fixed, missed-taps issue corrected, less heat. brighter screen (seems to me), screen seems to scroll much faster/smoother, more options especially in the control panel and everything runs faster.

Compared to my Gateway G60 (Acer A500) it was already very fast - now - it's super fast. The A700 is much thinner and easier to hold then the G60/A500, and battery life is much better.

Great I picked up a A700 before when sales were poor (everyone waiting for the Asus TF700, or worried the "problems". While the A700 was on sale for $370.00 (Canada) and I got a $200 discount on top of this (so I paid $170), the TF700 is/was $499 (plus taxes). So Acer/Android have done a great job in addressing all the issues and I saved a bundle with the Acer as (like previous products) they kept upgrades going. MO, the A700 with better build quality was a better (and much cheaper) choice then the Asus TF700. Both are excellent products - aimed at different parts of the market.

For backups, I did a backup to my network, the microSD card, OTA cloud service. I also configure all my tablets the same way - so I just "copy" the setup visually. This way if one tablet is down the others are the same (in appearance) so there is no learning curve.

EW

Sheesh a million hours later, everything is in and just perfect and now I find out Bluetooth does NOT work. Back to Acer tech - I hope they don't say re install it all - again.

EW

I figured it out, and updated Acer. In case anyone else gets it here is the cause:

".. I think I solved it. I re-installed Jelly Bean 4.1.1 a second time, tested and confirmed that Bluetooth was working. I then installed applications 1 panel at a time, testing after each panel/group. Once I got the range of applications where Bluetooth failed, I then removed one application at a time until I got it working and isolated the one at fault.

I have one more test to run, but it looks like it was caused by "Equalizer" by "Smart Android Apps, LLC".

I can give more specifics if you require it for your help-desk database (for others users). Google Play shows about 30,000+ downloads of his, likely, you'll run across this again. .."

EW

Back