Security Pattern Message

AmitaBeyond

Sep 21, 2021
I haven't used my tablet for awhile, and when I pulled it out there was an unfamiliar message above my security pattern. It says, "For your %1$ssecurity%2$s, draw your pattern". Is this worrisome? Has there been an automatic update recently that I missed seeing because I was incommunicado for a week+?

I am reluctant to enter my pattern and use my tablet until I find out where this curious message came from.

Upon every boot or reboot Android will ask for your pin or pattern lock. Totally normal. I encounter it every time I reboot my Pixel 2 XL after an update to LineageOS.

Upon every boot or reboot Android will ask for your pin or pattern lock. Totally normal. I encounter it every time I reboot my Pixel 2 XL after an update to LineageOS.
Thanks for the reply. I also have to enter my pattern lock to open my device. Most every time I use it, in fact, but the message is new. On top of that, the symbols and the way it is phrased don't seem right... almost like a "second-language" translation. That's what worried me. If it updated recently, I might expect something new to pop up, but I don't know if it has.

The problem is I know there is malware that can capture keystrokes. I would assume lock patterns can also be captured? Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but I hadn't seen the message before.

Take a picture of the lock screen so we can see what you're referring to?

Take a picture of the lock screen so we can see what you're referring to?
Thanks. Can't do that now. Wish I'd thought of it initially. I needed to get on the tablet, and as I couldn't find ANYTHING on the phrase anywhere on the net, I finally took a chance. Tablet opened normally and I haven't seen any other unusual behavior, but who knows. Now, after being unlocked once, it is back to its default phrase.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure a picture would have been helpful. It was a completely normal lock screen, except the usual, "Draw unlock pattern" phrase had been replaced with the one above. Same font, same font size, same color, just different words, even after a reboot. I guess time will tell if I made a mistake. Need to see if I can find a good protection program, now.

But thanks for answering. You were the only one who did and I really appreciate it!

Back