Source Code

Sweet, so the zImage worked? THats great news!

When you are done, please post the exact steps/commands you took to build the image for all of us.

1. sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev
2. Archive: Java[tm] Technology Products Download
3. Download JDK/JRE - 5.0 update 22
4. chmod +x jdk-1_5_0_22-linux-i586.bin
5. sudo ./jdk-1_5_0_22-linux-i586.bin
6. answer yes to proceed with install of java jdk
7. export ARCH=arm
8. export CROSS COMPILE=arm-eabi-
9. Download http://dl.google.com/android/ndk/android-ndk-r4-linux-x86.zip
10. extract to somewhere in your home dir i had it at /home/jim/Downloads/android-ndk-r4
11. edit make file in android-linux-2.6.32.9-union-release
12. replace CROSS_COMPILE = /home/infotm-sqa/helen_p7901/trunk/android-2.2_release/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
with
CROSS_COMPILE = /home/jim/Downloads/android-ndk-r4/prebuilt/linux-x86/build/prebuilt/linux-x86/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
13. save makefile
14. sudo make
15. wait a while mine took about 45mins on slow pc.
16. Find zImage in /android-linux-2.6.32.9-union-release/arch/arm/boot directory

hope this helps

A bit jumbled but I'm sure I'll figure it out later.
It can only be compiled on Mac/Linux

Last edited:
1. sudo apt-get install git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev
2. Archive: Java[tm] Technology Products Download
3. Download JDK/JRE - 5.0 update 22
4. chmod +x jdk-1_5_0_22-linux-i586.bin
5. sudo ./jdk-1_5_0_22-linux-i586.bin
6. answer yes to proceed with install of java jdk
7. export ARCH=arm
8. export CROSS COMPILE=arm-eabi-
9. Download http://dl.google.com/android/ndk/android-ndk-r4-linux-x86.zip
10. extract to somewhere in your home dir i had it at /home/jim/Downloads/android-ndk-r4
11. edit make file in android-linux-2.6.32.9-union-release
12. replace CROSS_COMPILE = /home/infotm-sqa/helen_p7901/trunk/android-2.2_release/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
with
CROSS_COMPILE = /home/jim/Downloads/android-ndk-r4/prebuilt/linux-x86/build/prebuilt/linux-x86/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
13. save makefile
14. sudo make
15. wait a while mine took about 45mins on slow pc.
16. Find zImage in /android-linux-2.6.32.9-union-release/arch/arm/boot directory

hope this helps

sorry i only have xubuntu installed so no windows guide

A bit jumbled but I'm sure I'll figure it out later.
It can only be compiled on Mac/Linux

jb2kred's steps are similar to this [HOW-TO] Build your own kernel package from source.

Last edited:
i wish i had found that post as spent ages looking and found this one

http://www.robmcghee.com/android/compiling-an-android-kernel/

@jb2kred, Are the instructions you provide specific to a version of Linux? The instructions in the link that cfrockit posted indicate that this can only work on an old version of Ubuntu. I have 11.04 Natty loaded on my PC's (dual/triple boot).

Code:
2. replace CROSS_COMPILE	=  /home/infotm-sqa/helen_p7901/trunk/android-2.2_release/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
with 
CROSS_COMPILE	= /home/jim/Downloads/android-ndk-r4/prebuilt/linux-x86/build/prebuilt/linux-x86/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-

Struggling with this part

When I replaced the original with
Code:
CROSS_COMPILE	= /home/jeremy/Downloads/android-ndk-r4/build/linux-x86/prebuilt/linux-x86/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-
(Which is exactly the directory path), it comes back saying command not found and path not found.

sorry might have miss typed try
CROSS_COMPILE ?= /home/jeremy/Downloads/android-ndk-r4/build/prebuilt/linux-x86/arm-eabi-4.4.0/bin/arm-eabi-

Yeah,I'll give it another try, if not I'll post a screenshot of my directory. I'm on my windows partition right now playing a game.

Back