Alternate ways to power on TC970(ADB?)

revolvingmonk

Mar 23, 2012
I recently got a Lepan TC 970 for free from a friend because the power button was broken on it. After taking apart the case I was unable to reattach the power button so I used the razor part from a box cutter and held it over where the power button was on the circuit board which started the tablet up. I was able to boot it into recovery and flash CWM and Cyanogen mod but the camera was no longer working. After searching around a bit I found a newer version of CM7 with a working camera but I am now unable to use my razor trick to power the tablet on. When I plug it in the battery charging icon comes up so I'm convinced the tablet isn't fully useless.

Is anyone aware of a way to replace the power button/mechanism on the circuit board or of an alternative method to simply power the tablet on? I haven't had the time to try using ADB to do it but will ADB boot the device even if it is powered off? Thanks for any help you all can give me.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
To be able to run ADB, the tablet would need to have USB Debugging turned ON. Since you have CM7 beta installed, that's already on, by default. :)

Bad news, I don't think you can connect via ADB to a totally powered off device. Give it a try, 'adb devices' will probably not report any devices attached.

Regarding the switch substitution, I haven't opened mine, but it should be doable for someone with a good fine tipped soldering iron and the skill to use it.

you could also consider opening a case with Le Pan tech support (they are in California), and ask if they would replace the switch for you, for a fee even. They list batteries and the cost for replacing them, so maybe you could get them to repair it.

Is is still under warranty? Probably, as the product was launched around July last year. You would need proof of purchase to request service under warranty, and they also might disqualify it if they think that was accidental breakage, not a component failing issue.

Good luck! :0

Last edited:

philtronik

May 6, 2012
I dropped my Le Pan Tablet on the floor and the power button was smashed. I open it and I saw that the small tini switch was removed from the board, I tried to put it back, but with no luck, I would need to weld it to the board. So I saw a button on the board when I open the board, it's the Reset switch. So to turn on the Table, just use a paper clip and press the Reset button, the table will turn on.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
there is also an app called "fix my broken power button" (no kidding) from what i have read it will make your volume rocker act as a power button. In addition there is a guide on how to repair a broken power button at lepanlife.com