Amazon's Kindle Fire Gets One-Click Root Access, 3rd Party App Install, & ADB Access

Discussion in 'Android Tablet News' started by dgstorm, Nov 16, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member

[​IMG]

Here is a little reminder that the new Amazon Kindle Fire officially shipped today, and even more importantly, it has already been rooted, and we have some instructions for side-loading 3rd party apps, and ADB usage!

Updated: Our original source for this story was right here in or Kindle Fire forums, death2all110. We want to give a shout out to him as a thank you for sharing this great info. Here's a quote from his post with adb & root instructions:
    Below is another list of instructions culled from several sources to give you an exhaustive source of info.

First, to install 3rd party apps, the process is pretty simple.
    Second, the root instructions come courtesy of XDA Developers. Here is an instruction set to root the device:
    Finally, here is the breakdown of gaining ADB (Android Debug Bridge) access so you can dig deeper into your Android device to copy files, install apps, read logs, run shell commands, and more. Here's the instructions straight from our friends over at AndroidPolice,
    Now power-users and tweakers can play to their heart's content. At $199.99, this customizable little device is starting to look pretty appealing. What do you think?

Source: AndroidPolice, TalkAndroid, and XDA Developers

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. dodgefan67

dodgefan67 Member

Tablet / Device:
    don't own one yet
    knew it would not take long to hack that thing. a buddy at work got his yesterday and brought in today. its heavier than i expected and i wasn't too impressed with it, but we did not have a wifi signal at work so i really could not do a lot with it. sure wish it had an hdmi out and an sd card slot

3. tonyp

tonyp Member

Jerry, could you elaborate a bit on what did not impress you? The items you just mentioned above, or were there any usability or interface impressions that you did not care for?

4. dodgefan67

dodgefan67 Member

Tablet / Device:
    don't own one yet
    should have played with it a bit more, but the main things that caught my attention was the interface (not standard Android but Amazons rendition), the weight, the glass screen had a lot of glare, the viewing angles were ok unless you tipped the top of it away from you which i think may be typical. it worked fine, was quick and responsive, but for me it just didnt live up to the hype, BUT i should hold final judgement until i get more time with one on wifi to test the Silk browser and other stuff like that

5. tonyp

tonyp Member

Thanks. Looking forward to your further thoughts. I pre-ordered the Tablet as that seemed to fit my needs a bit better. Initial reviews of both yesterday seem to confirm the viewing impression that you had for the Fire, and what appears to be by contrast a nice viewing experience on the Tablet. Hope to find out about that very soon.

6. xhxz7672

xhxz7672 Member

Tablet / Device:
    Tabletting
    Here is a little reminder that the new Amazon Kindle Fire officially shipped today, and even more importantly, it has already been rooted, and we have some instructions for side-loading 3rd party apps, and ADB usage!