Android Dual-Boot Tablet

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Discussions' started by robertkjr3d, Aug 30, 2012.

1. robertkjr3d

robertkjr3d Junior Member

I'm poking around the market. I'm looking for a Windows 7/8 dual-booter with Android Honeycomb and/or above. But it has to be better than 1024x768 resolution... a 10 inch tablet. I do need the Android App store to work. I also don't want to pay through my nose. I realize I may be a little too early for this market, it seems. Most dualboot tabs seem to be Win7/Froyo. Or buy a win7 mutti-touch tab and put Bluestacks on it (which I'm guessing wouldn't really work that well).

Anywhere to look yet? for real.
  2. leeshor

leeshor Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Transformer TF700
    Welcome to the forum

There have been some Windows 7 Android dual boot tablets in the past but none that are current as they were VERY expensive and the Windows 7 very slow.

You are unlikely to see a dual boot Windows 8 Android tablet in the future for 2 reasons. The real Windows 8 tablets will be running on on x86 platforms rather than ARM processors and because of that, they too will be expensive. In the near term, just South of $1,000 US. The second reason you may not see that combination is because Micro$oft is configuring Windows 8 with a secure bootloader which will make it difficult to impossible to dual boot anything.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. robertkjr3d

Thanks... When googling around I've seen some hints at Windows8/Android here and there. But I see your point. I even watched a video that looked pretty impressive, something called a 'Winslate' from the UK, but it didn't seem to be available for pricing, and likely very expensive.

Another question... If I do go the road with Windows. Is bluestacks a real way to keep my Android life alive? I seen their might be a way to make it have the market too.

But I still want to entertain others if they have more comments on the dual-boots tabs.
  4. leeshor

Tablet / Device:
    Transformer TF700
    I did forget about that slate but if I remember it was basically Windows 8 with a VM akin to Bluestacks. But that's isn't dual boot either.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. robertkjr3d

I actually registered at the tablestoreuk.com that supposedly sells the 'winslate', but it is one of those companies that seems very unresponsive. I sent them an email (no response), I registered (no response). The site actually isn't very intuitive. It is like they don't want to sell anything at all. (or how do they sell anything at all?/perhaps normally just to large corporations.) The base price was set at about $700+ US... but completely unclear about the dual-booting. It was only in the video, showcasing the tablet. Almost like you had to figure out how to hack the tablet to put both OS(s) on yourself.

Update: I did get a reply from tablestoreuk.com ... However I couldn't make sense of it.

Update: I did get a reply that made a little more sense ... However I think I'm going to choose a different path. See my next post.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  6. robertkjr3d

I think I'm going to go this route: To buy a nice Windows8 tablet and keep my Android life alive with Bluestacks. I've been reading glowing reviews on how it is supposed to work wonders. There are certain apps I want to carry around that only work on Android. Of course there are certain applications that only work on Windows.
  7. leeshor

Tablet / Device:
    Transformer TF700
    There are ALSO certain apps that do not currently work in Bluestacks. It's not a perfect clone.

Also since both versions of Windows 8 are, well, Windows 8, Bluestacks will need to be modified to run since standard Windows programs won't.
  8. Natey2

Natey2 Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nexus 7, iDeaUSA CT702/YG A777