Android tablet or ipad?

dragoro

Aug 21, 2011
Ive had the ipad 1 for about 6 months. Just got my Iconia 500 today. I couldnt stand the limitations that apple puts on you. Especially the no flash. I visit a lot of guitar sites and people post a lot of vids, and I couldnt watch 90% of them on the ipad. Cant use google music on it, cant post on google+ unless you use the mobile version of the site.

tvdinner

Jun 24, 2011
I watch movies on my Acer every day. I simply move them from my computer to my tablet with a usb memory stick or download direct.
so far i love my acer because it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY easier to move files to and use then the ipad. i had both and find the acer far superior.

Jul 30, 2011
galley.ak - I agree it can be frustrating to us first time Android users. I've had my a500 for two weeks and finding things much easier. The first day or two I was like huh?? but then it started making sense and i'm loving my tablet.

Yeah...same thing with me! Now, I seem to naturally reach for my tab.

pda963

Aug 23, 2011
The one thing that the Ipad has over the Android is a real word processor, no android word processor has a spell checker built in, sad but true, other than that i love the tab.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
The one thing that the Ipad has over the Android is a real word processor, no android word processor has a spell checker built in, sad but true, other than that i love the tab.

Another thing it has over the a500/Android is Price!!

dragoro

Aug 21, 2011

I hate ipads auto correct. It drove me nuts changing my words to words i didnt want.

matt92617

Aug 21, 2011
"I watch movies on my Acer every day. I simply move them from my computer to my tablet with a usb memory stick or download direct.
so far i love my acer because it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY easier to move files to and use then the ipad"

- but then again you have to use handbreak to convert movies into proper resolution. from what I heard Acer doesnt play well high resolution movies, at least I saw that on bunch of youtube reviews.
- as for ability to upload anything into Acer without iTunes +10000000, forgot to add that into my review.
- also Acer supports so many more formats, for example I am able to play .flv movies and see actual thumbnails for .flv movies - something that I couldn't even do on my windows 7. so in short, yes android is a powerful media player but lack of netflix and skype are just 2 big killers for it. for someone who doesn't know much about computers, iPad is still better solution IMO. for regular folks <80 years old, android should do just fine.

StoneKy

Jul 30, 2011
You don't have to use Handbrake. If you already have a rip then you can use This and it's Free. If you do download the suite then click on Mobiles then Free Video to Android, there is an Acer Iconia a500 preset, use it.

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
galley.ak

You mentioned that Movies and Music were your main problems.

I use Moboplayer which will play just about anything, though most of my collection are avi. This is an easy to use, free app which will prompt you to download anything you need the first time you run it.

As for Music, there are several good apps, depending on whether you just want to play and listen or you may want all the bells & whistles (album covers, Artist data, Album etc).

Have a look at WinAmp, PowerAmp, Songbird, there are plenty of others in the Market too. I don't use the Acer for mp3, I still use my iPod for that ;-0

As mentioned before, just copy anything you want onto a MicroSD card and pop it into your machine. Navigate to the card within the app and play away.

I found there was an issue with the Acer A500 not being recognised by Windows without a driver when Acer could quite easily have made it mount like an external drive, maybe your Mac would've been able to see it then. But I suspect Acer didn't want the general public accidentally deleting files at system level that easily. Us dabblers have found you need ROOT access to do that :)