Are we Penny wise?

YEMIN3M

Aug 23, 2012
Hello fellow "Androidian" folks,

I'm relatively new to this platform, but the thing that struck me the most is that the fora are filled with people who have fallen victim to one of the many pitfalls and problems given by the undependable ePads /aPads out there; or more commonly understood as "China Pads".

I am one of such victims and it got me here. Yeah, so its cheap and initially seems to be too good to be true, considering the functions they boast, but also considering the time, money and effort we expend on fixing these things, which mostly come to naught, I was just wondering if we weren't better off going for the more expensive but tested and trusted branded tablets. Its true that when things seem to be too good to be true; it truly is, isn't it?
My ePad unfortunately worked for about 48 hours before it just clunked out on its own. It seems to have this firmware problem which I'm yet to fix; I hoping someone would come to my rescue. Nevertheless, I see so many other people have this same problem too and a host of others, which don't usually happen with the more mainstream tablets.

Leads to think and ask why these pads are so unreliable, but yet we fall victim to purchasing them, and not fully getting our money's worth! Is the problem with the pads or us and how can we help other people from slipping down this road we've unfortunate to found ourselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's what I've observed from hanging out on this platform. You are also welcome to share your experiences that either buttress or disprove my view. We'll let the facts judge!

Yours,
A regretful owner of an unusable ePad.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm in total agreement. There seem to be so many tablets out there that it's difficult to see what the real differences are. The problem is what they don't say in the description rather than what they do say and it's difficult to make a check list that covers everything.

My personal though is that the best solution is to purchase a mainstream tablet from one of the majors be it ASUS ACER, Samsung or some other well known vendor. You are 100% on the penny wise. There are many tablets here on the forum that are owned by so few people that it's difficult to get or give answers for some of the issues the owners experience.

kingbrowne

Apr 24, 2012
China Pads are an adventure and not for the faint of heart.

The Pro - Normally cheaper than the mainstream.....that is slowly changing.
The Con - Usually poor quality control
-Very little after-sales support.

The big difference in pricing has been the driving force of the Chinese made tablets. Consider an Ipad2 16gb at $399 vs Chinapad 16gb at $180.

That difference gets even bigger when you start looking at the the Samsumg, Toshiba and Asus. The good news is that the better brands are now lowing their prices to be competitive, while the China pads are slowing creeping up. Soon the difference may be so small that it matters none, but until that happens, the Chinapad will always look attractive.