Can you help a Marine out

sigsauer33

Apr 27, 2011
I am a Marine currently deployed to Afghanistan and i would like to upgrade my Acer A500 to the newest OS. Problem is, I dont have WiFi, so i am trying to find a place to download the update to my PC then put it on the Acer. Below is my current Specs on the A500, keep in mind i ahve been here for a while so you will see how outdated i am. Thank you in advance for your help.

Andriod Version: 3.0.1
Kernel 2.6.36.3
Build: Acer_A500_1.141.07_com_GEN1

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
I'm not sure this will work for you.
It may be a different version than what you need.
If it is not what you need then go to
Acer Iconia A500 - xda-developers
There is a section there somewhere that has several updates for several versions.
Sorry I don't have a link to the thread but with some research on threads about not being able to update will have some information.
Also you may need to update to 3.1 before 3.2.
It is all addressed somewhere in the threads.
I updated using the link below and downloaded it to my computer, extracted the update.zip, put the update.zip on a micro sd and installed.
After inserting the sd in the A500
Hold the volume down button and continue to hold while powering up.
Once you see a few lines in the upper left of the screen you can let go the volume and let it do it's thing.
Takes about 5 minutes or less to install.
http://vache-android.com/files/Acer_...1_COM_GEN2.zip

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You can update by downloading this using your PC. Connect and mount via USB. Copy to the root of the tablet drive. Reboot. It should recognize the presence of the update.
http://cdn.acer.futuredial.com/Acer_A500_1.139.04_4.010.24_COM_GEN1_1309952021200_ca2581ee.zip . That will get you to 3.1 You can then repeat and do the same with the 3.2. This link is from the July 2011 update.

UPDATE: Just tried this link. Looks like it is now dead. XDA will be the best source

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Several pages in XDA to check out:

This one lists all the available Updates:
[OTA] Full Package and Update (29/09/2011) - xda-developers

Buy you might be able to save yourself wading thru that monster thread by going instead to this thread:
Full (not OTA) Acer_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2 - xda-developers
It goes directly to the current release.

The link frnkws posted seems really slow to load, and actually stalls out much of the time.

A faster links to 3.2 (Acer_A500_7.006.01_COM_GEN2) is located here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZTKEMFF6
Its 357 Meg. Pure Stock Acer.

When you download that and unzip it you get another zip inside of it named update.zip.

Then do as frnkws says above.

Last edited:

Killjoy

Oct 5, 2011
Unless I am wrong, you wont be able to root after you upgrade. Just something to think about in case you're interested in that kind of stuff.

chomlee

Aug 28, 2011
I dont know how to help you but i just thought i would say thank you for everything you have done for our country. My son is in the marines too.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Another option is if you have access to an android phone. Turn the phone into a hot spot and the A500 will connect in seconds through the phone account.

GeeknTonic

Dec 18, 2010
Or if you conect your lap top via ethernet you may use your laptop as a hotspot using free conectify

Regards from Mexico

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

nhwestra

Nov 3, 2011
Secondly, SEMPER FI.

As a retired vet of 2 different services I believe it was important for someone here to say you are appreciated and and in our thoughts.

Best of luck getting your tablet updated.
(...Just a thought....Do you know anyone that has a USB stick that you could borrow? That may solve your WiFi issue...)
Best of luck with the update.
God Bless you.
Come home safe to your family.
-NHwestra

denny120

May 26, 2011
I am in the army station at Afghanistan, I read this page and use the info provided and I want to say thank you so much!!! Been trying to get this upgrade for months! Now I can use the USB to watch movies off my hard drives. Like some of the new perks wish though I could change the interface. Again thanks for the info

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I am a Marine currently deployed to Afghanistan and i would like to upgrade my Acer A500 to the newest OS. Problem is, I dont have WiFi, so i am trying to find a place to download the update to my PC then put it on the Acer. Below is my current Specs on the A500, keep in mind i ahve been here for a while so you will see how outdated i am. Thank you in advance for your help.

Andriod Version: 3.0.1
Kernel 2.6.36.3
Build: Acer_A500_1.141.07_com_GEN1

Just a thought:
If you have a cellphone that can use 3/4g there and can tether it to your tablet, you could get the updates OTA. It may take longer than wifi, but it'll work. If its an Android 2.3.x phone, then tethering is easy (let me know if you need help if this applies to you). Other phones may need an app of some kind.
(Tethering will allow your tablet to use your phone's wireless data signal via Bluetooth)

There are also programs that can tether your tablet to your computer via Bluetooth (meaning you need Bluetooth on your computer and the computer has to be connected to the internet somehow). Just Google around if interested.

BTW, good luck over there, take care of yourself, and please come home safe.
Thanks for your service no matter what your job is and may your deity watch over you if you believe in such a thing.