DVD Ripping/Copying to tablet SD cards?

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
I have a Meiying M11 (chinese brand tablet). I want to learn how to rip/copy my DVDs to store in microSD cards for this tablet.

I heard a lot about Handbrake for "copying" DVDs to my tablet BUT the first DVD I tried to "copy" I received a notice:
"No File(s) Found - your DVD could be copy protected...."
Is there a way around this?

I also tried a Free DVD Ripper by Plato, which only copies the first 15 minutes because it's a trial version (which it doesn't tell you until after you download it). But it asks you to choose your device (and does not list tablets). Is a tablet considered a "pocket pc?"
It doesn't seem nearly as easy to use as Handbrake so I doubt I'll be purchasing a full version.

What DVD rippers/copiers do you use to get your DVDs into your tablets? ((Details on how to do it would be sweet awesomeness)) Thank you!

Handbrake is appealing to the eye and looks VERY easy to use, but it won't rip my discs. I assume most, if not all, my DVDs are copyright protected. So, how do I get around this?

Thanks so much guys!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I love DVD Catalyst for $10. It has settings for most all portable devices that I have tried. Mitch from DVD Catalyst is a supporting vendor and you can check his section of the forum for support.

Handbrake is free, but you need a DVD Decoder as well and you have to experiment a lot to get the settings right. Mitch has taken most of the guesswork out.

One ripped, copy to a microSD on your PC. Pop into your tablet and run the Rescan Media app free from the market (or reboot your tablet) and then open the Gallery and it should find them.

DVD catalyst trial rips about 20-30 minutes of a movie to test out the quality. I kid you not, the headache of handbrake is with the $10 to most people.

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
I believe I will take your advice.
Handbrake promotes another Decoder, which costs around $150 euros (which is almost twice the price in USDollars)!

I was worried about using the Catalyst because it asks you to choose your tablet from a list and I'm certain my Chinese tablet will not be in their list. I was advised that I could probably use the Motorola Xoom presets but I was afraid of any potential problems.
Honestly, you are right, the other costs and headaches will probably be worth the $10 at least even just to try it. Especially compared to other prices.

Anywhoot. Thank you so much for your advice.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Yeah, you should just be able to select a tablet like the Xoom and then tap modify and change the output resolution to 800x600 and it should work well. I rip my DVD's to 720x480 since that is the max resolution a DVD has unless you go Blu-Ray.

returnofsid

Jan 7, 2012
I paid for DVD Catalyst 4, and attempted to use it. I've attempted to convert 5 different movies, so far, with failure on every one of them. I've attempted to use settings Android>Transformer and Android>Xoom. It gets through the Crop Detection: scanning position 5 of 5, and then the DVD movie auto ejects. Sometimes a message pops up, sometimes no message pops up. The message pops up quickly and then vanishes, so I'm not completely sure what it says, but I believe it's "Mencoder has stopped working...."

Any suggestions?

So, I also decided to try Freemake Video Converter, which worked well, I THOUGHT! The converted video plays just fine, on my laptop. However, when I transfer it to my Asus Transformer, or my cell phone (Samsung GalaxyS) while the video plays great, there's NO AUDIO.

returnofsid

Jan 7, 2012
Well, I started by trying it with the video player that the Asus Transformer comes with. On my phone, same thing, the stock video player. Then, I downloaded MX Video Player, on the tablet and on my phone. When I played the movie, with MX Video Player, same thing, no audio. But then I noticed an option to Select Audio Track. The options were Audio Track #1, which was already selected, and Audio Track #1 (S/W). When I selected this second option, sound worked! Then, about 20 minutes into the movie "Planet of the Apes," the Tablet video started stuttering and freezing up.

D

dvdcatalyst

I paid for DVD Catalyst 4, and attempted to use it. I've attempted to convert 5 different movies, so far, with failure on every one of them. I've attempted to use settings Android>Transformer and Android>Xoom. It gets through the Crop Detection: scanning position 5 of 5, and then the DVD movie auto ejects. Sometimes a message pops up, sometimes no message pops up. The message pops up quickly and then vanishes, so I'm not completely sure what it says, but I believe it's "Mencoder has stopped working...."

Any suggestions?

If you have questions regarding DVD Catalyst, its easier for me to find it and try and assist you if you either post in my section here: DVD Catalyst
or simply shoot me an email or a PM. I do try and find threads where people post questions, but its easy to miss them.

Aside from selecting a device profile, did you change any other settings? Maybe the output folder or something like that?
The movies you tried, are any of them listed here: DVD Catalyst 4 Problem DVD List | Tools4Movies

I believe I will take your advice.
Handbrake promotes another Decoder, which costs around $150 euros (which is almost twice the price in USDollars)!

I was worried about using the Catalyst because it asks you to choose your tablet from a list and I'm certain my Chinese tablet will not be in their list. I was advised that I could probably use the Motorola Xoom presets but I was afraid of any potential problems.
Honestly, you are right, the other costs and headaches will probably be worth the $10 at least even just to try it. Especially compared to other prices.

Anywhoot. Thank you so much for your advice.

Frederuco's post with the change to 800x600 on the Xoom profile should work fine for your needs, however, the rockchip is somewhat finnickey every now and then, so you might want to lower the video quality to say 1000 or so if you run into playback issues.

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
My tablet is an 8" screen with a 1024x768 res. Now, someone I know has a 1024x600 res Kindle Fire which seems to have much better resolution and I'm wondering if it's the screen size.

However, if my screen is 1024x768 should I still lower the resolution of the conversion?

Thanks guys!!

D

dvdcatalyst

My tablet is an 8" screen with a 1024x768 res. Now, someone I know has a 1024x600 res Kindle Fire which seems to have much better resolution and I'm wondering if it's the screen size.

However, if my screen is 1024x768 should I still lower the resolution of the conversion?

Thanks guys!!

The specs are a big confusing for your tablet.

8GB version has the 800*600 configuration
16GB version has the 1024*728 configuration

I'd still try the 800x600 and see how it plays. Supposedly it does play up to 1080p (1920x1080) video, but I've seen that before with Rockchip-based tablets, and some companies think that if it runs as a slide-show, it still plays.

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
Hi Catalyst. I have the 16G, 1024x768 version of the tablet (the original version was the 8G, with only 512 RAM), my tablet has 1G RAM.

My tablet has 3 or 4 video playback screen options. But I notice that when I use the Motorolla Xoom settings in the Catalyst that it changes itself to a lower resolution. I tried the trial version before purchasing to make sure it would work on my tablet. It does and the picture is crystal clear gorgeousness!
I set the resolution to 1024x768 just to see how it would look, but the Catalyst copied it as 832x352.
Luckily, the trial version didn't crop my picture. I hope the full Catalyst doesn't either. I don't mind the widescreen black edges.

YAY for Catalyst!! SO EASY!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywhoot! I still don't know how to access my microSD card in my tablet! :confused: I'm going to copy the movie to PC, then directly to microSD, then put microSD into tablet and see if I can access the movies on the card through the videos icon that way.
My tablet doesn't detect and automatically open the USB or microSD chips with a pop-up screen the way a PC does.
I guess it'll just take some getting used to. :cool:

D

dvdcatalyst

Hi Catalyst. I have the 16G, 1024x768 version of the tablet (the original version was the 8G, with only 512 RAM), my tablet has 1G RAM.

My tablet has 3 or 4 video playback screen options. But I notice that when I use the Motorolla Xoom settings in the Catalyst that it changes itself to a lower resolution. I tried the trial version before purchasing to make sure it would work on my tablet. It does and the picture is crystal clear gorgeousness!
I set the resolution to 1024x768 just to see how it would look, but the Catalyst copied it as 832x352.
Luckily, the trial version didn't crop my picture. I hope the full Catalyst doesn't either. I don't mind the widescreen black edges.

YAY for Catalyst!! SO EASY!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywhoot! I still don't know how to access my microSD card in my tablet! :confused: I'm going to copy the movie to PC, then directly to microSD, then put microSD into tablet and see if I can access the movies on the card through the videos icon that way.
My tablet doesn't detect and automatically open the USB or microSD chips with a pop-up screen the way a PC does.
I guess it'll just take some getting used to. :cool:

The trial and retail of dvdcatalyst are the same.
By default, DVD Catalyst just removes black borders from the video if they are actually there (older wide-screen movies) but other than that, it leaves the full video portion in tact.
It can make your movies completely full-screen, but I like to have the widescreen aspect ratio myself.

As for the resolution, the 800x400 something is the original DVD resolution.

This article explains a bit more about the resolution:

DVD Catalyst 4.1 User Guide

as for accessing your memorycard, try installing a file-browser like es file explorer (which is similar to windows explorer on your pc) and then browse to the /mnt location. It should be listed there.

androidcnuser

Jan 9, 2012
hi, most open-source or freeware like handbrake can only rip non-copy right protected movie dvd, and if your movie dvd has some copyright protection, you may try some paid ones
just google you will find some cool tools.

ChromeCat

Dec 22, 2011
Thanks Catalyst!! I'm glad the catalyst doesn't upscale by default - I hate pixilation!! I'd rather see a smaller, better quality picture.
I'm sorry I wasn't chosen as a winner for the catalyst :p, but I'm so happy I bought it tonight. It's SO easy to use! And you are so very great at helping and explaining. Thank you so much!

Androidcn, thanks, but I've already purchased the DVD Catalyst and I'm very happy with it. It does all the work for me! And the support is sweet awesomeness in chocolate coating! *...oooh, chocolate...*