Excel on android tablets?

jmc95965

Aug 21, 2012
I am looking to buy an android tablet and want to know if any of the android tablets run Excel?

Aug 8, 2012
I don't think Excel is available for any Android, but at least some of the office apps can run excel spreadsheets with no problem. I picked up Office Suite Pro as a free app of the day and it has worked fine with compatibility with Microsoft Office 2010 documents and spreadsheets from my computer. I am not a heavy office suite user, so I don't push the limits very much. Good luck.

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Install Documents to Go on your tablet and it will do MS Office very well. I have been using this app for years and it's the best. So Documents to Go is no newcomer. They have been out for many years. I use a lot of Excel and I love this app.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The good news is that Micro$oft has plans to release an Android version of Office, possibly in September. If you are Internet connected and must have Office, the real thing, there are 2 options now. Check out OnLive Desktop for one.

DirtyZombie

Aug 24, 2012
Of course Excel can be operated in a Tab, it can be done in Android phones too. It’s called a Smartphone not for a small reason.

Aadamgibson

May 16, 2012
“Excel-MySQL” converter is a powerful tool to convert any Excel file into a MySQL database supports many advanced features such as: command line, task scheduling, sheets and columns selection, ability to append only new records to the target MySQL database, and much more.

jimesh

Aug 11, 2012
I use both Polaris Office and Quick Office on an Asus T101 table and selected those as the most capable of all xls(x) capable apps I could find and test from the Google store. I'm a heavy user of Excel that pushes the limits. Neither of these apps come anywhere close to M$Excel in capability and features. Polaris is the better of the two by far, but you need two since no Android app can have two different files open simultaneously! :-( when you need to work between two different workbooks. (Tablets are still *very* limited relative to PC's unfortunately.) One very annoying problem is that scrolling gestures often get mistakenly interpreted as screen magnification and demag on both -- Polaris is a little better this way. I assume that this will get better with later revs over time. Both are much better readers of spreadsheets than writers. If you update a spreadsheet on the tablet and then try to read it on a PC you'll find *many* mis-formattings and outright errors in the file when viewed on the PC. This is true for both of these apps, and especially so when the Excel file originated on the PC, was modified on the tablet, and then read again on the PC. It's just going to take time. Don't hold your breath for the MS Office on the tablet. The competition has such limited capability that MS won't need to port the full set of PC Excel capability to Android right away -- just the most used subset. Doing the full set (not counting macros and VB) will take years, if ever, and MS's motivation will be to keep users tied to Windows, not Android. :-(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Just to add on to jimesh, don't forget MS is now pushing into the tablet space. Windows RT will likely be similar to Android in terms of Excel functionality (maybe a little better) but if you really need Excel and all its features as a power user, then a tablet running Windows 8 is really going to be the only way to go. Android tablets are great for many things but they are nowhere near being full PCs at this point and the only way to get that experience is going to be with a Windows 8 tablet.