External keyboard problems

bluemonkey

Feb 21, 2012
Hi everyone. Sorry for posting nothing but problems and questions! Got a Prime paired up with an Amazon Basics keyboard, but...

1. rrrrrepeating keys. Only seems to occur on a few apps, like Chrome. Driving me nuts.
2. macrons. Can I make them? Specifically: ā, ī, ū, ē, ō. I have no idea how.

Thanks so much. It's been a little bit difficult to adjust, and there are so many things I like, but these two are (sadly) deal-breakers for me. The first one is infuriating. The second one has to do with work.

bluemonkey

Feb 21, 2012
Hi. Thank you. They are just vowels with lines above them. Perhaps they didn't render correctly with your encoding. Sorry about that. One of the problems is that the macron is not part of any language keyboard, as far as I can tell.

On Android (most keyboards I know of) and the iPad virtual keyboard, holding down on a vowel will generate a list of options. If I were typing with the virtual keyboard, this would be the way to go, of course. On the iPad, they only become available when using US Extended keyboard. And, on OSX you can generate them with Alt + a. In Windows, as far as I know, you can only generate them in Word as special characters (it helps to set up shortcut keys).

J

jimbo7630

The reason I didn't recognise them is because I see a vowel with a line above it! BTW in windows if you change the language setting you can type any foreign character in your chosen language if you know its position on your english K/B e.g. whin I'm using German the following keystrokes will give me what I need [ = ü, ; = ö and ' = ä also - gives ß when my language is set to German.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluemonkey

Feb 21, 2012
LOL. I see. The characters are needed for my work, but they are not widely used. I think I just got lucky with Apple's support for the external keyboard. Of course, different language keyboards produce things like umlauts, but the problem I have is that the straight horizontal lines don't exist in any language set I know of, so I am out of luck in Windows.

bluemonkey

Feb 21, 2012
Thanks for the link. I actually did not know they were called "Latin" long marks. After much experimentation with MultiLing and "Latine", I still cannot get the external keyboard to accomplish this. So close, yet so far. The virtual keyboard has all of my vowels displayed right there, ready to go, but somehow the external keyboard always types the same stuff.

bluemonkey

Feb 21, 2012
LOL. That is brilliant. Thanks for the suggestion :)

My problem is that I spend most of my day reading and writing, and looking forward, instead of down, at the screen is much more comfortable over long periods. I am pretty fast with the external keyboard (touch typing), so it is my preferred method of input.

J

jimbo7630

I can't see any way out of this unless you can create some customised vowels and a way of accessing them on your K/B:cool: