"Flytouch 2 with 512 MB of RAM" What can I do?!

camycam178

Jan 22, 2011
So I ordered mine a couple days ago, and it will be here in 3-6 days. I am really bummed out that I'm not getting a legitimate FT 3, and that I was bedazzled. Is there any hope of customization, rooting, or even honeycomb? It runs FroYo 2.2, so Idk if it will be compatible with ANYTHING! I'm seriously freaking out, if someone could give me some input it would be greatly appreciated, I have to admit I know almost nothing about tablets.

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Honeycomb, just put in the back of your head for a rainy day cuz its gna b a long time
Rooting will be iffy so ul have to provide us some info when it comes in
As for custom roms and recovery. We r not even there yet with the original ftii so calm down and just enjoy the tablet.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
Don't worry Camy, I am sure that between us and all the wonderful people on forums like this we can figure out pretty much anything we will need to do. I really can't wait to get this sucker and see what she has inside! This is going to be a great adventure, of that I am sure.

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
I received a USPS tracking number for my tablet yesterday, I just checked it and: assuming CG is in Shenzhen, China, my tablet has gone approximately 27 miles/ 44 km to Hong Kong. If that is the shipping speed I may be waiting a very long time, LOL.

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
So I received my tablet but am willing to bet good money it is not a flytouch. Once I get back to the house I will post a screen shot of the particulars and see if someone here might know. I keep forgetting others might benefit if they get sent a tablet that is not as advertised. Sorry bout that.

Sent from my Huawei Ascend M860 using Android Tablet Forum App

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
So here are the pics of my tablet: two are of the system info and two are of the outside. I had to use my dropbox account because for some reason I couldn't upload them as attachments to this post. Hopefully these links will work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23650787/2011-3-17-20-41-8.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23650787/2011-3-17-20-41-28.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23650787/2011-03-17 21.50.49.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23650787/2011-03-17 21.49.53.jpg

If someone else can tell specifically what this is then please let me know. I have been using the crap out of Google and it has failed me because I am evidently not asking the right questions.

Attachments

• $pic 3.jpg
    $pic 3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 581
  • $pic 4.jpg
    $pic 4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 683

MrSmith317

Mar 16, 2011
DWC, you got the FT3(which is really an FT2 Generation 2). I have the same thing and it should be running the latest firmware since you're on 2.2(FRF85B). I've noticed a few things that I'm going to post in another tips/tricks thread as well.
1) Some apps will not install. Unmount and remove your microSD card and most will install now including Angry Birds.
2) The battery drains like a mofo when idle. Turn this thing off(and hit the reset pinhole) or have a charger handy constantly.
3) The speakers are garbage. NOTHING can be done about this. I've tried the audio boost and nothing helps. Go to your nearest tech store, but a pair of battery powered(small) speakers and live with it...or use headphones.
4) Flash in the browser sucks, it works...but it sucks. Grab the Dolphin HD browser from the market to work around this.

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
DWC, you got the FT3(which is really an FT2 Generation 2). I have the same thing and it should be running the latest firmware since you're on 2.2(FRF85B). I've noticed a few things that I'm going to post in another tips/tricks thread as well.
1) Some apps will not install. Unmount and remove your microSD card and most will install now including Angry Birds.
2) The battery drains like a mofo when idle. Turn this thing off(and hit the reset pinhole) or have a charger handy constantly.
3) The speakers are garbage. NOTHING can be done about this. I've tried the audio boost and nothing helps. Go to your nearest tech store, but a pair of battery powered(small) speakers and live with it...or use headphones.
4) Flash in the browser sucks, it works...but it sucks. Grab the Dolphin HD browser from the market to work around this.

I was under the impression the flytouch family of tablets have two tf slots. This one only has the one. And the only apps I have any problems with are the screen shot and its rotation, and Androot doesn't want to root the tablet. It just says failed.
On a different note, can you see the pics in place of the links I used in my post? If so that kind of rocks.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

Update: I finally got the Universal Androot to install. I read a few other post that reported the same thing about having to take out the microSD card to get some apps to install. So that is what I did, then just installed the app (I already had it downloaded.) About to go van shopping, but when I get back I am going to have to figure out why my terminal emulator won't launch now.

Last edited:

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
Now this thing is making me a little crazy. I finally got the root to take, flashed the thing as per the instructions, now I can't tell if it is rooted and the WiFi won't connect anymore. I tried an ethernet cable and it recognizes the network but won't connect. I have quadruple checked my WiFi set up, and all of my other devices will still connect. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did they fix it.

Update: I have figured out that it is rooted, and have installed busybox (is there supposed to be an icon for that?) Still having the WiFi problem, though. It will connect to my neighbors WPA network and an unsecured network from some random neighbor, but still won't connect to mine. Are there some kind of settings for the security key I am not finding? I didnt' need them before I rooted this thing. Any help would be great, thanks.

Update to the update: And now I have my wireless back, go me :) I had to get on my wifes laptop running windows 7 (still not really used to ubuntu) and restore the router to factory settings. I set up the wireless again and am now back in business.

Last edited:

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
I have resolved the internet issue by restoring the router to factory defaults and starting all over.

Sent from my Huawei Ascend M860 using Android Tablet Forum App

WallAR

Mar 21, 2011
@dwc, Busybox does not aper in menu ;-) It's a bundle of tools for terminal :]
Code:
It provides replacements for most of the utilities you usually find in GNU fileutils, shellutils, etc. The utilities in BusyBox generally have fewer options than their full-featured GNU cousins; however, the options that are included provide the expected functionality and behave very much like their GNU counterparts. BusyBox provides a fairly complete environment for any small or embedded system.

BusyBox has been written with size-optimization and limited resources in mind. It is also extremely modular so you can easily include or exclude commands (or features) at compile time. This makes it easy to customize your embedded systems. To create a working system, just add some device nodes in /dev, a few configuration files in /etc, and a Linux kernel.

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
Than you, WallAR, for explaining all that. I will have all this figured out soon, then I will be rockin right along. I have big plans :) Here's hoping this plan survives contact.

Sent from my rooted Flytouch 2 Generation 2 using Android Tablet Forum App