For those that use their NC for its designed purpose (book reading)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Found a great website that wants to be the internet's library, and devote a webpage to every published work.

Welcome to Open Library (Open Library)

One web page for every book ever published. It's a lofty but achievable goal.

To build Open Library, we need hundreds of millions of book records, a wiki interface, and lots of people who are willing to contribute their time and effort to building the site.

To date, we have gathered over 20 million records from a variety of large catalogs as well as single contributions, with more on the way.

Open Library is an open project: the software is open, the data are open, the documentation is open, and we welcome your contribution. Whether you fix a typo, add a book, or write a widget--it's all welcome. We have a small team of fantastic programmers who have accomplished a lot, but we can't do it alone!

Open Library is a project of the non-profit Internet Archive, and has been funded in part by a grant from the California State Library and the Kahle/Austin Foundation.

Depending on the book, they may be providing a link to a digital version that you could borrow...but its still an incredible resource...I know I have a few .txt versions of older books that I might contribute...

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Nice find Vic. :) I'll have to really explore this site at home when I get some time.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Careful, you can get lost in there...I had to close down my browser just so I would stop searching for old books! :eek:

I love the idea of it too...mainly because I believe that we (as a people) don't read nearly enough anymore...and apparently we don't wear enough hats

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
'Bout time Darmeen, I was beginning to wonder if you were EVER going to contribute... ;) This is awesome man, I have now lost many more hours of my life to my nook...

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
'Bout time Darmeen, I was beginning to wonder if you were EVER going to contribute... ;)

I know, right?

Actually heard about this while watching CNET's Loaded from today (during my lunch break)

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
I have been so pleased with the kind of books offered both by this site and my states Public Library... I have got most books from my public library system with in 5 days of requesting and they are current items... saved me a ton of money .. I look forward to scouting out what is available and have recented tried a few audio books . Haven't put those my nook but rather on my Droid phone to use while driving.. again a HUGE money saver . If I hadn't bought the NC I would never had explored the local library system..so in that sense the nook has SAVED me Money.... $$$$

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
Wow this is awesome, finally a wikipedia of ebooks. I can't wait until this site and others like it are mainstream, cheap education and enlightenment for everyone, anywhere. It's a shame it will put some bookstores out of business, (unless they adapt somehow,) but the library was one of Benjamin's greatest inventions for a reason.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
This isn't just for ebooks Jmag...its for every book published, and they don't sell books on this site, but do provide links where someone could purchase or borrow the book.

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
Yeah I got a litle bit ahead of myself there. I meant to say when all the physical books we have are uploaded (into ebooks) on a library-like database is when this technology will reach its full potential. Just yesterday I bought a nook color that will save two hundred times it's size in books and magazines in my apartment alone. In fact, I'm surprised I haven't heard of any book rental sites yet (think netflix or rhapsody for books & magazines).

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Well I know some local libraries lend e-books...how do they do it?

JMag

Feb 23, 2011
Yeah here in Florida the Ocala Library System (I happen to go to college in that area) you request them through the online site and I believe that they run through a browser-based java reader in pdf format, hence allowing the library to control the "checkout" system and preventing them from being downloaded. Haven't gotten to use it on a tablet yet, only a heavily restricted school desktop, but I'll let you know when I learn more about it.

crenita

Jan 6, 2011
Oh this was my nicest find... I went to my county library site.. and they have lists of downloadable items.. including music, audio books and ebooks.. they use a system called Overdrive.. .. go to this site and plug in your local library... and then use your regular library number and you are off to the races..
Here in Florida the Alachua County library( near Gainesville ) has a ebook library card that you can get on line without going into the location and if you have a florida address you are all set ... so I have to library systems to call upon my local and then Alachua... it has been great money saver.. I still purchase some books but not loads
.... here is the site OverDrive – Global distributor of digital eBooks, audiobooks, music & video for library, school & retail