Discussion in 'Le Pan Development' started by yann2, Feb 7, 2012.
i'll install 6.1 tonight.thanks.
Rich, you are welcome.
Regarding Beta 6.1, be aware some people have reported a ''not charging while power is off'' problem. It was reported by a few people, I posted to the XDA DEvs thread butgot no reply about it from anyone.
Here's a post I just made this morning, at another forum, and describes the issue, as well as the question of the ClockWorkMod general quirkiness (having to scroll the buttons around until Back menu is enabled) :
That is a bug, which could be fixed if anyone with the proper programming skills cared to get the source code, modify it for the specific tablet we are using it on, and compiled it.
The person who did the version we are using now is not at fault, the opposite is true - we owe him (Chinabull is the person who ported it to the TC970). The bug is in the CWM mainstream source code, and has been patched in newer versions.. The CWM for LPII version made by jcase is already fixed, once I explained the problem to him he patched it quickly.
But - no one is interested in putting their valuable time, into a device that is obscure and now, end of life. So, we got what we got, and are thankful for it.
This is documented in my CM7 Installation guide, I assume you did not read it, or you would know.
Other than that :
- I believe there might be a problem with the charging in Beta 6.1, a few people have described the 'no charging while turned off issue.'
- I asked and got no replies, so no fix is forthcoming;
- I reverted to Beta 6 last night, and specifically tested that. The charger icons were showing when I plugged power in, tablet completely off; and this morning, it has a full charge.
So, if this issue bothers you, best fix atm is to revert to Beta 6.
** Fresh Update!
Regarding the problem many people are reporting - the not charging if the tablet is Off issue, Here's some Good News.
Just today, cas_xp posted @ XDA Developers, I replied to his short message, which you can see quoted below :
Wonderful, cas_xp - I will spread those, good news.
And we have a possible fix [Testers Needed - Volunteer here, please] for the 'not charging while tablet is Off'
Cas_xp posted a message and a small file attached today at XDA Developers. Below is his quoted message and my reply to him :
I will post in the release threads and ask for feedback, cas. I have a full battery atm, plus Beta 6.0 installed, all tweaked and overclocked.
But there were a number of people asking for a fix if possible, Will report back.
Thanks for working on this fix.
The file is a simple Patch, it has to be installed from ClockWorkMod - NO cache deletes are required - so no data is lost, it's a quick process.
- Boot into CWM --> push vol up until you see the 'Back menu enabled' message.
- Select install zip from SD card --> select the file from the location you saved it on the SD card. Install it. Reboot.
How to test if this fixes the problem?
You would need to have a low batttery situtation, or at least a half dischaged battery. Mine is full atm, plus I am not running Beta 6.1 currently, so I can't try it out.
Install the patch, reboot and use the tablet normally. Power down and connect the charger. Tomorrow morning see what power level you have.
Please report if this charged the battery properly while the tablet is off or not. I will pass the information along to cas_xp at XDA Devs.
Where do I get this Patch file from ?
Right from here. I am placing a copy of it on my Mirrored Files list --> Get CM7 Beta 6.2 (Charger Fix Patch) HERE...
How come you are not testing this file yourself, yann2?
Various reasons, including :
- I have a full battery, would take some time to get it low for testing.
- I have spent a lot of time working in a Terminal window, doing some tweaking. Have installed Beta 6.0 as well, since I wanted to test and report on the charging issue on that version.
- and finally, my tablet is overclocked to 1.2 GHz, I am working on a project that will lead to an Overclocking Guide for the TC970; so, not crasy about wiping out all the work I have done lately.
So, I am not ready for testing this, but there were various people reporting the problem, hope you will help check the fix. Thank you!
I just downloaded and installed beta 6.2, will test and report back,
Ah, thanks, value99, we had various reports, and everyone agreed the charger fix did not work.
So, no go yet - charge with the tablet turned ON, the screen can be turned off. Then it will charge properly. The only alternative at the moemnt is to revert back to Beta 5.0, plus install the small Beta 5.1 and Beta 6.0 patches. That would make your tablet a version 6.0, and that is working perfectly for charging.
Tested it myself, on both Beta 6.0 (working perfect) and Beta 6.1 (charging issue, not fixed yet).
Hot off the Presses!
Just this afternoon, cas_xp posted a short message at XDA Developers, and he has a new update to FIX the Charging issue while the tablet is Off.
His message below :
The Update is pretty small, 288 KB, and contains a new Ramdisk image with the charger_man module included.
To install it :
- Boot tablet into Recovery Mode, ClockWorkMod screen.
- NO NEED to delete anything, NO wiping any caches.
- Simply select 'Install Update from Zip', select the package, install and reboot.
Enjoy, this was tested by cas and is reported working. Cheers.
Get TC970 CM7 Beta 6.3 Update.Zip HERE.
OR - Download from yann2's File Mirror HERE (filename changed slightly, to LePan-TC970-CM7-up_ram6.3_charger_sign.zip)
Hey thanks for this I have a le pan 970 running a buggy miui port so this is a delightful never knew there was a project for this its great to know ill have to blow the dust off mine and try this out.
How's the GPU working on this compile
Sent from my LightELF-9300 2.6-dev
Good to know you have a LP1 too, maybe you can help out cas_xp sometime. He's been very busy and no time for this project lately.
The gpu works well, I find the screen smooth, and CM7 is so much prettier than the factory Froyo firmware.
Beta 6.0 is very stable, the 6.1 introduced some new approach and this charger bug that just got fixed.
installed 6.3, the animating battery icon is back while power off charging. All looks good now.
CM7 for the TC970 - we now have Built-in ClockworkMod (flashed to Device)
Executive Summary :
CyanogenMod 7 for the TC970 tablets now includes a Flashable version of the ClockWorkMod recovery tool. This is being written (flashed) to the tablet's NAND by default (you have it if you installed Beta 6.1).
The flashed version is v.18.104.22.168, a different revision number (.8) than our regular CWM version.
This built-in Recovery can be loaded 3 ways :
via Volume Up and Power button combo.
via ADB, adb reboot recovery.
via Reboot --> Recovery option in the Power button menu from isndie CM7 itself.
It's a nice and convenient feature; you are free to swap SD cards out, without the worry of keeping CWM in the in-use card, etc.
See the full length post here for details and discussions of this new feature.
I have a question. I tried to do a root, but on reboot, it won't even go to the boot animation. So, it's not a boot loop. I think that it might be bricked. Mine is also under warranty, but it doesn't have a custom ROM installed. It only has the root, but it can't even boot to check it. Would I be able to return it and get a different one? I got this as a christmas gift from my grandpa, and I feel really bad about it. If I can't, is there any way I can fix it?
Please, any help is appreciated.
Not really on the topic of this thread, but I understand you need help.
You need to try and recover from this. A couple of ways :
a. Reinstalling the original firmware :
- you would need the Le Pan provided firmware written down in the Root directory of your SD card. A good idea is to use the 2 GB card provied with the tablet, I have personally had trouble with a 16 GB card that would NOT ever load any firmware tool or ClockWorkMod recovery.
So, use the 2 GB, it's Sandisk card, good quality and speed.
- since the tablet is not working, you need to use some card reader to write the files to the SD card; on a PC or laptop, or it they don't have that, then a SD card reader. I use one purchased from the local Dollar Store, works well, just bought another one today for my wife ($2).
b. once the firmware files are in the SD card, reinstall the card on the tablet. Then :
- you press the Volume Down button, hold it, then press and hold the Power button.
- keep the buttons down, wait to see a new screen that comes up, offering to install Factory firmware.
- agree to that, and it should read the files, check them for errors, and if all is well, flash them to the tablet's internal memory.
This will wipe out the complete operating system, possibly all your files in the internal storage. But if it gets you off the Boot loop, it's worth it, no?
Would be best if you recover this way, getting the tablet repaired or replaced is goign to take you time, energy and money for shipping it back to California.
I have tried all this over and over again I dont get the same options when i push volume/power buttons Need help please
I apologize for waking a dead thread but I am having the same issues that the above user posted. I only get the reboot now and factory reset options. Any help on what I may be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.
Separate names with a comma.