Google Announces Android O: Picture-In-Picture, Autofill And More

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Emily Ferron March 21st, 2017

android-o-developer-preview-1.jpg

So far, Android O seems to streamline the user experience and take better advantage of high-end mobile hardware

Google has released the developer preview version of its latest mobile operating system. "Android O" is still in its early stages, but it is distinct from its predecessor in several ways that could change the way you interact with your Android.

One of the most noticeable user-facing changes is the introduction of a picture in picture (PIP) option – similar to an Apple iPad feature added in iOS 9 – which should make multitasking easier in some circumstances. Apps that support PIP will let you continue watching a video even when being interrupted by another app, such as when receiving a call.

Android O also introduces notification channels, which enable fine-tuned in-app control of notification settings. There's also new notification visuals and grouping options, which are meant to help streamline the process of reviewing notifications.

The platform also adds support for autofill, which should minimize the need to enter and re-enter credentials like usernames, passwords and addresses. Developers will have to decide to implement autofill services within their apps, but if they opt in, this incremental change could shave off a lot of cumulative inconvenience.

Other changes come as a response to recent developments in mobile hardware. Android O supports wide color gamut for apps, so high quality wide-gamut displays can be put to good use. It also supports high-quality Bluetooth audio codecs like LDAC for optimal audio fidelity. Android O also takes steps to make keyboard navigation (such as when you're using a keyboard accessory with your tablet) more reliable.

This early preview of Android O is available for free, but it's aimed squarely at developers (the software must be manually downloaded and flashed to your device). According to Google, there are more features coming.

Non-developers that want an early look can enroll in the Android Beta program. Android O will become available through the beta program closer to its completion.

The current version of the Android operating system is Android Nougat. Google releases an updated Android OS annually – each one is lettered alphabetically and christened with a candy name closer to its release.

Source: Android

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
I'm excited to see what the next version of Android has in store. With each update the Android OS improves but of course there's always room for improvement. I guess we'll find out more when Google holds their I/O developer’s conference on May 17. I also really want to know if "Oreo" will be the nickname for Android O or not, the anticipation is killing me lol.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Probably not, unless Google pays Nabisco for the privilege. Orange Cream Parfait is more plausible.