Google Secures Patent on Ringback Ads

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Google-ringback-patent.jpeg

If it isn't one thing, it's another. Google recently patented a strange, but potentially polarizing idea on a new way to deliver automated phone ads. It's called "ringback adverts" and the concept is born because Google, just like consumers, doesn't really like phone ads as they are now. Basically, instead of getting automated phonecalls from solicitors that you didn't want calling you in the first place, you would hear ads when calling out. This would be instead of the usual "ringback" sound you hear while waiting for the other party to answer.

At first ponder, this doesn't sound like too bad of an idea... instead of hearing an annoying ringback tone, you hear ads looping, which may or may not be more interesting than the ringback sound. However, I can see some folks being frustrated with this for two reasons. One, it could make you feel as if you are being held captive by the ads, just like all the annoying commercials at the beginning of movies in the movie theater, or when you buy a Blu Ray or DVD that has an ad that you can't skip at the beginning. Two, more than likely, unless some law comes out stopping active call-out telemarketing altogether, this type of advertising would likely not replace the old version, but simply be "in addition to it".

How's that for the evolution of ads? Thanks Google. :rolleyes:

Share your perspective.

Source: UnWiredView

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep, it would be in addition to phone spam. Great idea for making money and knowing Google maybe they are planning on subsidizing data or phone service this way. Free plans for listening to ads. Not a bad idea.

Unfortunately if that isn't the way it goes that means I am paying for phone and data service only to be fed ads which do nothing for me and only make others money. I am not shopping, I am trying to reach another party with whom I want to converse. In that case yes you are being held captive and literally paying to be advertised to with expense but no benefit.

If they do this should be like apps, for them to be free you get ads but if you pay then no ads.

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
I think the real scheme here is to boost sales of the callertunes services. People will hopefully pay for a song to be played instead of having advertisments being played for their friends. On the flip side, it'll be great making telemarketeers listen to ads before boring me with their worthless drek.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think the real scheme here is to boost sales of the callertunes services. People will hopefully pay for a song to be played instead of having advertisments being played for their friends. On the flip side, it'll be great making telemarketeers listen to ads before boring me with their worthless drek.

Isn't the "callertunes" service already available? I don't think it caught on very well either. It could be they are trying to sell songs but Google's bread and butter is ads. Besides, telemarketers will probably have some sort of business line exemption that allows them not to hear ads and even if they do have to listen to an ad while they are calling to sell you something, they are getting paid for their time to sit on the phone and wait until you answer. Shoot, if I got the revenue from the ads or was otherwise paid, I would probably sit and listen to them.

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
looks like google is keeping busy with all those billions in their bank trying to invent ways on how to make even more. by now Google and Apple are stronger than half the world's governments.

Raizor

Mar 15, 2012
I do not quite see what Google is trying to introduce here. After all, ringback adverising has been done for a while now.
Or are they going to monitor your call to send you ads to your mobile? I don't think this is how it works. Anyway, the ringback advertising is so common already, every time I call to my internet provider I learn about his newest products while waiting on the line.

sirena.alex

Jun 17, 2010
Isn't the "callertunes" service already available? I don't think it caught on very well either. It could be they are trying to sell songs but Google's bread and butter is ads. Besides, telemarketers will probably have some sort of business line exemption that allows them not to hear ads and even if they do have to listen to an ad while they are calling to sell you something, they are getting paid for their time to sit on the phone and wait until you answer. Shoot, if I got the revenue from the ads or was otherwise paid, I would probably sit and listen to them.

Agree.......Ringback ads? No, I don't like it. I have to say that if they are putting ads for your ringback tone, you should be receiving a little out of it. I know I wouldn't give anybody authorization to do it. What about people who pay for a custom ringback tone? I’d like to say give me a concession on my bill; then certainly I will be happy to see ads on my ringback tone. In-fact no one ever said all of Google's thoughts were good. They're a running a business just like any others.

Core

May 17, 2010
All I can say is, if I am 'forced' to listen to ads when I call out, or subjected to followup advertisement calls, it would be a simple, no more google phone for me.