Google's Rumored Nexus Tablet May Start Production in April

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
android-robot-peek.jpg

Late last year speculation was running rampant after Google chairman Eric Schmidt made the comment that Google was planning to, “market a tablet of the highest quality.” Immediately the dream of a Nexus tablet was spawned and Android and tablet fans began frothing at the mouth. Some of the earlier speculation pegged the device as a 7-inch Nexus-branded device that will run Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and compete with the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet at the $199 price point. Today there are some new rumors regarding this mythic device. Here's a quote with some more details,

...DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim stoked the fire, noting that the Google slate will enter production in April and the initial run will yield between 1.5 million and 2 million units. Shim also said that the Nexus Tablet will feature a high-resolution 1,280 x 800-pixel 7-inch display, besting Amazon’s 1,024 x 600-pixel panel. “I don’t know how they plan on marketing it,” Shim said. “If it’s going to be a premium device, or if it’s going to be a Kindle Fire type competitor.” April production could mean the tablet will launch as soon as the second quarter this year.

Hmmm... if this turns out to be true, we could see a Nexus tablet in mid-to-late 2012. The question still remains, would Google really be willing to "bite the hands that feed it" and potentially push some OEMs out of the Android Tablet market by making it too tough to compete with a Nexus branded tablet? Share your reasoning.

Source: BGR

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
At 7 inches I would pass. I have a Kindle Fire, and while it is a capable device I am not overly fond of the small screen.
After having this 8 inch Vizio I think it is as small a screen as I will buy in the future.
I will hope that they produce a 10 inch tablet and try to keep the price reasonable, or do the smart thing and produce one in each size for those who want a 7 and or a 10.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Finally got my I Pad2 back from my sister. If I thought a 8 inch screen over a 7 was something the 9.7 over the 8 is even more noticeable. It doesn't seem that a inch or 1.7 inches would be that much different but it is.
Only problem with the I Pad is it keeps dropping the router connection. This seems to be a known problem with the IP2 and the best fix is one of the Apple brand routers. I smell a conspiracy.
Sooooooo here I am forking out even more money to make the already expensive IPad work properly. The up side is the new router is dual band and is supposed to have about twice the broadcast distance as most others. We will see.
Back to the 7 inch Google tablet. Even if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread I would not buy one. After seeing the KF and how small a 7 inch screen is and how hard it is to read many things on it (web pages that is), it would just be money down the drain for me.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk