Greetings from a potential user

mbabcock

Apr 19, 2012
Hello everyone,

I joined this forum as a way to explore the potential uses of an Android device.

I work as a marketing associate with a small rural hospital, and we're exploring ways to use these devices with patient care and/or in patient rooms and/or in waiting rooms and/or as a marketing tool for off-site things.

There's a lot of potential, and with the price dropping under $100 per unit, this could be something very useful and affordable.

If anyone has a specific interest in any of these things, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
_
Mike Babcock

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Mike, welcome to the forum. Nice of you to become a member of Android Tablets. Since you're in marketing, I'm sure you won't be surprised if our Supporting Vendors are anxious to discuss this with you.:rolleyes: There are also other members who are incorporating tablets into their businesses and hopefully they'll come around to discuss this with you as well. That said, I think this thread would be better placed in the Android Tablet Discussions area where more people are likely to join the discussion. I'm going to move it over there for you. Good luck and enjoy the forum!

mbabcock

Apr 19, 2012
@Spider -- Thanks for the reply. I really was just trying to introduce myself!

I was planning on perusing the forums for a while to see if my concerns had already been addressed. However, this area looks much better. I'll edit my title to try to bring a few more voices in here! Thanks for the help.

Androidinabox

Mar 15, 2012
Hello everyone,

I joined this forum as a way to explore the potential uses of an Android device.

I work as a marketing associate with a small rural hospital, and we're exploring ways to use these devices with patient care and/or in patient rooms and/or in waiting rooms and/or as a marketing tool for off-site things.

There's a lot of potential, and with the price dropping under $100 per unit, this could be something very useful and affordable.

If anyone has a specific interest in any of these things, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
_
Mike Babcock

Hi Mike, you set a budget before you buy, very good start. Would you tell us more information like function requirements of the tablet so that we may recommend for you ?

mbabcock

Apr 19, 2012
I would have to put more thought into it before I really would know, but here are the basics: We'd need them to be locked down from most apps and all settings changes. The only apps we'd want people to be able to access is a web browser (that we would have pointed to a special intranet website focused on the offerings of our hospital), maybe some utility apps (calculator, calendar, weather, alarm, maybe something like Skype or an app like TuneIn Radio, which would let them listen to local stations. Basically, we'd have to come up with a list of room-approved apps.

I would want the smallest size (I assume smaller is cheaper?), and we don't need it to have really fast specs, but we don't want to get too bad of ones, because we'd want them to have a 2-3 year lifespan, at least. I don't even care if there is a camera on it, definitely no 3G needed as have WiFi throughout our campus already.

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Google nexus..watch this space....or check it out yourself. Now flying from a website near you. Not out for a couple more months yet tho'..I'm savin hard!

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. i think you'd prefer a 7" tablet of Ainol(which have good quality and lower price). Actually there's a new 7" version of Ainol will be launched soon, it's named Ainol novo 7 Tornado. you can have a look. it's also a under $100 tablet PC. Hope you can find what you want! Good luck! :)

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
tornado sounds good but I would wait to see if it has similar feedback/problems as the paladin its replacing, also lot of talk about ainol bringing ou new models every few months rather than upgrading current tablets

mbabcock

Apr 19, 2012
I'm not really worried about the exact model. In fact, I'm not worried about that at all, yet.

I just don't have any experience with android, so I'm wondering more about the feasibility of this kind of use. Once we hear more about that topic, we can get into actually looking at the different models. Has anyone heard of these being used like that at all?

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
I would open a new thread to look into any apps that can help. Most decent tablets can do the same tasks but you seem to need to know about specific apps rather than devices. Some of the more seasoned forumites might help if you just ask those specific questions. They read newbie threads but might not take time for most which tend to ask what tab this or what tab that. Make sure you grab their interest by asking if there are apps that can do what you want, then go look for tabs that are up to the task. Good luck.