happy w/touchnooter-1-6-4

linux_author

Jul 27, 2011
used noogie.img to first back up the internal 2GB (dunno why some many folks don't do this, then post tales of woe), then booted w/a touchnooter SD to effect the 'upgrade' of my Nook STR mostly happy... there are a few annoyances, but after installing a working Market.apk, have found some nice apps... (hopefully touchnooter will be updated soon) some nitpicks: - one cannot easily uninstall some apps from the install without command-line incantations... (the uninstall app works fine for Market installs) - the calendar app features an unsightly SD card image outline - ugh! some real likes: - for all appearances, the Nook STR appears to be a factory reader (same GUI, screens, software)... BUT, a simple tap on a tiny button on the right side of the screen brings up the launcher for a 'droid experience w/some useful apps/games (xmhajongg, chess, calculator, news/wx, etc.) ... the learning curve - being new to a 'droid install and use - has not been too bad... i'm very pleased w/my 'droid ereader - it has GREAT battery life for an inexpensive tablet and after all, It's All Good Under the Hood™! :)

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Well, this is something new and different. It's not often we have a new member contribute to the forum and then post an introduction an hour and a half later.:) It's nice to have someone in that area of the forum who's familiar with the "Touch" and will hopefully be willing and able to answer questions about it if any come up.

linux_author

Jul 27, 2011
you're most kind, Mr. Spider... the 'upgraded' Nook STR is my intro to the 'droid experience - but if i may date myself, my other handheld/tablets run the gamut from the VTech Helio, Agenda, Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 (stolen from me by Florida Van Lines - ackpht!), an HP3600, and most recently, a pair of Nokia N800s (replaceable BPL-5 batteries at US$12!)...

the Nook STR is quite cost-effective, IMHO (although the hunt is on for a 3.X 'droid tablet w/decent battery life)

willie

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
In case you haven't already been there,:) you'll probably find some information pertinent to your hunt for a 3.X 'droid tablet in the Honeycomb section of the forum.

maryv

Oct 21, 2011
Spider... where do I find the basic info for how to do these steps. I hacked a Samsung phone once, so I could probably do this. Also, have you found any fixes for the problems? I looked on YouTube for any examples of the someone using the Rooted Nook browser or Kindle and all I found were really glitchy looking examples... slow boots etc. I love eink and probably spend 2 hrs/day or more on my Kindle but I would like a more user friendly browser and I really hate that the new Kindle Touch 3G has no SD drive.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Spider... where do I find the basic info for how to do these steps. I hacked a Samsung phone once, so I could probably do this. Also, have you found any fixes for the problems? I looked on YouTube for any examples of the someone using the Rooted Nook browser or Kindle and all I found were really glitchy looking examples... slow boots etc. I love eink and probably spend 2 hrs/day or more on my Kindle but I would like a more user friendly browser and I really hate that the new Kindle Touch 3G has no SD drive.

As posted in the other thread NookTouch Rooting - nookDevs.

JP