having problems playing some videos on the a500 tablet

alinam

Feb 1, 2012
good evening need to know if anyone has the same problem i have. bought an iconia a500 in september. main reason was to play flash videos from the Artistnetwork.TV as I am an artist and member. it worked fine at first, within one month I could only play the first 3 videos including the demo, but not the rest, you can hear the voices but there is only a gray box. spoke to Acer, after trying to reset it several times with their instructions, i was told there was a system failure, took it back to Best Buy, they sent it to the Geek Squat, they replace it with a new one. Again, everything was fine for about 1 month, then same thing happened. I just took it back yesterday, they sent it on its merry way to the Geek Squat. I can play youTube videos without any problems, yet, the ones from the Artistnetwork.TV have the issues. They supposely are flash 9.1. Has anyone run into this type of problem? i am going bananas here... thank you all

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Sad.

People, NEVER listen to what tech support says.
These people are idiots, reading from scripts. They were flipping burgers last week.

Its a shame they had to send you thru all of that trouble rather than just tell you that
the site was made for desktop machines, and the encoding they use is pretty non-standard.
It seems to be some windows based content delivered via Flash.

More than likely Artistsnetwork.TV changed the encoding of their videos since the time they worked well.
Not being a member, I can only watch the pre-views. Some work, some don't.

Adobe Flash is a transport mechanism. The media transported within it can be any
number of different formats, using various types of encoding. They chose an encoding
that does not work well on Android. You might ***** to them, and see if they have
an alternative source.

Nothing wrong with your Acer, but this site was not designed for it.

Last edited:

dosma

Nov 8, 2011
I'm having similar problems that some videos play and others don't. First off, how do you determine what type of media is playing with Android tablets? With windows you right click your mouse on the media and it displays the media type and other media parameters. Is there a similar function in Android? Also, could someone check out this site and let me know whether this flash video plays on your tablet?
Http:northcoastweather.com/wcoast_irloop.htm
It doesn't play on my a500.

...don

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Http:northcoastweather.com/wcoast_irloop.htm
It doesn't play on my a500.

It doesn't play on my desktop either, unless I allow it to download and run a Java Plugin.

Why would I do that? If they can't program a simple loop video in normal web tools, why would I trust any java app they have?
There are a dozen weather apps on the market for free that will get you weather radar loops for any location.

dosma

Nov 8, 2011
Thanks Icebike. I picked that site and flash video as a check to confirm my problem was site related rather than a tablet problem. Actually that site is local to me here in remote northern california and has about any weather application I need all in one place. We get a lot of rain most winters and these long distance animated satalite images are good to gage the strength of incoming storms. I'll send them a message letting them know their site is not tablet friendly at least in regards to flash video.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
The BOM (Bureau of Meterorology) here in Australia is tablet and phone friendly. Works well.

alinam

Feb 1, 2012
thank you Icebike, the funny thing is that I had Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 inches, and never had a problem with videos from ArtistNetwork.TV. should hav kept it... :) thank you again for your help! I promise I will not listen to the techs anymore!

TheQCC

Dec 16, 2011
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/members/dosma.htmldosma:
The Android OS will ask you to select a default programme to play an unknown file type. You choose the app you think will play it and if you select the use as default that app will always play that file type.

If you want to change the app that plays a particular file type, go to Settings, Applicarions, Application settings. Select the app that is currently playing the file and select clear defaults.

The next time you play that file you will be asked to choose a programme.

kooldog

Mar 11, 2012
I am also a new tablet user and am still learning how different the tablet is from my PC. I am trying to stream episodes of my favorite USA network shows on it, but can't seem to do it without having to purchase an app like Netflix. Does anyone know of a way to view these shows for free. I can watch CBS with no problems. Maybe, I'm just "tablet challenged".