Hello from a tablet noob

Vidiot

Apr 3, 2012
Hello all,

I've been reading these forums for advice for a while and have a few questions about my new used Transformer Prime.

Is there anyone who'll sell me a warranty for a used, out of warranty tablet?
How do I know what this thing is worth for insurance purposes? It's scuffed but functional.
Can anyone recommend some vendors (other than the forum sponsors, natch) for accessories?
Any accessory brands to avoid?

Can I load any older app onto the Transformer (runs ICS)? Even if it looks funny, what other restrictions do I have?

I need a recommendation for a free Office app to read/write/edit Microsoft Office documents of all kinds.
Are there any good note taking apps with handwriting recognition or how about something that will work with a desktop OCR?

I was really interested in a cheaper 7" tablet, what processors should I avoid? MIPS?

I'll head on over to the Asus forums and post more specific questions.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello Vidiot, congratulations on your new Transformer Prime and welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join Android tablets. I'm moving your thread to the Asus Tablets forum for you. Those are the kind of questions best answered by someone who has that tablet Good luck!

Vidiot

Apr 3, 2012
Are there any third party AC adapters and cables worth buying or am I stuck buying only the Asus OEM? I'd like to buy at least one more AC adapter, a car adapter and maybe two sync cables.

If I get the USB adapter kit can I connect a card reader in addition to flash drives? I'd rather just buy one adapter and not the card reader as well.

As clunky as it may be, could I connect a USB keyboard and mouse to the adapter to avoid more battery drain through Bluetooth?

Can anyone recommend a vendor for accessories? In addition to cables and such I need screen protectors and a protective sleeve that will stay on the tablet.

How fast a card should I buy? Do I need a Class 6?

Will the Prime load apps from the card?

The previous owner didn't reset the device before selling it. I'd like to back up the apps to the card and a computer and reload a few after a reset, how do I do this? Will the change of accounts prevent me from doing this?