Help picking out a tablet for HDMI / GPS / camera usage

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Discussions' started by jenerous, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jenerous

jenerous Member

I've done so much research my brain hurts, and the folks on this site seem very helpful, so here I am pleading for help picking out a new tablet. :eek:

What I want:
    - Small size (7 or 8 inch screen) for portability
    - Android 3.x OS
    - Wifi only
    - Bluetooth
    - HDMI
    - GPS (without needing a cellular data plan)
    - USB / miniUSB port
    - SD / microSD port
    - 5 MP or better front camera

Things I will do with it:
    - Have multiple people using the same tablet (with their own logins if possible)
    - Play flash games on the web
    - Watch flash player videos from the web, while hooked up to our HDTV (international soccer games to be exact)
    - Use GPS navigation on the road
    - Take pictures

So far I've been very interested in the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, but there are some cons:
    - It seems like the Acer Iconia A100 does most of the same things for a lot less price
    - I'd have to purchase about $50 in additional accessories to connect to my TV (the multimedia dock + the HDMI converter)
    - The camera is only 3MP

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

2. G37

G37 Member

Tablet / Device:
    HTC Ozone
    For what you're looking for, it's going to be the Toshiba Thrive 7". It has the 5MP camera, mini-HDMI out, GPS, bluetooth, wifi, Android OS 3.0+. The two tablets you mention offer some of what you're looking for but not all.

Let me know if that helps

3. jenerous

jenerous Member

Thanks for the reply G37. I didn't even realize the Thrive came in a 7 inch! Looks like it has everything on my wishlist, although it's definitely larger and heavier than the Galaxy. Also it would be hard to resist springing the extra $20 to upgrade to the 10 inch Thrive. :rolleyes:

Looks like between the Galaxy 7.0 Plus and the Thrive 7", it's a battle of slim vs features. Tough one! I'll have to check them out in the store I think before deciding.