(How To) Downmix stereo to mono and boost volume for the internal Nook Color speaker

Discussion in 'Nook Color Technical' started by rico2001, May 14, 2011.

1. rico2001

rico2001 Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    Thanks to psybertech on Androidcentral.com

This tweak works great in UD 3.3, so this should work for all roms android 2.2 and up; very noticeable increase in sound volume. After getting netflix working, this was the last thing that needed fixing. Happy watching and music listening. :)
  2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    You know what's even easier? Headphones ;)

Haha

JP
  3. jinnijinn

jinnijinn Junior Member

I don't have ADB. The instructions say ADB OR Root Explorer, and I have the latter. Are there instructions for a RE-only solution?
  4. rico2001

rico2001 Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    Sure you can just use headphones, if you are fine with settling and don't want to achieve what this tweak will do for you. :) Headphone volume will be increased as well.

For UD, CM and any other Gingerbread (android 2.3) rom, there is no asound.conf in /system/etc so the adb push of asound.conf files is simple and easy.

Trust me adb is easier and I suggest you go that route. Getting adb is esay.

...but here are the RE instructions :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    I was just giving you a hard time Rico :) Head phones for sure if you need stereo though. Mostly I use the speaker myself and this is handy to know. The biggest problem isn't really the volume of the speaker it is the location. While the user can't hear it wel,l anybody on the opposite side sure can! Hopefully that will be fixed in NookColor 2 so you don't have to amplify the sound, just direct it where it needs to go.

JP
  6. rico2001

rico2001 Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    ^
    I believe you are missing the point, in that most all small devices have speakers in the rear. This modification should have been standard for the Nook Color. The volume set and mono internal speaker were meant primarily for voice audio from books. As author of the tweak said, the speaker only put out a mono left channel not stereo and only the headphone produced stereo. This may not be a big deal to you but is to many others. He not only increased the volume but incorporated both left and right stereo to be played their our one internal speaker. With this tweak you will be able to hear anything clear as a bell 5 or so feet away and in a Nook Color case that is blocking the speaker.

Again, my point why wait for the NC2, which will have better volume (since it will be tab oriented), when there is a modification you can make now. This mod is a bit technical to pull off so some may want to wait for a CWM flashable zip to be released.
  7. Goldberry

Goldberry Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nookcolor
    Are there not apps out their that someone could get free or buy if they are not technically inclined to do this
  8. RASTAVIPER

RASTAVIPER Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOK COLOR
    Right.All these sound boosters that U can find in the market arent doing similar job?
  9. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    I do get it and do appreciate the work that has been done to correct the issue. But I still think it was a mistake by B&N here only. I understand why they used the mono speaker and that any speaker is better than none. I love my nook and for the price can deal with some design compromises.

I do think it was short sighted to primarily focus on just enough sound for audio books though which it seems they did and yet they promote the music and video capabilities. The speaker really is fine is you listen to it from the backside which is the issue. I am glad that it can be overcome but really the speaker should have had some edge or front openings so the sound wasn't completely the worng direction is all.

Using a stock Nook with stock settings it is glaringly obvious that the sound blows. Not only is it hard to hear but when you turn it up it quickly becomes too loud since the stock volume only has like 8 positions and doesn't let you get just the right volume. By the time I can hear it from in front of the screen, the people across the coffee shop are casting looks in the direction of all the noise blaring out of the back.

I wouldn't trade it for anything else even at twice the price though :D

JP
  10. ivanpos

ivanpos Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    nook
    So does this speaker fix also make your headphones mono also?
  11. mel_nook

mel_nook Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Rooted CM7
    I'm running CM7 on my nook from the microsd card. I'm not really a geek, just newbie. Can i do this to my CM7 to fix the mono sound ?
  12. J515OP

Tablet / Device:
    The Nook only has one speaker so it will always be mono. This fix just mixes both L and R so you don't get only the default one as well as increasing the sound out put. So you hear both L and R instead of only one or the other but they are still mixed into a single source and come from a single speaker.

Most of the time you won't notice one of the channels is missing since most media doesn't have that much channel separation but on occassion you'll get something that sounds funny because they are explointing the use of a L and R channel for a specific effect.