How to install Google apps to a beta Honeycomb?

ctibor

Oct 31, 2011
Hi,

I got a "DVC N10" tablet (ordered from Aliexpress) a couple of days ago. Even the name of the device has some confusion, because the Settings shows the tablet name as "V91", and I realised surfing another forum that it is (or very similar to) the "Advent Vega V2". So, I even don't know the real name, but the hardware of the device is good enough: 1G RAM Memory, 16G ROM, 1 Ghz Nvidia Tegra dual-core processor, 10,1 capacitive screen, 10 points touch, etc.
It runs the latest Honeycomb version -- and this is exactly my problem!

The data from Settings/About:

Modell no.: V91
Android version: 3.2.1
Kernel: 2.6.36.3 ant@ant-build #56
Build no. v00.07.00 20111007

The tablet works well, it's fast enough, has bright screen with nice colours, and 5-6 hours of battery life. But the firmware must be a BETA Android version, because it has NO Goggle apps, so, I cannot use Market, Gmail, etc. Therefore the functionality of the otherwise strong device is limited. I certainly asked for help to the vendor but they just promised a new firmware to be released later. When? - nobody knows...

So, I need help for installing the normal Google apps to the device! (I will not resolve every problem, e.g. the camera of the tablet does not work and the microphone sometimes works other times not. But at least I'd like to regain the usual Android functions form Google Sync to Maps.)

Please, help me if you can. Thanks in advance,

Tibor

mtissot

Dec 9, 2011
Hi
I have exactely the same hardware (V91) and I think too it's the same as Advent Vega 2.
I have the same problem (No google account connection and all the google apps don't run because of this problem)

I want to do an update and try to install vegacomb 3.2.9b but it doesn't boot. so I am always with my 3.2.1 with no google apps...
If you know more, please let me know too.

Thanks in advance

ctibor

Oct 31, 2011
I finally could install Google apps to the tablet, without changing the whole ROM. I partly used the method described in the following thread:

Install Android 3.0 Honeycomb and Market on Nook Color

But I didn't flash the firmware, just flashed the Google apps that is at the end of the referred page. But it was not easy at all... I installed to my laptop Android SDK, drivers, etc. -- a lot of stuff. And then, after a lot of attempts, the ADB software (part of Android SDK) recognised the laptop, made connenction, so I could flash the package of apps downloaded from the link also avaible at the referred page. Then, when I saw that everything works well, I replaced some apps (Market, G-mail, Maps) in the packege with the latest versions, and reflashed the whole package. (But, if you do the same, don't forget renaming the new apps to the same name as it is in the package otherwise the batch command file will not recognize the files.)

Now I have the firmware included the fresh versions of the most important Google apps. And I can install any other Google apps too, because 'Google framework' is also a part of the ROM and allows it. Market normally recognises the tablet I can download new apps from it, Gmail synchronises with my Google mailbox, etc.

Since I'm not an AT expert, the whole work, with lots of experiments, wrong attempts, etc. lasted one week! It is just a partial success, because this beta firmware still has some bugs (e.g. the microphone sometimes works, other times not and I cannot find out what causes the defect and how to fix it). Unfortunatelly the seller firm keeps promising a new firmware but so far produced nothing...

Good luck to thoose trying to do the same work!

Last edited: