How to Unroot Mid 7036 ?

uknow

Dec 19, 2012
Hey all,

Thank you for any help or info you can provide. Just installed the Root file from Vampirefo. on my brand new MID7036 and it worked great.

Of course right after rooting, I noticed a dead pixel in my display and now need to return to the store for an exchange. My question is, How do I un-root this device now to get it back to factory firmware?

Thank you for any info.

Troy

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Did you make a system dump of the firmware before adding Google apps to it?

uknow

Dec 19, 2012
Did you make a system dump of the firmware before adding Google apps to it?

No i didnt. Never had to unroot anything before. I have four of these tablets though. Only two rooted so far, two brand new in the box still so i can make a dump with one of those two if possible to use for this other one.. I will look at vampirefo's thread again. Thank you

Dec 13, 2012
how are you going to sysdump with an unrooted coby? I just did a sysdump of my 7036 and HAD to root and install busybox

uknow

Dec 19, 2012
I dont know... the root installs gapps at the same time and everyone says to sysdump before those are put on so was thinking it had to be done from stock tab. Im at work right now and will figure it out later when i get home. Thank you for the help so far.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The root process for my tablet differs from yours and I didn't take that into account in asking whether you had made a dump. Sorry.

uknow

Dec 19, 2012

Thanks Vamp. I downloaded the unroot file to my spare SD card, just as with the root file. (removed the root file and formatted SD card first)

Then followed your instructions. After the last reboot, everything is still there... all the gapps and everything. Didn't work for me.

(also a side note. When I rooted, there is two separate gallery Icons. Not sure if anybody else experienced that. Any way to get rid of one of them?)

Thanks again.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks Vamp. I downloaded the unroot file to my spare SD card, just as with the root file. (removed the root file and formatted SD card first)

Then followed your instructions. After the last reboot, everything is still there... all the gapps and everything. Didn't work for me.

(also a side note. When I rooted, there is two separate gallery Icons. Not sure if anybody else experienced that. Any way to get rid of one of them?)

Thanks again.

Works just fine for me and 4 beta testers, oh well anyway you can use es file explorer set root permissions and delete the files.

Edit just reread your post, this should go on internal memory, not micro sdcard, this could be why it didn't work try again this time don't use a micro sdcard.

Last edited:

uknow

Dec 19, 2012
tried again from SD card and also from internal SD card. Still no luck. This thing is box stock. no other mods, still has the plastics on it.

What the heck am I missing?

I did notice my PC can see all the files, but on the tablet I downloaded astro file manager just now just to see what was on the SD card, and it see's the update.zip folder, but when I open the update.zip folder using astro, its empty... is that normal? That was when it was on the SD card.

EDIT: its not empty, it shows the META-INF folder, then when I open that, it doesn't show any of the files inside there.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
check the md5sum

5554a5a5c9e0ae5a67ebe0fba64e8fa5 /home/vampirefo/Downloads/unroot_telechips_signed.zip