HTC Down, But Not Out; Taiwanese Government Will Step in to Assist

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
htc-logo-on-phone.jpeg

Over the past few weeks/months we have heard increasingly worrisome news regarding the financial stability of HTC. Just recently we even reported that investor's are dumping HTC's stock in droves and dropped $1 Billion dollars off the company's market cap. HTC may be "on the ropes" but don't count them out yet! The company is so important to the economy of Taiwan, that the Taiwanese government is currently working out ways it can help the floundering giant. Here's a quote sharing some of the details about the request that got this ball rolling,

Speaking at a cabinet meeting, Perng Fai-nan said that the financial status of HTC is “of vital importance to the islands’ gross domestic product” and urged government to provide some financial assistance. Realizing that HTC has been a great contributor to Taiwan’s economy, he believes that the “bailout” will help boost the country’s ever declining export numbers, which have fallen for 5 consecutive months.

It's good to hear that we shouldn't give up on HTC. How many of you guys are rooting for them to make a big comeback?

Source: HTCOneForum via AndroidAuthority

mpmilestogo

Mar 13, 2010
I want to see HTC succeed, be a competitor in a space which they can excel at. They cannot challenge the "shotgun" approach of Samsung; but I believe there are spaces and places for them to add value particularly in the android ecosystem. I suggest that they refocus their energies on building lesser sets of phones and focus on a market segment which they kind of started with the HTC One series. They can also add value IF google opens up the Nexus playground to multiple vendors. I thought their Nexus One was a very nice entry. Unfortunately, these days, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the "super phone" and big gorilla of the place. HTC needs to chart a course which will take them to different places. Maybe lesser numbers of phones launched but with better hardware.

I don't want to see HTC simply fade away to some discrete corner. I want them to compete, succeed, and thrive. We as consumers deserve to have multiple competing vendors for our precious currencies.

They just need to map a course and then build products which differentiate them. I for one would like to see google open up the Nexus world to multiple vendors. I'd like a Motorola Nexus, a HTC Nexus, a Samsung Nexus, a LG Nexus. Same with tablets.

Speaking only for myself, I won't buy another phone which has a skin or UI placed over the top of AOSP. What I want to experience is what google designed.

I think there are places where HTC can build a value add there.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I'm a big fan of their hardware, I have an EVO 3D which I love. Obviously this phone, as well as the 3D offering from LG, didnt have that much success but for a true gadget fan like me there could almost be nothing better. Of course I also have a Sony Tablet P which I absolutely love as well so my tastes are obviously a little out of the mainstream.
Still the more manufacturers making phones the more innovation we are likely yo see

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I'm a big fan of their hardware, I have an EVO 3D which I love. Obviously this phone, as well as the 3D offering from LG, didnt have that much success but for a true gadget fan like me there could almost be nothing better. Of course I also have a Sony Tablet P which I absolutely love as well so my tastes are obviously a little out of the mainstream.
Still the more manufacturers making phones the more innovation we are likely to see as they try to differentiate themselves. In obviously NOT the type that wants all Android devices yo be Nexus clones.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I have no idea why it posted like that, but it also suddenly wont allow me too edit a post. Weird behaviour of the software.