I Want to Buy a New Android Tablet, Any Suggestions?

Which Tablet?

• Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Google Nexus 7

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Google Nexus 10

• Asus Transformer Pad Infinity

• Sony Tablet S

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

timarp000

Nov 11, 2012
I have couple of tablets in mind,
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Google Nexus 7
Google Nexus 10
Asus Transformer Pad Infinity
Sony Tablet S

I cannot choose between these tablets.

8 gigs isnt enough, id need at lease 16gb and hopefully 32gb or more...

1.Which one has the best touch screen?
2.Which one will be best for watching movies?
3.Which one will be more responsive?
4.Which one will be better in gaming?
5.Which one will be better in browing the web?
6.Which one would be better for reading ebooks?
7.Which one would be better for editing photos, doodle-ing and making collages?

Main Comparison : Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Vs. Google Nexus 10

Thank You! Hopefully you can help :)

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I would say that unless you look at the Galaxy Note 10.1 and think - a tablet with a built in Wacom Digitizer, where have you been all my life (this is me, no large screen tablet could possibly compete) then the Asus Infinity or Nexus 10 are your best bet.

Sent from my Sony Tablet P

timarp000

Nov 11, 2012
I would say that unless you look at the Galaxy Note 10.1 and think - a tablet with a built in Wacom Digitizer, where have you been all my life (this is me, no large screen tablet could possibly compete) then the Asus Infinity or Nexus 10 are your best bet.

would you choose a Nexus 10 or a Asus Transformer Pad Infinity?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I think overall you first need to head out and check out the form factor. 10" tabs vs the 7" are no comparison. You either want one or the other. I know some users who had a 10" tab for a while, got the 7" and love it. Other have tried the 7 and cannot stand it. So, put the specs aside and determine which you think you want. The 7" is almost pocketable, but the screen is a bit smaller.

How much storage do you think you need? All of these come in 16 and 32 GB varieties except the Infinity which is 32 and 64 GB. I have a 16 GB tablet and only about 3-4 GB of apps, 1-2 GB of files and have more than half of the internal memory free.

Next, are you thinking about using this as a multi-media consumption device? If yes, is it for media you are going to play locally, or stream netflix? If it is local media, I would recommend getting a tablet with a memory card slot. This takes the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 out of the running as they have no expandable memory. If you are just going to watch Amazon, Google and Netflix movies, then any of them will suffice.

Also consider how much music you may want to have on it. If you want your entire collection, depending on the size you may want to have it on external storage. You can store up to 20,000 songs in Google Music Beta and download some on to your tab when you want.

Resolution - Do you want to be able to watch 1080p videos at full resolution? If yes, you will want either then Infinity or the Nexus 10. The Nexus 7, Sony and Note only have a 1280 x 800 pixel resolution. This is good for 720p, but not for 1080p.

Brightness - Do you think you will use your tablet in direct sunlight? If so, the IPS+ of the Infinity is priceless. You can use it in direct sunlight without issue. Some of the others, not so much.

HDMI - Do you think you want HDMI Output to show movies/slideshows on a TV? If the answer is Yes or Maybe, then the Infinty and Nexus 10 are the only two to consider. The others do not have an HDMI output. It may be possible via a dongle, but I have not seen anything concrete on any of these tabs confirming that.

Cameras - The Infinity has the best cameras (8MP/2MP). The Sony only has a VGA (0.3) for front facing. This may be a killer if you plan to do any video chatting as it is pretty low quality. Also, note that the Nexus 7 does not have a rear facing camera. I am not sure if you think you will take any photos with your tablet, but I have done it from time to time when it is the only device I have handy.

Lastly, do you think you want it to be a netbook? I have the TF101 with the keyboard dock and I love the ability to have a real keyboard, touchpad and USB port. Not to mention another SD card. I have 16 GB internal storage, a 64 GB microSD and a 64 GB SD card. Not to mention I get 16 hours of use out of it between charges.

As far as your list of questions, because all of these tablets you have picked out are pretty top of the line devices, I doubt you will notice much difference between any two of them other than the 7 vs. 10 factor. The only place that one will stand out is that I think the Note 10.1 will be much better for doodling, notes and collages. Editing photos, I have not found any good apps that work for my (10+ megapixel) shots as even the Photoshop app scales anything you work on down to a max size of 1600 x 1600 pixels, regardless how large the file started.

If it were my decision, I would go with the Infinity with a keyboard dock (18+ hours of use I believe), but I am a bit biased towards Asus products.

I also know that what I like and want is totally different that what you may want. My wife has an iPad 2 and it is perfect for her. She is not willing to hop on the Android train, and forcing someone to do it does not usually help out.

timarp000

Nov 11, 2012
I think overall you first need to head out and check out the form factor. 10" tabs vs the 7" are no comparison. You either want one or the other. I know some users who had a 10" tab for a while, got the 7" and love it. Other have tried the 7 and cannot stand it. So, put the specs aside and determine which you think you want. The 7" is almost pocketable, but the screen is a bit smaller.

How much storage do you think you need? All of these come in 16 and 32 GB varieties except the Infinity which is 32 and 64 GB. I have a 16 GB tablet and only about 3-4 GB of apps, 1-2 GB of files and have more than half of the internal memory free.

Next, are you thinking about using this as a multi-media consumption device? If yes, is it for media you are going to play locally, or stream netflix? If it is local media, I would recommend getting a tablet with a memory card slot. This takes the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 out of the running as they have no expandable memory. If you are just going to watch Amazon, Google and Netflix movies, then any of them will suffice.

Also consider how much music you may want to have on it. If you want your entire collection, depending on the size you may want to have it on external storage. You can store up to 20,000 songs in Google Music Beta and download some on to your tab when you want.

Resolution - Do you want to be able to watch 1080p videos at full resolution? If yes, you will want either then Infinity or the Nexus 10. The Nexus 7, Sony and Note only have a 1280 x 800 pixel resolution. This is good for 720p, but not for 1080p.

Brightness - Do you think you will use your tablet in direct sunlight? If so, the IPS+ of the Infinity is priceless. You can use it in direct sunlight without issue. Some of the others, not so much.

HDMI - Do you think you want HDMI Output to show movies/slideshows on a TV? If the answer is Yes or Maybe, then the Infinty and Nexus 10 are the only two to consider. The others do not have an HDMI output. It may be possible via a dongle, but I have not seen anything concrete on any of these tabs confirming that.

Cameras - The Infinity has the best cameras (8MP/2MP). The Sony only has a VGA (0.3) for front facing. This may be a killer if you plan to do any video chatting as it is pretty low quality. Also, note that the Nexus 7 does not have a rear facing camera. I am not sure if you think you will take any photos with your tablet, but I have done it from time to time when it is the only device I have handy.

Lastly, do you think you want it to be a netbook? I have the TF101 with the keyboard dock and I love the ability to have a real keyboard, touchpad and USB port. Not to mention another SD card. I have 16 GB internal storage, a 64 GB microSD and a 64 GB SD card. Not to mention I get 16 hours of use out of it between charges.

As far as your list of questions, because all of these tablets you have picked out are pretty top of the line devices, I doubt you will notice much difference between any two of them other than the 7 vs. 10 factor. The only place that one will stand out is that I think the Note 10.1 will be much better for doodling, notes and collages. Editing photos, I have not found any good apps that work for my (10+ megapixel) shots as even the Photoshop app scales anything you work on down to a max size of 1600 x 1600 pixels, regardless how large the file started.

If it were my decision, I would go with the Infinity with a keyboard dock (18+ hours of use I believe), but I am a bit biased towards Asus products.

I also know that what I like and want is totally different that what you may want. My wife has an iPad 2 and it is perfect for her. She is not willing to hop on the Android train, and forcing someone to do it does not usually help out.
I ve shortened it down to a note 10.1 or a infinity... i would like the full HD display, but the stylus is very usefull, ill have to compromise :( and will the 1280x800 be comfortable for reading ebooks?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I ve shortened it down to a note 10.1 or a infinity... i would like the full HD display, but the stylus is very usefull, ill have to compromise :( and will the 1280x800 be comfortable for reading ebooks?

I use my TF101 to read Kindle books. I have no issues with a 1280 x 800 display with the smallest font, widest margins and 2 column format. here is a screenshot:

IgRgE.jpg

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The resolution of some of the 10" tablets is pushing that of a 22" LED/LCD desktop monitor. At some point you need to step back and take a hard look at that. I wager most people, doing the things most people do with a tablet won't be able to tell the difference even when watching a movie. I have a 1280x800 display and all the movies I have been able to find have shown off that display very impressively. Even when shown to the iPad users. IMHO the resolution factor is somewhat overblown. Most people simply feel more is better, maybe!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
If you decide on the Note 10.1 I think you will find the display to be quite satisfactory, good color saturation and brightness, and for reading ebooks you would be quite happy. The Note offers features no other tablet can match, it just depends on if they would be useful to you. Add to this a processor with so far unmatched power, 2gigs of ram to back it up and dual band wifi that connects in mere seconds (about 3 seconds to connect to my home router). You do need an adapter but it will do hdmi. I personally love the design and like the Nexus 10 it is light enough to be comfortably held and used for extended periods, there is a reason Samsung has stuck with the plastic housing.
If I were to have to choose between the Infinity and the Nexus 10 I would probably choose the Infinity beause of the available keyboard dock and memory expansion. Unless price was a real issue, then the Nexus is hard to beat. Plus I can't say enough about the superiority of front facing speakers on a tablet.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
To add to the display, I have gone to BestBuy and compared a 1280x800 (TF300) to the 1920x1200 (TF700) side by side. I can BARELY tell a difference. But, compared to an iPad or iPad2 vs a 1280x800, it is a world of difference.

No matter what you decide, I venture to guess you will be 100% satisfied.