Indie Developers Outraged as Google Requires a Published Physical Address on Play Store

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
crazy-google-logo.png

Something is amiss in Google-land. Google just announced a new policy which has independent developers enraged, and for good reason. As of September 30th, 2014, Google will now require all developers to publish a physical address on the Google Play Store. This is for anyone who wants to host their app on the Google Play Store, and applies to paid apps or apps with in-app purchases. You can see the details in the screen grab below.

google-developer-address-annoucement.jpg

Keep in mind that this must be a "physical address," so a Post Office Box won't work. This is wrong on so many levels, it's baffling to fathom that...

Continue Reading @: http://www.droidforums.net/threads/...lished-physical-address-on-play-store.274227/

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
When I first heard this news I thought about pulling my apps. They aren't anything special and probably wouldn't be missed but it is cool to tell people I have apps in the Play Store.

cali

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sep 25, 2011
Just the other day I saw your apps. BTW, I also agree that I don't like this new policy of Google's. Another example of their trampling of the individual's right to privacy. I would be darned if I ever wanted my physical address on the internet for all to see! It is bad enough as it is, how often I come off of that personal info.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
It turns out there is an easy workaround. Apparently you can get a PO Box at a Post office, but then get the physical address of the post office where it is located. If you include that with the PO Box number (only), then it looks like a real physical address. Here's a fake example:

Post Office physical address = 1234 Anywhere Street

John Doe
1234 Anywhere Street, #678
New Jack City, NY 77777

It's still really irritating that they are doing this though! grrrr... :mad:

technoid

Aug 27, 2014
There is an alternative: move the sale of your Android apps over to Amazon and discontinue use of Google's Play store. I will no longer download or buy Android apps through Google!

As for the policy, the part that angers me the most is that it cannot be a post office box. I live in a very rural area where about 40% of us do not have a phyical address. And, of course, the reality is that despite what Google is saying, there is absolutely no legal requirement for them implement this policy. Therefore, Google must be doing so in order to collect even more personal data. I am getting very sick and tired of this world domination crap from huge Internet companies. And why to they do it? Nothing so lofty as spying for the NSA or other crackpot conspiracies; it is purely motivated by greed.

cali

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sep 25, 2011
As for the post office solution: People have been using mail box store addresses (UPS Store, formerly Mail Boxes Etc.) for a long time to get around the address conundrum. Although the post office changed the rules many years ago that you have to indicate you have a postal mail box by making "PMB ###", as the second line of the address, most just ignore that. Good idea for homeless people that need to have an "address".

Jeffrey

Super Moderator
Jul 27, 2014
There is an alternative: move the sale of your Android apps over to Amazon and discontinue use of Google's Play store. I will no longer download or buy Android apps through Google!

As for the policy, the part that angers me the most is that it cannot be a post office box. I live in a very rural area where about 40% of us do not have a phyical address. And, of course, the reality is that despite what Google is saying, there is absolutely no legal requirement for them implement this policy. Therefore, Google must be doing so in order to collect even more personal data. I am getting very sick and tired of this world domination crap from huge Internet companies. And why to they do it? Nothing so lofty as spying for the NSA or other crackpot conspiracies; it is purely motivated by greed.
With all due respect, Google can require any information they feel necessary from those who wish to sell their product via the Play Store.
There are no laws that mandate what information a company may require in order for anyone to do business with them.
Banks require home and business addresses, Social Security Number, All your phone numbers and contact information of the closest relative not living with you. If you refuse this information, they will refuse to do business with you.
The choice is clearly yours...

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
@Jeffrey , what I understand the problem to be is not that Google requires the address, but that they plan on posting it publicly for everyone to see, including people NOT wanting to purchase their app.