Kyros 7024 as a PMP

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
I am looking at the Kyros 7024 as an upgrade to my ZuneHD. I am interested in the sound, picture and video quality. Need something to see pictures and video of new Granddaughter. (Games and light browsing are secondary requirements)

Does 7024 have:
Screen brightness controls?
AVCHD support? (cannon camcorder1080P)
Ok in sunlight?
Music equalizer and good sound?

The ZuneHD has a GREAT touch screen and an OK browser (no flash) BUT it is just too small for picts and video.

PartsMan

Apr 11, 2011
It does have brightness controls and I rarely have to turn mine over half way up.
Plenty bright for out in the sun cranked up.

One note on flash. It does load and "work" but will slow down the machine and lock it up after a little while.
I have set my browser to use plugins on demand and get along pretty good only using flash when I need it.

If you are going to watch a lot of flash video you might want to wait for the 7025.

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
It does have brightness controls and I rarely have to turn mine over half way up.
Plenty bright for out in the sun cranked up.

One note on flash. It does load and "work" but will slow down the machine and lock it up after a little while.
I have set my browser to use plugins on demand and get along pretty good only using flash when I need it.

If you are going to watch a lot of flash video you might want to wait for the 7025.

A poor flash app is OK. As I said I want a good PMP for pictures, video and MP3's first and an internet and flash tablet second.

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
I have not had any 1080 stuff to tryout. We're still using Super 8 :) I did watch a couple TV shows from StreamTV Lite on my 7024. They were clear and streamed without a single hick up.

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
A poor flash app is OK. As I said I want a good PMP for pictures, video and MP3's first and an internet and flash tablet second.

UPDATE
Ok I did get the MID8024 to use mostly as a PMP. Here is what I have found after a week of trying things out. I will admit I have never seen android before getting this tablet so I am a total android noob.

Pictures:
Jpegs look pretty good...some better then others?? The 8024 seems a little slow displaying 10Mpix Jpegs so I am going to reduce them to 800X600 and see how that is (having some trouble doing that?).
I could put in the USB cable and plug in a flash drive OR card reader with my cannon SD card and see the pictures!!! That was a motivation for getting the tablet....no more lugging around my 6 yr old laptop to look at pictures we take.

Music:
Speakers are OK for being so small...I need to have the volume up to almost HIGH to hear things like alarms. I tried the Eagles 'Hotel California' with some good Sony Bass boost ear buds and the kick bass drum in the start of the song was loud and clear. Sound works very well for my needs.

Videos:
AVI - I have trouble with color smear?? Sound syncs and video will play. Tried a different player but the file did not play at all. (AVI files off my Cannon snap shot camera):(
MOV - (quick time) Files from a little pocket Kodak camcorder played GREAT.:) Good color and sound. The camera can do 720p I have not tried that yet as my daughter now has the Kodak.
MTS: Files from my new 1080p Canon camcorder. If I rename to MPG they play with good sound and no shuddering BUT at low resolution with some grain and jagged edges. Ok for now.

Other:
The email/calender found my work Exchange account right away and fulling synchronized..NICE:D

Browser: Works well but I installed Dolphin HD and flash 10.3 which works VERY WELL and has tabs.

ebooks: Could not get Aldiko to open a book??? FBreader worked good.

Camera Video: Pretty poor but I don't care. Maybe if Skype gets a good working app I will care more.

Menu Soft buttons: Yeah can be a pain...when browsing I put them at the top so I never hit them by mistake.

HDMI: waiting for my cable. (will update after trying it on my 42" samsung)

Conclusion: Still working out some minor video bugs and picts look better on my old OLED Zune HD(just way too small) BUT I am very happy :Dwith my Coby and expect to pretty much replace much of what I used my old laptop for. As new apps come out and get updated I expect the Coby will get used more often....my wife was looking over my way last night as I was checking FB...maybe another tablet???:rolleyes:

Ray50

Apr 24, 2011
I will try to get Netflix going at some point and I was hoping for Hulu or better yet Hulu Plus. For now I still need to plug in my laptop for those which is a pain....(change screen res to match TV, run DVI and audio cables, run ATI software to turn on 2nd display, go to color controls and turn up gamma,run browser...on and on) I hope to use the 8024 at some point which should be a lot easier.