Kyros vs. iPad - same chip!

Radioman55

Jun 2, 2011
Just got my MID7024 from Best Buy. I was doing some reading about processor chip (Soc) that is inside, and it seems as though the 7024 has basically the same chip as the first Gen ipads... and this for around $170! I got this quote from a tech blog:

"Samsung developed the Hummingbird platform based on intellectual property from Intrinsity, a processing solutions company that Apple bought last year for $121 mln to lock in the A4 exclusivity for its own mobile gadgets. Therefore, when dissected, both Hummingbird and A4 share a lot of commonalities, and we'd assume they are fairly similar in basic capabilities too."
Although the documentation never refers to the Coby chip as a "Hummingbird" (nor did Apple in the 1st gen ipad), the chip utilized by the 7024 is a 1 GHz Cortex A8 (just like the Hummingbird) and was "developed by Samsung with Intrinsity" (just like the A4); so it seems to me the 7024 has basically the same chip in it that's running the first generation iPads, yet for less than 1/3 the cost!

Last edited:

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
Just got my MID7024 from Best Buy. I was doing some reading about processor chip (Soc) that is inside, and it seems as though the 7024 has basically the same chip as the first Gen ipads... and this for around $170! I got this quote from a tech blog:

Although the documentation never refers to the Coby chip as a "Hummingbird" (nor did Apple in the 1st gen ipad), the chip utilized by the 7024 is a 1 GHz Cortex A8 (just like the Hummingbird) and was "developed by Samsung with Intrinsity" (just like the A4); so it seems to me the 7024 has basically the same chip in it that's running the first generation iPads, yet for less than 1/3 the cost!

This actually makes quite a bit of sense. As you may have read already, Tipstr found a full fledged OS IMG of android 2.3 from the Original Manufacturer of the Kyros 7015 (not Coby). Since reimaging the Kyros 7015 to 2.3, I've noticed that, while testing the flash capabilities, some websites recognize/think that the Kyros is an iPad. Based on what you've listed here, that seems to explain the cause. Good read. Thanks for sharing.

Radioman55

Jun 2, 2011
Glad I could help! So you got 2.3 running on your 7015... Do you think I could get 2.3 on my 7024?

Martian59

Jun 12, 2011
This actually makes quite a bit of sense. As you may have read already, Tipstr found a full fledged OS IMG of android 2.3 from the Original Manufacturer of the Kyros 7015 (not Coby). Since reimaging the Kyros 7015 to 2.3, I've noticed that, while testing the flash capabilities, some websites recognize/think that the Kyros is an iPad. Based on what you've listed here, that seems to explain the cause. Good read. Thanks for sharing.

Where can a MID7015 download this 2.3 image, success reports and instructions on how to install it?

Thank you.

sercero

May 20, 2011
Hello,

The fact that the web sites recognize the coby kyros as an iPad device has nothing to do with the processor.

When you visit a web site the browser sends the site and identification string so the site can send a custom made html and the browser can reender correctly.

I think that it has been discussed already in the forum that the reendering engine of android browser is webkit which is the same as safari of apple so it makes sense that it identifies itself as an ipad due to the popularity of the later and having many sites tailor made for it.

Last edited:

kentever

Dec 17, 2010
I have searched on Tipstr and cant find anything about 2.3 for the 7015 could someone help me out with a link or dummy directions to it lol. Thanx

Radioman55

Jun 2, 2011
Sercero - That makes sense, especially since my original post was in reference to the 7024 and Sketch has a 7015, thanks for the info.

Kentever - Glad you found what you needed.