Newbie advice - should I wait (7025/26) or buy now (7014/7024)?

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
I have been considering getting a tablet, but don't want to waste my money on something that doesn't work. (After all, I am one of the poor ones out there) After looking through a few forums, it looks like the Coby actually has a strong and active community, their hardware looks decent for the $, and they can be picked up at a local store with a return policy. Now, I am stuck on if I should buy a 7014 now (for about $150), wait a little while for the 7024 (for about $200) to hit the shelves locally, or waiting for the 7025/7026 for who knows how much $ or how long. My primary use for the device will be an eBook reader, occasional gaming (Angry Birds/Bejeweled type games), and to generally play around (hack) with Android. The multitouch screen (which I believe starts with the 7024) might be a nice touch, but not a deal breaker. Any advice is appreciated!!!!!

Again, I am a newbie here. My last reading device (Palm) finally died on me after a good 8 years. Also, I am fairly well versed in Linux (been using as my primary OS for the past 5 years).

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
This is a tough decision. All that I can suggest (as I struggled with this decision myself) is that the 7024 and higher are very new tablets and the community is still learning/working with them. The 7015 however; has a lot of options to really open the tablet up and make it well worth your time.

There are a number of Root functions, custom ROMs, system tweaks and so on in place for 7015. If you are well versed in Linux and would be open to Rooting the tablet, I would say the 7015 would be the way to go. We have some great developers/mods on this forum so I believe that the 7024 will have a lot to offer in time but from what I've read they only just recently rooted it for the first time. Good luck.

Sketch J. O'Brien
Jacksonville, FL

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks Sketch! About what I was thinking, but when I start looking at the next model up for only a little more, I always start doubting which to get. Will be getting the 7015 shortly (without breaking the budget). Can't wait to mod it with Tipsters HoneyComb rom.

jabby

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks Sketch! About what I was thinking, but when I start looking at the next model up for only a little more, I always start doubting which to get. Will be getting the 7015 shortly (without breaking the budget). Can't wait to mod it with Tipsters HoneyComb rom.
Hi driggs-
I just went through the same decision process and chose the 7024 (be here 5/2/11)since all I wanted to do was read and check mail. But I was really tempted by the 7015 and the "tipstir" mods. Any way I found a good price from a good company at:
Coby Kyros Internet Touchscreen Tablet MID7015 B&H Photo Video
Regards - John

Insight

Apr 30, 2011
I have been considering getting a tablet, but don't want to waste my money on something that doesn't work. (After all, I am one of the poor ones out there) After looking through a few forums, it looks like the Coby actually has a strong and active community, their hardware looks decent for the $, and they can be picked up at a local store with a return policy. Now, I am stuck on if I should buy a 7014 now (for about $150), wait a little while for the 7024 (for about $200) to hit the shelves locally, or waiting for the 7025/7026 for who knows how much $ or how long. My primary use for the device will be an eBook reader, occasional gaming (Angry Birds/Bejeweled type games), and to generally play around (hack) with Android. The multitouch screen (which I believe starts with the 7024) might be a nice touch, but not a deal breaker. Any advice is appreciated!!!!!

Again, I am a newbie here. My last reading device (Palm) finally died on me after a good 8 years. Also, I am fairly well versed in Linux (been using as my primary OS for the past 5 years).

Hello Diggs

I am long time tech guy but have no experience with IPhone or tablet type devices. Suspecting that a first tablet choice will only be serving as a training period to find out what I really want and need, I too struggle with price and features. $200 is my limit for this purchase and will I will hack and play with this first tab device until I know what works best for me. I will be waiting for the 7025 as it seems to include most of the features I want to explore and it includes a more a recent android version 2.3 OS. The inclusion of camera and mike are of special interest me. It would be lnteresting to share our experience with our first tab choices down the road. The latest info I have found on Coby 7025 & 06 is here: http://www.mytabletlife.com/2011/03/12/coby-kyros-tablets-shipping-mayjune/

Insight
Whidbey Island, Washington

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
Sounds like a good idea to me, Insight. Who knows, I may send my 7015 back if the 7025's are all they can be. Heard rumors that they will include capacitive screens instead of the 7015/7024's resistive, which might be true since Coby's website has a video of multitouch capabilities, which from what I understand from another thread, does not work on the 7024. That would be a big bonus, but they might push them a tad over your $200 limit.

skuly

Apr 13, 2011
This is my first and only tablet it is kinda nice but android 2.1 seems like it sucks compared to 2.2 because flash would be nice and this mid7015 probably would be a lot better with more ram.

iirc froyo devices have 512 ram and froyo deals with ram better i wish I had waited to buy a newer coby that has atleast android 2.2 and 512 ram .

with honeycomb rom and Swype this tablet is barely worth the 130$ I paid for it

i feel for me a galaxy tab for 350$ or a nook for 250$ with a custom rom like cm7 or whatever roms nook has might of been a better choice, since when I buy something I wait awhile to upgrade so I will probably not be buying my next tablet until atleast mid or late 2012

Watery rom with jit was awesome performance wise, it just freezes radomly within 20 min

Sent from my 7015/7015A HONEYCOMB V9.9.6 B12-L ACADEV using Android Tablet Forum

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
Thanks for chiming in Skuly! I have a 7015 on order already (should be here any day), but I think it will suit my needs for now. Basically, just want something I can use as an e-book reader and play around with the Android OS a little bit. I noticed that velocity cruz T301 was upgraded to Android 2.2 (and on sale at Radio Shack for $150), with the same RAM and less storage (only 2GB), so maybe someone will port over a 2.2 ROM that really works well with the 7015. Maybe I should have gone with the 7024 or waited for the 7025/7026's. I just hope my new toy arrives soon so I can finally play with it...!

BTW: I have seen on a number of posts that performance has improved with the last few releases of Tipsters Honeycomb rom. From your posts tag, it looks like you are using B12 Lite, so you should be able to patch up to B15, if you want to try it. If you do, I would love to hear about the difference in performance (if any). Thanks again!

skuly

Apr 13, 2011
i just put cyanogenmod rom on my 7015 yesterday since even with honeycomb rom my tablet seemed kinda slow, and i have to say so far with cyanogenmod the tablet is a lot faster.

i have a 21' 1080p lcd monitor at home and to me 7' screen on a tablet is kinda to small for watching videos so i wasn't really even watching videos on my 7015 my next tablet will probably 10' at least but yeah cyanogen on 7015 has alot of problems but i only use my tablet for web surfing and reading.

i can live without watching videos on my tablet i just wish i could move apps to sdcard, i only been messing around with cyanogen less than 24 hours but so far im liking my 7015 alot more.

juandpineiro

Apr 9, 2011
i just put cyanogenmod rom on my 7015 yesterday since even with honeycomb rom my tablet seemed kinda slow, and i have to say so far with cyanogenmod the tablet is a lot faster.

i have a 21' 1080p lcd monitor at home and to me 7' screen on a tablet is kinda to small for watching videos so i wasn't really even watching videos on my 7015 my next tablet will probably 10' at least but yeah cyanogen on 7015 has alot of problems but i only use my tablet for web surfing and reading.

i can live without watching videos on my tablet i just wish i could move apps to sdcard, i only been messing around with cyanogen less than 24 hours but so far im liking my 7015 alot more.

To move apps to SD card, you can check out this thread :D http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...by-7015-link2sd-ext2-partition-not-found.html

Unfortunately I can't live without video playback :( surely CyanogenMod is a LOT faster!

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
Just an update for anyone who cares. Got mine this morning! Currently doing the initial charge and will probably be playing with it all weekend. Have a great day! :cool:

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
A8 Cortex out of the box is 800MHz over clock would give you 1GHz speed. Still the 7015 is now quicker using my enhancements, not just the GUI is changed it's the configuration. Same can be done on the 7024, 7025, 7126. Android OS 2.3 suppose to be coming out for the new 7" to 8" would be fine for traveling and 1126 for keep in your office or dwelling. There is 7024 dirt cheap but it runs OS 2.1 still around $156 or $159 new.