Newbie question

lunarminx

Dec 30, 2012
I see everyone is looking to install Google apps and that is why they are trying to hack their coby. I want to know if it is possible to install to my sdcard I added in. It comes up as a extsd, and nothing can be installed to it. I don't know why we even have an option to add one if you can't install to it. Would a custom rom allow that? I already followed the directions from here to root and will be doing the clockworkrecovery tomorrow after work, once I find it. This is what i have been following. Thanks in advance for any and all help in this matter. I have a Coby Mid8042.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ead-first-development-index-root-utility.html

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
In general, apps in Android get installed to /data/app on the tablet and nowhere else. There is an option for some apps whereby most of the app's data can be moved to /mnt/sdcard, but there will always be a portion of the app in /data/app because Android expects to find the app there.

/mnt/extsd is used to store your videos, music, and documents. It's not for executing programs. This is a change from earlier versions of Android, where the MicroSD card was used for this purpose.

There's no ROM available that will allow you to completely install the apps to the MicroSD card. Some of them may have a tweak to enable the MicroSD card to be seen as /mnt/sdcard rather than /mnt/extsd, but even then the complete app will not be installed there.

I hope that makes some sense to you.