Can't Root MID9740

Discussion in 'Coby Generation 3' started by j2m_andro, Jan 17, 2014.

1. j2m_andro

j2m_andro Member

Tablet / Device:
    coby mid9740
    hey there, i recently received a mid9740 and the first thing i wanted to do is to root it and install gapps.. ive been googling for days now and always find myself reading read first development index root utility and ive been doing the steps stated there to root my c(rap)oby mid9740.. ive installed adb drivers following instructions from here and made sure it works, i even got myself prepared, downloaded cwm and read this topic a couple of times now.. but even after being that worked up, i still can't root it.. followinf the instructions for mid9740, RootUtility says it is successfully rooted (for everytime now since 2days ago), but it is (always) not.. not even the slightest sighting of superuser in appdrawer.. even asking adb shell then su says su: not found.. i am working on windows 8 64bit os and i thought that might be the problem. so i dual booted into windows 7, installed every driver and repeated the sam procedure but nothing works.. not to mention i also do a factory reset every time i try to root it..

please help me before i offer that tab's life to livesuit.. :D :D
    p.s ive been reading/googling threads here and it seems like iam the first one to encounter this. and please excuse my grammar abuse.xD and that i just made this account today just for this..

2. Traveller

Traveller Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Dell Streak 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 6
    The root utility is a batch file, which is why it always reads that the root is successful. The file structure on a 9740 is sufficiently different that the root utility may not work on it. You'll need to search the forums, because if I recall correctly there is another root method possible for the 9740 that doesn't use the root utility.

• Like Like x 2
  3. tpaine

tpaine Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby 7042, Coby 8065, Lenovo A2109
    The OP could also use vampirefo's manual root method thru adb for allwinner tabs. Any of his 7042, 8042 or 9042 root thread methods would work.

• Like Like x 4
  4. j2m_andro

j2m_andro Member

Tablet / Device:
    coby mid9740
    im soory for not going back so soooon.. >_< took me, obviously, a long time to find an alternative to this.. but finally, i have rooted my mid9740.. though i did not found it here, i still wanna ask..

i used the batch file provided here, and it successfully rooted my tab.. but i used the root utility here to dump my tablet and uploaded it here. (buildnumber: 20130226.185145) My question is that, can i install gapps using it? using the root utility you have provided?? :)) i want to know anything just before i start installing em.. thanks very much.. :))

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. j2m_andro

j2m_andro Member

Tablet / Device:
    coby mid9740
    okay. so answering my own question.. you can't, or i did it wrong, use the root utility if rooted that way.. my tablet is now under a bootloop.. it is stuck in recovery mode.. and always says

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
    E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
    E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
    E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log

and any command i tried- back up- wipe everything - mount everything --- ends up in error.

any help???

edit: i still have the dump files with me

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  6. vampirefo.

vampirefo. Senior Member Developer

Tablet / Device:
    Leagoo Lead 1 ZTE OPEN C, Coby 7065, Coby 8042, Coby 9740
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Traveller

Traveller Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros MID9742, Dell Streak 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, Nexus 6
    Given how old my 9742 is, it's no surprise I keep forgetting about the nand lock, despite posting that warning in large, red letters at the top of the post.

8. vampirefo.

Tablet / Device:
    Well this is the first full dump of any Coby tablet with nand lock that we have, no other person has made a dump and uploaded.

looking at this dump, the testkey is 4.0.4 while our roms are 4.0.3

ro.build.description=crane_MID9742_TianMa_sc3052-user 4.0.4 IMM76D 20130220 test-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=sc/crane_MID9742_TianMa_sc3052/crane-MID9742-TianMa-sc3052:4.0.4/IMM76D/20130220:user/test-keys

ro.build.date=Wed Feb 20 18:51:54 CST 2013

ro.build.id=IMM76D

ro.build.version.release=4.0.4

I will be able to make a cw recovery from this dump that will now work on the 9740 nand locked tables, but unlikely to help OP. The recovery would need be be installed before the nand becomes locked.

• Like Like x 4
  9. j2m_andro

j2m_andro Member

Tablet / Device:
    coby mid9740
    im so sorrrrryy i made a wrong move.. but i said it, i've been reading it.. the thing is, i found it toooo late when i remembered what i shouldn't have done, since ive got this tablet with builddated in 2013.. >_< but then i had it dumped, so i thought you guys could help me get through this..

so.. can my tablet still be saved???

im so sorry for causing you guys trouble..

--and i just got home earlier..

10. j2m_andro

j2m_andro Member

Tablet / Device:
    coby mid9740
    and here i am thinking my dumps were just complemented.. >_<

so please please..

11. j2m_andro

j2m_andro Member

Tablet / Device:
    coby mid9740
    i found this topic similar to mine.. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3/60076-solved-coby-kyros-9740-stuck-cwm.html thread's op said it was solved but didn't saw how he'd done it.. i tried loading the updates provided there to wipe cache partition but no luck.. tried loading the nand.ko file but still no luck..

D:\CobyADB>adb shell
    ~ # busybox cp /sdcard/nand.ko /tmp/nand.ko
    busybox cp /sdcard/nand.ko /tmp/nand.ko
    ~ # chmod 644 /tmp/nand.ko
    chmod 644 /tmp/nand.ko
    ~ # insmod /tmp/nand.ko
    insmod /tmp/nand.ko
    insmod: can't insert '/tmp/nand.ko': File exists
    ~ # lsmod
    lsmod
    nand 105401 0 - Live 0xbf000000
    ~ # mount -t ext4 /dev/block/nandh /cache
    mount -t ext4 /dev/block/nandh /cache
    mount: mounting /dev/block/nandh on /cache failed: No such file or directory
    ~ # rm -r /cache/*
    rm -r /cache/*
    rm: can't remove '/cache/*': No such file or directory

and this must have been because of that nand lock right??? will there be no way of saving ma tab?

12. vampirefo.

Tablet / Device:
    At this time there is no known way to fix your tablet, perhaps liivesuit could fix it, I don't provide livesuit images or support for them. My guess the OP of the thread you referred to either returned his tablet, or built a livesuit image on his own and fixed his tablet.

I have no time frame for when I will build a recovery or look into fixing a tablet with nand lock. This would be a time consuming project that I am just not willing to put much time into right now.

13. vampirefo.

Tablet / Device:
    Ok after looking through the bootloader, I might have an ideal might work might not.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

14. vampirefo.

Tablet / Device:
    I can't duplicate this problem on my test tablet.

What I have tried?

I installed your full dump onto my 1042 test tablet, rebooted, edit the screen size, installed my 9740 recovery from stock recovery, no nand lock recovery working as it should.

I then installed your stock recovery again, rooted and installed my cwm 9740 recovery via adb, booting into recovery, no nand lock recovery working as it should.

I then built a recovery based on your stock recovery kernel, removed the nand.ko to force the tablet into a boot loop, but a simple adb push of nand.ko and insmod the nand.ko fixed the problem.

I then built a livesuit image using your dump, flashed my test tablet with the image, resized the screen, repeated all of the above still no nand lock.

So I have no clue on what's triggering nand lock on your tablet, it's not the recovery, bootloader, system, boot.img.

Could be a hidden partition or hardware, if hardware there will never be a fix unless you disassemble the tablet and remove the hardware component that is causing the problem.

If hidden partition, which is most likely the cause, My guess nandj partition, then livesuit would most likely fix your tablet, as it would wipe out all partitions.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  15. dir

dir Member

@vampirefo

I'm having the same problem. What I did was:

1) Download and install the CWM recovery you posted here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...lopment/58222-cm9-coby-9740-new-recovery.html
    2) Download and install CM9 from the same link above, and were getting Can't mount /cache/ issues.

And now the device is on CWM loop. I tried to insmod the nand.ko file you posted from here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-3/60076-solved-coby-kyros-9740-stuck-cwm.html which loads, but having errors on dmesg. Here are the errors:
    Could it be a not supported/outdated nand.ko module?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014