Nook getting some competition @ low cost Tablet - 7" Galaxy???

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Saw this link at another site.

SAMSUNG GTP1010CWAXAR Galaxy Tab 7 WiFi Android Tablet - Android 2.2, 7in, 600x1024 (Portrait), 16GB, 1GHz, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n at TigerDirect.com

Was gonna pick up a Nook color next week - but the New Galaxy tablet - with full features gives me some pause.

Same specs as Nook Color screen resolution / same CPU < clocked higher out of the box >, with added 2 Cameras / Microphone / and Tablet Hardware Navigation buttons.

Priced @ 349 already on the Tiger Direct website.

I've not seen a Samsung Galaxy - but for those who have a Nook Color - and seen a Galaxy - would this make you reconsider if you had to buy new today? Not sure the extra function is worth 100 bucks - what say you?

Too bad you can't use NETFLIX - I'd be all over the Galaxy - HDMI for that one.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
well it is a nice unit but are camera and mic worth $100?

to me not really

Saw this link at another site.

SAMSUNG GTP1010CWAXAR Galaxy Tab 7 WiFi Android Tablet - Android 2.2, 7in, 600x1024 (Portrait), 16GB, 1GHz, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n at TigerDirect.com

Was gonna pick up a Nook color next week - but the New Galaxy tablet - with full features gives me some pause.

Same specs as Nook Color screen resolution / same CPU < clocked higher out of the box >, with added 2 Cameras / Microphone / and Tablet Hardware Navigation buttons.

Priced @ 349 already on the Tiger Direct website.

I've not seen a Samsung Galaxy - but for those who have a Nook Color - and seen a Galaxy - would this make you reconsider if you had to buy new today? Not sure the extra function is worth 100 bucks - what say you?

Too bad you can't use NETFLIX - I'd be all over the Galaxy - HDMI for that one.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
The Samsung Galaxy tab has been out long than the Nook Color. The only difference now is it has dropped in price to be more competitive to tabs in its class, such as the Nook Color, Viewsonic gtab, Huawei S7 and others. IMO if I had $350 to pay with I'd get the viewsonic. The hardware alone is hard to beat and the software will eventually catchup.

Dec 17, 2010
I'm happy with my Nook Color. It will hold me over for a couple years. Maybe by then I'll be ready to buy a nice 10" or 12" tablet with a couple gigs of RAM.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
I find it noteworthy - that Nook Color is introducing Froyo 2.2 Tablet update the same week as Galaxy WIFI is coming out on the marketplace. I'm guessing Froyo 2.2 will be on display @ their store showing off how it works as more than just an ereader.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
it is a shot in the bow across Amazon - since amazon telegraphed their intent with the app store

I find it noteworthy - that Nook Color is introducing Froyo 2.2 Tablet update the same week as Galaxy WIFI is coming out on the marketplace. I'm guessing Froyo 2.2 will be on display @ their store showing off how it works as more than just an ereader.

rytyshy

Dec 21, 2010
You can use Netflix with Android, if you use PlayOn... I know that isn't a true solution, but it works well for me on my Nook on WiFi at home.

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
I think it looks nice. But $100 more is a personal question you have to decide. How often would you use the extra features?

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
I think it looks nice. But $100 more is a personal question you have to decide. How often would you use the extra features?

Don't know. I'm PC literate - but Android illiterate. That's why I posted the question to Nook owners. Personally - I'd like to spend as little as possible - so it's a big factor to me. But I didn't want to unknowingly overlook something that I would really like to have - when it's available for a few bucks more.

Whatever device I choose will have to get me through the next 12 months at least - before I upgrade.

One thing that looks interesting with the Galaxy - that peaks my interest is the GPS in the Galaxy - but I'm not sure how that would work for me in actual usage as a GPS - b/c I don't have WIFI access in the car - and not quite sure how Google would load any maps without internet connectivity.

Netflix output to stream to a TV & GPS are the only 2 that stood out to me - as things I would for sure use - and I don't think either would be available for practical use if I chose the GALAXY though.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Candlestick,

I think both are really nice choices for the most part it does come down to the cameras. Personally I am not going to use a tablet to shoot pictures or video and don't really have any need or desire to video call so for me that means the cameras don't really make a difference.

The GPS is interesting but like you said for it to be of any real workd use you still need wifi. The Nook for all practical purposes will work just as well if you wifi and gps tether since you'd have to wifi tether the the galaxy anyway (you could cache map data but that will get old quickly). It might come down to which you perfer in person. Maybe if you have a chance to go to BestBuy and play you will like one better than the other (Ithink the nook is sleeker).

For the money the nook is very hard to beat and it should tide most anybody over until the next generation tablets are out. In the short term it would make sense to pay less knowing you will upgrade soon. If you plan on holding onto it for a while though the extra money spread out over a longer period makes less of a difference if it gets you what you want.

Jan 28, 2011
Without wifi connection, the GPS would be useless so you'll need another device anyway. There is Tether GPS in the market and it works great for using the Nook as a GPS device, and a heck of a lot cheaper than $100 more spent.

Candlestick

Mar 30, 2011
Candlestick,

I think both are really nice choices for the most part it does come down to the cameras. Personally I am not going to use a tablet to shoot pictures or video and don't really have any need or desire to video call so for me that means the cameras don't really make a difference.

Me either. I have no interest / or use for the Camera. I'd probably block off the Screen Camera if I had the device with a piece of dark tape.... LOL

For the money the nook is very hard to beat and it should tide most anybody over until the next generation tablets are out. In the short term it would make sense to pay less knowing you will upgrade soon. If you plan on holding onto it for a while though the extra money spread out over a longer period makes less of a difference if it gets you what you want.
That's where I'm strongly leaning. Nook Color price point is tough to beat. Viewsonic G - almost got me to move - but when I saw the screen wash out in person - had to pass on that one.

dangerousdee

Jan 19, 2011
I have to tell you I was in the same position back in January. An utter noob to Android. And I love my ebooks but sitting in front of my pc reading a book is just not fun. Even my netbook makes it a little chore as I am prone to fall asleep while reading. LOL I Love my Nook Color. Best money I spent on a gadget in a long time. I botched my first attempt at root, but I didn't check my MD5 sums to see that I got a pristine copy of the software. Then after a couple weeks I thought I would take a look again and see what progress was made, and I stumbled upon this wonderful resource of material here. Wow! A community to support my gizmo outside of tech support! Way cool! Haven't had this much fun and excitement since the dial up BBS of Compuserve in the 80's with a group of computer enthusiasts!

I loved the reader part and when I rooted it, I really opened the door to many fun bits of gagetry as well. I like that it is without the hassle of most program installations as on a PC. Albeit you may have to do some tap dancing and side loading with some apps, but for the most part, it is point and click functionality. The NC is a great gizmo to have around, I watch video recipe how to's for the kitchen, allow me to cook with the pro's and not miss a step. In less than two years tablets themselves will evolve and by then I will grab one of them for real convienence applications. Faster, and more useful blah blah. No matter what this will always be a reader with real moxy. I think I've read more books in epub format than I have real books in the last 3 months than I have in the last 3 years.

So if you get the NC now. Like Charlie Sheen says you'll be winning. And when the advanced tablets come out, well you'll be winning again. I found I want a gizmo like this in every room. Wow just like Star Trek!

durendel

Apr 5, 2011
I've had the Nook color for about a week and rooted it a few days ago so I don't have the experience with it some here do however I am disappointed by the lack of a real tablet OS. Some minor but persistent annoyances are that the launcher I use (Go Launcer EX) doesn't go into landscape mode when I turn the screen. The screen itself isn't as responsive to touches as the Apple devices I've used.