Play Music Through A SubZero Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setts

Jan 20, 2018
How do I connect my Samsung tablet to a speaker using a cable so as to play the music? It's not a bluetooth speaker it's a SubZero speaker ? I have an aux to usb cable and it also has the little squarish shaped re-charging adapter on the same cable but neither of them work: the tablet thinks that I have plugged ear-phones into the aux socket but I have plugged it into my speaker.
I don't want to plug it into the input socket because I want to plug my electric violin into that through a lead so I want to keep that socket free if possible.

Last edited:

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
The USB connection isn't intended for streaming audio, thus I believe your only option is to use a 3.5mm to RCA patch cable and use the AUX inputs. But a picture of the ports on the back of the speaker might be useful here, as there may be alternatives that we can't consider right now due to lack of information.

northpaw

May 21, 2015
I assume you are talking about NHT SuperZeros, which are standard, non-powered speakers (a rather good pair). Your tablet can't drive them directly. You would need to use an amp to drive those speakers.

To do that, the most common way would be to use the 3.5mm port (i.e., headphone port) on the tablet, either with a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable (with 2 plugs, red and white; this is what Traveler mentions above) that connect to the Aux inputs of a standard stereo receiver or amp, or a 3.5mm male-to-male cable that would connect to some newer "chip" amps that have a 3.5mm input jack. Then the amp or receiver then has to be connected to the speakers by standard speaker wires.

Alternatively, if you purchase a set of powered speakers, you can connect them via the 3.5mm port on the tablet, using the appropriate cable (the one of the two mentioned above, depending on the one that fits what inputs the speaker has).

If you are determined to use the USB port, your tablet needs to support USBAudio (many newer ones do), and you would need to purchase a USB cable that explicitly supports USBAudio, and either a powered speaker that accepts a USB input (I have some old PaloAlto Cubik speakers that do this; I suppose other similar but current options are out there). Of you wanted to use the NHT SuperZeros, you would need to buy a separate USB DAC+Amp that will drive standard non-powered speakers. That is to say, unfortunately, with either of these options, there is no free lunch.

Also in the non-free category, it is also possible to use a Bluetooth speaker (a version of a powered speaker) and do it all wirelessly, but you knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.