Playing mp4 movies

ab10

Jul 2, 2012
I am looking into buying a tablet, but want to make sure that I choose one that meets all of my needs. I need a tablet that will play mp4 videos. I have them on my iPod Touch right now, but would like to be able to see them on a larger screen. These mp4s are all converted from DVDs. Do android tablets have a program like iTunes that you sync things with? Would I be able to do this with something like the Nexus 7 or Samsung Galaxy?

Thanks for the help!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Hi and welcome top the forum

Multi-part answer. All the Android tablets I am aware of love MP4 files. The 2 you chose would be great. And there are quite a few MP4 video players available.

BUT iTunes is a PC/Mac program and as such no PC or MAC programs will install on Android. There are ways to get the videos from your PC to the tablet, not do much directly from the iPod.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

Any major brand of tablet (Samsung, Nexus, Asus, Acer, Motorola, Sony, Toshiba) will be able to play MP4 videos with ease.

There is no need to use anything like iTunes to put files on the tablets, but you can as there are some iTune-esque programs out there (like DoubleTwist).

I just plug my tablet in and copy the movies via USB connection.

One huge advantage of Android is you can play other types, like avi, mkv, etc. without having to convert them to .mp4 if you do not want to.

ab10

Jul 2, 2012
Thank you both for your quick replies!

I was concerned that I would not be able to watch movies on a tablet and stuck watching them on the tiny iPod touch.... now i have to do my research and choose an android tablet!!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I will tell you both leeshor and I are biased towards Asus for their Transformer line that has the keyboard dock to make it almost like a netbook and give 16-20 hours of usage on a single charge.

The TF300T is a great deal for the money right now. The TF201 has an IPS+ display that is readable in sunlight, and there should be a full HD (1080p) version coming out soon that is the TF700.

If you just want a tablet, the Acer A700 is a good deal too.

freetimed

Jan 3, 2016
I supply a powerful MP4 to Android converter-Avdshare Video Converter, which can convert MP4 to Android supporting format like MPEG-4 or H.264 AVC, thus play MP4 on Android phones or tablets.