Possible future NOOKcolor Timeline (Updates, development and NOOK App store)

Discussion in 'Nook Color Technical' started by rico2001, Jan 16, 2011.

1. rico2001

rico2001 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    Possible future NOOKcolor Timeline (Updates, development and NOOK App store)

Source

This info is not confirmed, so take with grain of salt. :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. rico2001

rico2001 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor

Source:
    General Discussion - Support

3. rico2001

rico2001 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    General Discussion - Support

Occasionally someone writes some good information on nookdevelopers.com

4. RaVenJ

RaVenJ Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color
    Frankly, I don't care what B&N comes up with for the device in the future. It'll never be as free and open as the community has made it. So let them bring their app store, I'll take freedom of choice over what they "let" me have..

I agree that putting the developers off like this is a huge mistake for them.

5. Carbira1

Carbira1 Member

Tablet / Device:
    Waiting for a good iPod Touch Android Device
    All that they need to do is ship them with Market installed.

6. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    For B&N the point isn't to ship them with the general Market. The point is to create a B&N market and sell a bunch of stuff that B&N can conrol and profit directly from. On the one hand this makes sense but on the other hand it can really back fire because like RaVenJ said it won't be as free and open and it doesn't look like it will have the community support at this point.

Many companies have tried to create their own little slice of the Market and failed. Even Microsoft hasn't been able to do it (first with music and now apps). Right now you are either Apple market or Google Android market if you want to have as many developers and customers as possible. Any other market at the moment is only niche and going to have a hard time keeping up with the jugarnauts.

7. AnimaTechnica

AnimaTechnica Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Droid, Haipad 701, Rooted Nook Color
    well if i were B&N i would enable open Market, provide flash acceleration then offer exclusive video content on the B&N store - this enables me to potentially get revenue from both stock and rooted users

8. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Nook Color, Nook Tablet 16GB, Vizio VTab, Nexus 7
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  9. faceman

faceman Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor on CM7 nightly w/ 1.1gHz OC
    B&N will NEVER enable a full Market... and the reason is Amazon/Kindle.

They have developed this awesome piece of dramatically underpriced hardware with the intention and hopes of expanding their eBook sales. If they allowed the market and people could download the kindle app, that would undercut their own sales - why would they ever do that? Not going to happen. They might (might - very big maybe here) un-officially acknowledge the rooting community, since it drives sales as well but I would guess it has less impact on sales than traditional user sales.

10. AnimaTechnica

Tablet / Device:
    well they should if not they are pretty short sighted - if they are after the same customer that buy the same products - Amazon can easily undercut them by giving away the kindle at next to nothing - however if they provide more value add to thier platform - i.e. open market, coupled with a selection of exclusive content - audio books, videos, graphic novels, and other rich media type content - then having a kindle app that ONLY plays books is not a threat, in fact, kindle customers might find the breadth of content in Nook color more enticing

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  11. rico2001

rico2001 Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOKcolor
    The app store would be a good thing although the store may not be popular or important to us that root, or fail in the long run. You all should remember rooted Nook users are still in the minority of those who own a Nook Color. Many people run unrooted and will appreciate any app availability or improvements to their device. The main thing us rooted user may care about is if and when B&N releases 2.2 software. This would give us a stable and polished working 2.2 version to then root and play with.

Like I've said a few time for people who ask if B&N will eventually stop us from rooting: as long as they are continue using android operating system as a base, we will be about to root. If we can root, the choice of what you want to run is then up to you. People who are still deciding on the Nook Color can rest assure on that fact.

12. tenderidol

tenderidol Member

Very well said. People always think that majority of NC users out there are rooters. It's exactly the opposite, actually. We are in minority and B&N will NEVER plan their future strategy based on rooters. The best they could do for us is to not try to block the rooting process, so that the "initial" sale that we provide will still be there. Even though their profit margin from eBooks is not that high, it is still better than giving that money to Amazon by allowing everyone to install Kindle app on NC. Once they open their own market, many NC users will be happy to pay for whatever apps are going to be on there (just look around B&N forums, people have been anxiously waiting). Most likely, their profit from per app would be much higher than per e-Book.

Someone mentioned that B&N should allow for "rich media content" on the NC by opening it up completely. In its current form, they do that already. I know a lot people who are running autonootered 1.1, because they have magazine subscriptions or kids books that feature "read to me". Try those with the Nook app from the market...

We buy the NC to have an android tablet, where as majority buy it as an e-Reader. If your local B&N organizes "Nook 101" seminars, just stop by to have a better idea about the demographic of the "real" NC owners. Any sort of app would be welcomed by those users and it will provide them the "freedom" to install what they'll like from the B&N app store (exact opposite of being "restrictive" for us).

13. AnimaTechnica

Tablet / Device:
    i think no one assumes rooters are the majority of nook color buyers, it is easily understood that most of us make up 5% if not less of buyers - however while we realize the potential and therefore find more value out of it, most buyers look at it only as an e-reader equivalent to any other e-readers - and this is exactly my point about Amazon reducing the price of kindle to the point it becomes a commodity, then Nook Color lose out because it is compared against a less featured devices in the e-reader category - If BN opens up the capability and markets it as such, it becomes a different category of device and therefore can be perceived as a better buy -

i don't think the rich media capability is realized by most buyers - they see a a book with sounds as a sample - rather than a fully capable device - my point is they can change how they position this as a media consumption device that includes not only books but music, videos, etc...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011