Questions About 9740-8

swope1221

Dec 25, 2012
Hi everyone, got a new 9740-8, and I have rooted many Motorola droid telephones, but not a tablet. I've read the following thread: READ FIRST: Development Index and Root Utility and I was wondering if rooting would enable any of the following on the 9740.

1. Will it enable location services so apps (weather, maps, etc.) can find my current location? I have google location servies checked under system settings, but it can't find my location.

2. Use video calling in Skype? I have skype downloaded, but there's no option to test my camere so I don't know if video calling works.

3. I've gotten used to using 1mobile, amazon app store and slideme for my apps, so I don't need to root for gapps, however, if the rooting method is pretty foolproof I wouldn't mind having gapps :)

Grea site for information. Thanks for help in advance.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Just keep what you got, there is more to getting location to work than rooting, honestly rooting itself doesn't do anything. It just provides you the ability to modify your tablet, unrooted tablets can't make modifications.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Getting network location services running is definitely not for the faint of heart. It requires tearing apart critical Android files to make changes, which is more advanced than simply rooting. It took me a few hours just to edit one Android file, because I had to do all the edits manually in Windows.

Vampirefo's advice is sound: stick with what you have. You can use fake GPS apps on the Play Store to simulate network location, but obviously they won't take positional changes into account.

newandroid

Mar 12, 2013
Looking for a way to enable Location Services on my MID9740-8 and found this thread. Just so i understand correctly, is there any way to ger network locations services to work on the 9740? I'd like to use it for google maps and for location finder apps in case I misplace my 9740. Also, i already rooted following your instrutions from your other threads. Thanks.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011

newandroid

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks guys. Unfortunately the link to the framework.diff file is not working. Any other way to get this file? Thanks.

newandroid

Mar 12, 2013
That link requires registering at the site. Try Location Services instead. The changes can be done in Windows, but it will take longer as the edits have to be done by hand due to Windows not understanding difference files.

Thanks for the link but the Framework.diff file is not available for download anymore. Any other advise on how to get lcoation services running? Thanks.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
That is because the site the quoted post links to isn't functioning properly. Your options are these:

1. Make the edits manually (what I did for the 9742 framework)
  2. Download and install one of my tweaked 9742 framework files.
The 9740 and 9742 are essentially identical in terms of Android itself, so the 9742 framework should work in your 9740. However, and this is imperative, make a nandroid backup BEFORE you start.

paulwalter824

Oct 17, 2013
well i was hoping that fixing the location services would be a simple fix on my 9740 but it looks like I will have to do without it until I learn a whole lot more about android
I just wanted it to show my location so the videos on the nfl app would play
I can't seem to get any of the fake location apps to work on it either is there a trick to that ? if I could fake it it would be enough for me

paulwalter824

Oct 17, 2013
That is because the site the quoted post links to isn't functioning properly. Your options are these:

The 9740 and 9742 are essentially identical in terms of Android itself, so the 9742 framework should work in your 9740. However, and this is imperative, make a nandroid backup BEFORE you start.

I tried your tweaked framework on my 9740 and it would not boot at all , but clockwork mod did it's thing and I was able to restore back ok.
guess I need to keep looking for my answer for the 9740.

maybe after I gain more confidence and learn some more I will try making the edits manually as you suggest, but not there yet.

paulwalter824

Oct 17, 2013

ok so if I do not have the framework.diff file what are the edits I need to make to the framework file to fix this problem?
I am willing to give it a go if i knew what edits have to be done?

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Congrats on getting it working. Even tho I have cm10 for my 7042, I prefer cm9. Best rom for gen 3.

Last edited: