RCA Tablet HDMI To TV

realisticdave

Jan 14, 2016
Hi, bought an RCA 10 Viking Pro tablet recently. I like everything about it, I'm able to do all that I've tried---and want to do---and I'm enjoying it. I do have one question, though. I want to connect a mini-HDMI cable to a TV HDMI port. I'm thinking that perhaps I have a defective cable, and I'd appreciate comments about what I've done thus far.
  • I purchased the cable new from Amazon (thus I can't just go locally and exchange the cable). The connections on both ends seem secure. I turned on HDMI in my tablet's settings, and I left the resolution setting at Auto (default). Plugged cable into HDMI port on (Vizio) TV, navigated to that port, screen shows black with "Resolution Not Supported." No settings to change resolution on TV (at least that I could find, including reading manual), so I stepped through all settings on tablet (1080, 720, 480, etc.) and no difference. Tried all three ports on TV, Roku box works fine in any of them.
  • Moved to my wife's (LG) TV, unplugged her Amazon Firestick, and plugged in the RCA tablet. Now, screen shows black with "No Signal" message.
  • Lastly, went to an older (Vizio) TV, unplugged Roku Stick, plugged in tablet, and this time no message, just a black screen.
I'm thinking that this cable is bad, and the varying results in each TV just have to do with the TV. Bottom line---none of the TVs can see a valid signal, and because other devices work in the HDMI ports, they've been eliminated as a problem. My wife looked around other websites and found some people saying that it made a difference about which device was powered up first (TV or tablet), but I've tried various combinations and no change.

Can anyone think of something that I may have overlooked? I've been over and over what I've done, and I don't see anything that I've done wrong. I'm ready to send the cable back for a replacement, but just wanted to see what comments I may receive. Thanks!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I can't think of anything you haven't already tried. It's either the cable or the HDMI port on the tablet.

realisticdave

Jan 14, 2016
Welcome to the forum

I can't think of anything you haven't already tried. It's either the cable or the HDMI port on the tablet.

Thanks for the comment. I was pretty certain I covered all the bases, so I'll return the cable for a replacement...and hope that it was the problem and not the mini-HDMI port on the tablet---although the tablet's still under warranty. Thanks again!

tps2u

Apr 11, 2016
I have the same RCA model. The HDMI does not work nor does the micro USB for charging. When I tried to charge through the micro USB port it actually discharges the battery. I could send it back for repair but would have to pay shipping and wait up to 5 weeks for it to come back. Since I only paid $79 for it and it h has all the other specs, I am happy with it and going to just keep it

realisticdave

Jan 14, 2016
Well, I guess I'm one up on you. I've given up trying to connect to a TV via HDMI, but I've been using a micro USB charger from my wife's old Blackberry tablet, and it does a good job, actually a bit quicker than the supplied charger. I only paid $80 or so for my RCA, as well, and after having it for almost 5 months, my opinion is still what I wrote earlier---I like most of the features, and I'm getting a lot of use out of it. One annoyance that I've found since my original post is that some of the Android apps that work on my wife's (more expensive Acer) tablet are "Not compatible with this device" in the Play Store, for the RCA. But for the money, I'll use it for a while, and when I replace it, I'll likely go for a better one.

dianneschuch

Apr 15, 2016
This really makes me angry to read how complacent you all are about being sold an obviously defective piece of merchandise.
I bought this tablet specifically because I needed an HDMI port. My port broke on my Asus and since I am on a fixed income I needed an affordable fix.
I paid $124 for mine.
The HDMI worked for 32 days and then nothing
I have all my banking and password info on here so I am stuck.
Yes it is a decent product otherwise FOR THE MONEY but it is wrong for them to continue to sell a product to unwary consumers that has a constant repeated defect.
They read this and see they are getting away with it.
Product confidence is no longer important.

realisticdave

Jan 14, 2016
I don't personally feel that I'm "complacent" about this, but probably just resigned that I made a mistake and not much can be done at this point. In my situation, I purchased this from Walmart on a "Site-To-Store" basis; I live within walking distance of a WM, and so I often look online for items I'm wishing to purchase, and if the price is right, I have it shipped to my neighborhood store.

In the past, I've often also purchased the extended Walmart (actually, "Asurion") warranty on items I've purchased. Only needed to use the extended warranty once (on an ACER laptop), but I was glad I had it.These extended plans are normally about 10-12% of the purchase price...at least for the items that I've purchased one for. I looked at the warranty on this RCA tablet and it was about $32---on an $80 tablet! (About 40% of the original purchase price!) To compare this with an iPad at WM, the purchase price for an Air 2 WiFi is currently $400-500---but the extended warranty is $48, or about 11% of the purchase price. There may be other reasons for this, but my personal opinion is that (like all insurance products) this much higher warranty price has to do with the number of claims (actual and expected) for the RCA tablet.

It was my fault that I neglected to note the change in return policy for electronic items that Walmart had made---from 90 days to 15---so although I planned to spend some time to test everything about the RCA tablet within warranty and return it if there were problems, when I started to do this after the Holidays---the return period had already expired. The tech support from RCA for this product was a joke, after 2 e-mails the only person who apparently was there ("Paul") never answered my questions, simply did a cut & paste from the online manual. Looked into the warranty return, same info as an earlier post (I pay shipping and a long delay), and had never received a straight answer as to whether the returned one would actually work via the HDMI port.

So, I guess the lesson for me is that like many quality product names from the past, Radio Corporation of America (RCA) is another name that means absolutely nothing anymore. Just going to use this as I can, until it no longer functions. I'm 68 years old, and still learning!

ny17

Oct 3, 2016
Hi, bought an RCA 10 Viking Pro tablet recently. I like everything about it, I'm able to do all that I've tried---and want to do---and I'm enjoying it. I do have one question, though. I want to connect a mini-HDMI cable to a TV HDMI port. I'm thinking that perhaps I have a defective cable, and I'd appreciate comments about what I've done thus far.
  • I purchased the cable new from Amazon (thus I can't just go locally and exchange the cable). The connections on both ends seem secure. I turned on HDMI in my tablet's settings, and I left the resolution setting at Auto (default). Plugged cable into HDMI port on (Vizio) TV, navigated to that port, screen shows black with "Resolution Not Supported." No settings to change resolution on TV (at least that I could find, including reading manual), so I stepped through all settings on tablet (1080, 720, 480, etc.) and no difference. Tried all three ports on TV, Roku box works fine in any of them.
  • Moved to my wife's (LG) TV, unplugged her Amazon Firestick, and plugged in the RCA tablet. Now, screen shows black with "No Signal" message.
  • Lastly, went to an older (Vizio) TV, unplugged Roku Stick, plugged in tablet, and this time no message, just a black screen.
I'm thinking that this cable is bad, and the varying results in each TV just have to do with the TV. Bottom line---none of the TVs can see a valid signal, and because other devices work in the HDMI ports, they've been eliminated as a problem. My wife looked around other websites and found some people saying that it made a difference about which device was powered up first (TV or tablet), but I've tried various combinations and no change.

Can anyone think of something that I may have overlooked? I've been over and over what I've done, and I don't see anything that I've done wrong. I'm ready to send the cable back for a replacement, but just wanted to see what comments I may receive. Thanks!
Hi, having the same problem with the same RCA table. Purchase a mini HDMI cable to TV HDMI and trying to play off
the tablet to TV, it isn't working. Tried the HDMI ports on TV all 4 of them and nothing is showing on TV but a No signal
word across the tv screen.
Does anyone know what can be done to make the tv screen show the same thing that is on my tablet? Saw you tube
videos on how to hook up from tablet to vizio tv and the you tube guys worked; not mine and I did it exactly as the video
showed.
Any reply on what I may do would be greatly appreciated.
After your post did you get a resolution?
Thanks

realisticdave

Jan 14, 2016
No, I never did get the problem resolved. I think that the RCA tablet isn't capable of working through the cable. I can cast through the newest Roku stick,usually, but never got it to work otherwise. Hope you can find a solution, but don't hold you're breath!

ny17

Oct 3, 2016
No, I never did get the problem resolved. I think that the RCA tablet isn't capable of working through the cable. I can cast through the newest Roku stick,usually, but never got it to work otherwise. Hope you can find a solution, but don't hold you're breath!
Thanks for the reply, I will try and contact RCA and ask them about it.

ny17

Oct 3, 2016
Thanks for the reply, I will try and contact RCA and ask them about it.
realisticdave:
Was in contact with RCA customer service by email since 10/3, and they didn't give me a resolution to the mirror image from tablet to tv screen. Didn't give up; kept trying things on my own. I finally got the RCA tablet to show on my tv screen by reading this post How to mirror an Android device on your TV
and also I plugged in my mini hdmi cable to my hdmi port on my tv and alone that didn't work, so I tried also plugging in a usb to micro usb cable from tablet to tv and behold I now get the movies from my tablet to show on my tv screen. So I believe both ports(hdmi mini and micro usb ports) have to be plugged into the tv together. I am now watching movies from my tablet on my tv screen but both cables are coming from the tablet. I was almost about to send my tablet in for repair since I am still under warranty.
Hope this helps you get yours running, Good Luck!
I am a woman who knew I could do it, and never give up trying.

celestialeye

Mar 28, 2017
I kicked myself rather gently after going through 5 suggestions. For about twenty minutes I was convinced my tablet was defective or blame could placed upon a faulty cable. My adventure is as follows:

Powering down / unplugging. Nothing.
Using both HDMI cable and USB in conjunction. Nothing.
Downloading Google Home. Nope
Attempting to let RCA Viking Pro tablet and Roku to discover each other...Nah-uh.
{With HDMI cable in place} Opening "Settings" on RCA Viking Pro, going to "Display", going to "HDMI Settings {Click to configure HDMI}" ... clicking "HDMI", seeing a √ appear next to it, and then a confirmation icon in my {top left corner} notification area. Bingo was his name-o.
Happy viewing.

realisticdave

Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for the comment and suggestions. I hadn't tried this for a while, and what you suggested sounded familiar, so I went through the steps again today. I had done exactly what you had done to no avail, and I now remembered what my results were:
  • Going to the settings on the tablet, the default HDMI Resolution is Auto. Leaving it on that, I get just a whole screen of very colorful pixels and nothing else. When I step through the various options available on the tablet for setting a specific resolution, I get a blank screen with "Resolution Not Supported" showing on the TV.
  • Before I started this thread, I had tried this on both of my TVs (both Vizio), tried another cable, and tried to find a place to change settings on the TVs. I was simply plugging the cable into an open HDMI port on the TV, and couldn't find any place to change resolution settings on TV. I forgot to update my original thread message that I had contacted Vizio, and there isn't a manual setting of the TV. It's simply 'Auto' and matches whatever is plugged in, according to Vizio.
So, thanks for your suggestions, but I think the problem is that my TV isn't compatible. Might work fine with another brand of TV, but doesn't seem to play well with Vizio. Cheers!

celestialeye

Mar 28, 2017
Thanks for the comment and suggestions. I hadn't tried this for a while, and what you suggested sounded familiar, so I went through the steps again today. I had done exactly what you had done to no avail, and I now remembered what my results were:
  • Going to the settings on the tablet, the default HDMI Resolution is Auto. Leaving it on that, I get just a whole screen of very colorful pixels and nothing else. When I step through the various options available on the tablet for setting a specific resolution, I get a blank screen with "Resolution Not Supported" showing on the TV.
  • Before I started this thread, I had tried this on both of my TVs (both Vizio), tried another cable, and tried to find a place to change settings on the TVs. I was simply plugging the cable into an open HDMI port on the TV, and couldn't find any place to change resolution settings on TV. I forgot to update my original thread message that I had contacted Vizio, and there isn't a manual setting of the TV. It's simply 'Auto' and matches whatever is plugged in, according to Vizio.
So, thanks for your suggestions, but I think the problem is that my TV isn't compatible. Might work fine with another brand of TV, but doesn't seem to play well with Vizio. Cheers!

Only after attempting to assist did I re-read your posts and realize that you found a way around the obstacle at hand...also that had you not opened the posts in the first place, I may still have been attempting to wrap my head around it and waiting for an adapter I didn't really need. So ta