refurb w/folio at overstock.com $189

southsound

Dec 3, 2011
Or if you are a Costco member, many of the stores have brand new, fresh stock for $189 for the VTAB1008 only. Then, go to Walmart and purchase the Vizio folio case for $19.99 - you have to ask them to match the walmart.com price to get it for $19.99.

Just a note - my local Costco (Tumwater, WA) had them in a glass jewelry case - not exactly easy to find. But they did have 30 of them.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
LOL it strikes me funny, I have this tablet and love it. But I read posts that claim it to be a cheap do nothing tablet with all kinds of problems.
All devices have some issues, Look at the Asus Transformer Prime. Cost two and a half times this device and has far more problems.
As for the 1008 for such a poor device they certainly are a hi demand item that nobody should want.
Heavy sarcasm intended.

hardsell

Sep 19, 2011
To be honest if you read all my posts you would see I've had many troubles with the vtab. I originally rated it terrible (2/10) then grudgingly raised that to a low average (4-5/10) but a lot of my problem was i was one of those who paid over $300 for it when it first came out and even vizio agreed it wasn't worth that as the price came down $140 bucks, but I've slowly chilled down on my anger by thinking .....

what if I had purchased a HP touchpad 599 to 99, or a rim playbook 5-799? to 199, or an htc evo view 4-699? to 250ish, so I can get over the price drop thing but being one of the few (the stupid?) who did buy this for over $300 I do still smack my head why did I NOT spend the extra 70 bucks for a dual core with dual cameras and quadruple the ram honeycomb tablet (darn that Lisa from mobiletechreview who made this sound so good:)

I enjoy and use my $79 7inch craig tablet more than the vizio, I almost forgot I had the vtab; it was buried under papers on my pc table. But I cant return for full credit, or sell without losing over half so its here in a back up role until it no longer recharges and it is taking more wiggle time to get the charging indicator going each time so wonder if it will be working 3 months from now. If it dies then that $250 quad-core Memo 370T will probably be out Asus Memo 370T changes the game by offering four cores for the price of two | CES 2012: Tablets and E-book Readers - CNET Blogs and that looks like the most promising 7 incher (my preferred size) that is coming out soon

if you watch the daily sale sites there seems to be a couple of tablets on sale every week so you might find better at the $200 and under $ range but at it's current price at a store with a good return policy (costco) its a good entry level tablet/ remote control for those who want a no frills tablet whose main feature is the price

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Only remember seeing this one, I originally bought mine from Walmart for about 189.00 and have had little trouble out of it. I am sorry that you have had problems with them, and I do believe you when you say you have had problems, but I can only make recommendations on this device based off my personal experience.
I would and do recommend this tablet to everyone who asks.
If I may ask for more information on the Craig tablet. Only 79.00?! Where did you get this? And what is your overall opinion of it. Specifically.
Also I have heard about Asus coming out with a new 7 inch model but have heard little about it, I will bookmark your link for a later read, thanks for posting it.

Getting back to the Vizio. Have you tried calling Vizio and seeing if they will fix it under warranty, most of these devices have 1 year coverage from the company.

hardsell

Sep 19, 2011
I first heard about the Craig Tablets at the android forum at mobileread:

Just Bought the CRAIG Android 7" Tablet from CVS
Just Bought the CRAIG Android 7" Tablet from CVS - MobileRead Forums

and it had a LOT of replies/page views so read it and kept the craig in mind

checked CVS and it wasn't available in my region then doing a look at other forums spotted:

Craig Tablets Spotted at Rite Aid October 2011
Craig Tablets Spotted at Rite Aid October 2011 - SlateDroid.com

and a week later saw it in their circular that came in the weeks junk mail day for $99 but you had to be a "wellness" member so signed up and within a week had a email only coupon for $20 off sale $99 (reg $119) and thats how I got if for $79

if not available at riteaid or cvs is at ebay for various prices but some say craig but they actually are coby

craig tablet | eBay
Craig CMP738 4GB 7" Android Internet Tablet on eBay!
Craig CMP738B Wireless 7" Touch Screen Android Tablet E-Reader WiFi 4GB (731398487387) | eBay

they seem to sell fast one of the above links had 4 units and when I rechecked the link was down to 2

I like the craig _because_ it is a stupid tablet the vizio is too "squirmy" of my 7 problems (too hot, poor battery, hard to hold, frequent crashes to "desktop", crashes to the loading screen (V on black background) which loses my place in books, the charger is getting looser by the use, sd card storage) the craig doesn't exhibit any of them plus it is so cheap if I actually used it on a bus or rapid/subway and someone decided to take it (in general never flash anything techy in what my neighborhood has become) I could live with the loss, remembering my vizio was at the over $300 price point when I got it

the craig has a REAL bezel to hold unlike the vizio's all glass top which seems to trigger stuff even when my thumbs (I swear) were not on the screen

I like the narrower 7 inch design which actually fits into coat pockets unlike the viziothe craig has a separate power adapter which has that reassuring _click_ when you plug it in

I can be charging the craig with one cord be sideloading from pc with the usb cord at the same time

I didn't want to buy another mini sd card for the craig but didn't have to as it has a full size usb slot so my old flash drives all work

I primarily use my tablets for reading; I have 2 pc's and a laptop to play games watch movies etc so my needs are less than most, the craig hasn't been able to play angry birds or raging thunder lite for me but I can play chess, checkers, backgamon, go, 5 card games, etc and I can get to the Internet to check facts of books at wikis etc it takes forever to buffer youtube videos but plays converted to mp3 youtubes sideloaded from pc ok the vizios floating speakers do sound better

there are home, on and settings buttons on the one narrow end of the craig but they take a PUSH to work (raised buttons) so the annoying (squirmyness) of the vizio just brush any of the 3 ghost buttons and I have to hit the back button which takes two hands on the vizio but I can do one handed on the craig. The craig takes a firmer push to use almost everything comes with a stylus hidden on back but I like that, the craig doesnt "jump around" the notifications stay dormant unlike the vizios which seem to activate if I exhale too hard, ebook pages stay turned where the vizios can suddenly flip forward several pages on landscape mode

the vizios power button is in my left hand's palm while in landscape mode and with a wrong squeeze it wants to shut down these are all minor annoyances to be sure but they are why I like the the craig more, I don't even have a tv so the remote control feature of the vtab never was a concern

If I bought some things the forums say I could use the gps of the craig but since I can't drive thats not a major issue I can set up a walking get to X directions on google maps or navigate app while still in a wifi area and use the saved routes, or screenshots of like bus timetables so I don't need to be online to use...

anyway craig specs:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/craig-tablets/11195-craig-electronics-inc-epad-cmp-738a-android-os-2-2-flash-8-a.html

the
forum here to read about it
Craig Tablets

there is an A version 2.2 and a B version 2.3, the a version is supposed to root better if you go in for that stuff

edited to put in paragraph breaks AGAIN

Last edited:

vtabuser

Jan 20, 2012
I am sorry you have been unsatisfied with you vtab. I can say that I have been completed happy with mine, especially at a $179 with an extra charger and the folio case. Of course I may be singing a different tune if I had payed basically twice as much for it. I think that vizio has got the price point right it is agreat value. I have used my nephews kindle fire and have to say for the similar price range I would much rather have my vtab.

Since I have found the right launcer and the right settings on my vtab it is responsive and stable, and with good battery life. I have read thousands of pages on it and withthe folio cover it is quite comfortable to hold, maybe just a tinge heavier than I'd like. My only complaint so far has been with the charger, but I think a 90 degree plug will fix that problem as well.

vtabuser

Jan 20, 2012
...and I apologize for the horrible grammer in the last post, should have proofread before posting.