rooting the slider?

saltyreef79

Dec 19, 2011
just got my slider about a week ago, was wanting to root it tryed razorclaw but kept saying i was missing a file.
not new to rooting i have been through it with all my phones.
anyone able to get theirs to root?

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Android Tablet Forum

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
What is the build number of your slider firmware?

Settings - About - Build Number

I think it needs to be 8.6.6.18 or newer for RazorClaw to work.

saltyreef79

Dec 19, 2011
it is 8.6.5.13 i have tried running firmware update buyt says its already uptodate

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Android Tablet Forum

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I misspoke earlier, 8.6.6.18 is for the TF101G.

What is the full build number, not just those numbers. It should be something like HTK75_US_epad-8.6.5.19-20111107.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Here is what I would try:

First, Go to Settings - About - Update. Tap the Check for update about 5 times in quick succession to see if that triggers an updated. One of the firmware versions had a glitch with this.

If that does not work, go to Settings - Applications - All - DMClient - Force Close then Clear Data.

Reboot (hold the power/lock button for 10 seconds until the screen goes blank)

Next, go to Settings - About - Update. Tap the check for update (maybe a few times) to see if it prompts for update.

If you are prompted for the update, tap the notification area and tap on the ASUS Update.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
didnt work any other ideas

Only other thing I would try is a hard reset (which will not wipe data) and then try checking for an update again.

Hard reset:

Shut down and unplug the USB/Charger cable.

Hold VOL DOWN and POWER/LOCK for 10-12 seconds until some text appears.

Next screen will have 2 icons, the right one of Andy the Android should be highlighted in a green field.

Wait 10 seconds and it will say Cold-Booting Linux and it will boot into Android.

After booted check for update.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I guess a call to ASUS to see if they have a newer firmware out for the slider specifically, and if they have any other methods to update.

There is a manual update using a microSD, but ASUS does not have the .18 or .19 firmware on their site.